Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Multimeter : Have I got the wrong leads.?

Options
  • 26-05-2010 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong here, but I bought a new multimeter this morning, brought it home and I cant hook up the test leads. This is what I bought.

sealey_mm20_1.jpg
    Sealey MM20 - Digital Multimeter 20 Function with Thermocouple
    (There's a image of the inputs and the manual for the device on this page)..

This is a pic of the black test lead.
    testlead.jpg

Not that experienced with these things, am I doing something completely stupid.. ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

have you tried to plug the leads in? do they just not fit?
    what do you want to use the meter for? the leads on the bottom are a thermocouple, black in common then red, depends what you're reading, where did you get it?, look at the instructions, unless thats all obvious and something amiss that I cant tell from pictures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Merch wrote: »
    depends what you're reading, where did you get it?, look at the instructions, unless thats all obvious and something amiss that I cant tell from pictures?
    - Got it in the local motor factors.
    - Want to read the voltage across my car battery to make sure there is nothing wrong with the contacts in the car. Instructions say plug the black test lead into COM and then the red lead in to right hand input socket, but it doesnt fit..
    - The thermocouple connection that you referenced (both red and black) DO fit in to the inputs of the multimeter, but not the one on the test lead (marked B on my photo above).

Turns out there were rubber caps on the top of end B.. After near breaking them they both eventually came off.. you can get rid of this thread mods

- Got it in the local motor factors.
    - Want to read the voltage across my car battery to make sure there is nothing wrong with the contacts in the car. Instructions say plug the black test lead into COM and then the red lead in to right hand input socket, but it doesnt fit..
    - The thermocouple connection that you referenced (both red and black) DO fit in to the inputs of the multimeter, but not the one on the test lead (marked B on my photo above).

You will be able to measure the voltage on your car battery, plug black probe lead into com (common) and red into the right hand socket as you mention above, this will only tell you the voltage, not sure what you mean check the contacts in the car? unless you are checking relays also? you will need to turn the rotary dial to the white sector between the 9 and 11 o clock position (top left quadrant) at either 20 or prob work at 200 also not 200m(thats millivolts) you should be getting a reading of 12.something ie 12.5-12.8 with the engine off.

You will be able to measure the voltage on your car battery, plug black probe lead into com (common) and red into the right hand socket as you mention above, this will only tell you the voltage, not sure what you mean check the contacts in the car?.

I thought maybe the terminals connected to the battery may have been damaged or corroded. Turns out the battery shows only 11.6V :( Cycling to a motor factors tomorrow to see if the battery is any good and get it charged. This is a useful video I found by the way.

Multimeter very handy..

• Advertisement

I presume your car isn't starting if you're checking the battery voltage?
    if it ran flat from trying to start maybe there's another problem, like the starter itself or the charging.

I presume your car isn't starting if you're checking the battery voltage? if it ran flat from trying to start maybe there's another problem, like the starter itself or the charging.

I've a thread already running in the motors about this Merch.. Appreciate you trying to help, but I pretty sure it's the battery.. multimeter confirmed it. Car was sitting up a long time. Coil spring broke on it today when I turned the steering wheel.. so I've a few issues with it.

tbh, I feel like a fkn eegit for starting the thread but the instructions werent great for the multimeter.. Have to fix the pickups and pots on my guitar as well, so needed the multimeter for that as well. handy little device.. 20 euro, great value... but apparently not idiot proof.. ;)

Advertisement