Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Vision + Viewpoint V's Literary Genre

Options
  • 26-05-2010 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Im just wondering which has a better success rate with students. Do students get more A's in the GV+V or LG? I am thinking along the lines that most student answer on the GV+V so would the A's be less frequent there? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

BarbiePink wrote: »
    Im just wondering which has a better success rate with students. Do students get more A's in the GV+V or LG? I am thinking along the lines that most student answer on the GV+V so would the A's be less frequent there? :confused:

We did Culture Context and LG. I went into the mocks and LG came up (which i hated) so i had a go at GV+VP and the only thing i knew were my quotes and that i had to explain the outlook on life or something like that and i got the fourth highest mark in the class for my answer. But i suppose its all down to personal opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BarbiePink

So if you have a good personal opinion on the topic GV+V can be the one to get the marks in?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

We haven't done LG in our class just GV and CC.

CC is the easiest by far. All you have to do is just go on about the character's worlds and how different aspects of culture in their worlds are portrayed in the text. Role of women, religion, education etc. Only problem is it came up last year. :(

Can't comment on LG but I believe that you have to use the correct terminology in your answer and it's the most technical of the three but not sure to be honest.

GV is fine, did it in the mocks without preparing it at all because was focusing on the poetry and single texts at that stage and managed to get a good grade for my essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Apparently LG is the 'hot tip'.

I hope to god CC will come up. Love it. It came up on the contingency paper last year, but does anyone know what comparison modes came up on the original paper??

Had the most horrible dream last night....... 'Theme or Issue' and 'General V and V' came up.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

what is that theme or issue question? I didn't know it existed until checking the papers recently! Our teacher has never mentioned it, why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

zam wrote: »
    Apparently LG is the 'hot tip'.

I hope to god CC will come up. Love it. It came up on the contingency paper last year, but does anyone know what comparison modes came up on the original paper??

Had the most horrible dream last night....... 'Theme or Issue' and 'General V and V' came up.....
    That's not even possible surely...there is three comparative modes this year...so if you study two, one is guaranteed to come up.

Or is that why it was a horrible dream they put in theme and issue that's not even on the course this year. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

what is that theme or issue question? I didn't know it existed until checking the papers recently! Our teacher has never mentioned it, why?
    Don't worry about it that was one of the comparative modes last year. I know I'm a repeat. :cool:

Three for this year are Literary Genre, Cultural Context and General vision and viewpoint. Sorry for double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

BarbiePink wrote: »
    I am thinking along the lines that most student answer on the GV+V so would the A's be less frequent there? :confused:

Rubbish, there's no quota of As for certain questions! An excellent essay that addresses the question asked will get an A. One that doesn't won't. Don't try this nonsense of trying to psychoanalyse the examiner and predict which essay will be most/least attempted.

Prepare your essays. Answer the exam question that you feel you can do best in.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Ha don't worry, sorry to spread the fear I experienced in my horrible nightmare last night - theme or issue isn't on the course this year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

deemark wrote: »
    Rubbish, there's no quota of As for certain questions!

The exam is marked to a curve!

Generally, the least answered questions are easier to get the points in if you know your stuff. Tbh though Barbiepink, I haven't a clue as to which has a greater sucess rate. Maybe try reading the chief examiners report.

• Advertisement

Cian92 wrote: »

Here we go with the conspiracy theories again....:rolleyes:

If you know your stuff and answer the question, you'll get the marks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Generally, the least answered questions are easier to get the points in if you know your stuff. Tbh though Barbiepink, I haven't a clue as to which has a greater sucess rate. Maybe try reading the chief examiners report.

That's crazy, you completly contradict yourself. If the exam is marked to a curve then the same ratio of students get A's in every question therefore it isn't any easier or harder to get marks in either. An A answer is an A answer regardless of how many people attempt it. You're assuming that if there are less people doing it then the quality is less which isn't the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Every test is standardised.

If too many people get A's they'll find a way to change a mark on something so that not all people will have gotten it right and some will drop to Bs.

Here we go with the conspiracy theories again....:rolleyes:

Theory? It is a fact!

That's crazy, you completly contradict yourself. If the exam is marked to a curve then the same ratio of students get A's in every question therefore it isn't any easier or harder to get marks in either. An A answer is an A answer regardless of how many people attempt it. You're assuming that if there are less people doing it then the quality is less which isn't the case.

Most likely if less people do it the standard will be lower, therefore easier to get a higher result. For eg, my english teacher told us if Kavangah was to appear on this years paper, a huge amount of people would attempt that question, as he is considered to be easier. Therefore the standard would be higher for this question as you are competing with much more people, so it would be harder to get your A1.

Lets take the HL maths paper as an example, only 3% attempted Further Probability and statisitcs in 2005, the average score was 42 out of 50 in that question. The furter Calculus and Series question was answered by 95% of candidates yet the average score was only 37.

There are a few exceptions, but often the standard is lower in the least attempted questions and thus easier to pick up marks.

Most likely if less people do it the standard will be lower, therefore easier to get a higher result. For eg, my english teacher told us if Kavangah was to appear on this years paper, a huge amount of people would attempt that question, as he is considered to be easier. Therefore the standard would be higher for this question as you are competing with much more people, so it would be harder to get your A1.

Lets take the HL maths paper as an example, only 3% attempted Further Probability and statisitcs in 2005, the average score was 42 out of 50 in that question. The furter Calculus and Series question was answered by 95% of candidates yet the average score was only 37.

There are a few exceptions, but often the standard is lower in the least attempted questions and thus easier to pick up marks.

Wow, you must be an examiner with that inside knowledge:rolleyes:

Often, the question on the popular poet has a more difficult wording, which means students have to work harder and twist their answers to get the marks. It doesn't mean that it is marked harder! If students read the question and answer it, they will get the marks. Yes, lots of people will probably answer on Kavanagh for example, but a huge amount of them will think that merely slapping down their learned-off essay on the page will get them the marks.

If you want to choose your questions based on what you think other people will do, go ahead, but don't think that a half-arsed answer on Eliot which ignores the question will gain you the same marks as a well thought out, focused answer on Kavanagh or any other poet.

You can't use Maths as an example to back up a point about English, that's just poor argumentative writing.

If you want to choose your questions based on what you think other people will do, go ahead, but don't think that a half-arsed answer on Eliot which ignores the question will gain you the same marks as a well thought out, focused answer on Kavanagh or any other poet.

Where did anybody mention ignoring the question? Where did anybody mention only answering it half-arsed? BarbiePink is probarly wondering which one to study GV &V or Literary Genre or Cultural context? You only have to do 2 out of the 3 if you want to.
    You can't use Maths as an example to back up a point about English, that's just poor argumentative writing.

I don't have the figures available to me regarding English, but the fundemental idea still holds true.
    but a huge amount of them will think that merely slapping down their learned-off essay on the page will get them the marks.

At least we agree on one thing, a learned off essay will not get you the marks in English. It may in Irish, but not English.
    Wow, you must be an examiner with that inside knowledgerolleyes.gif

There is no need for the arrogance.

You're implying that students got more marks because they did a less common question and you're extending that to English. Now, I don't mark Maths, but that doesn't make any sense. One topic/poet may be perceived as easier than another and may be covered or attempted by more students, because it's more accessible, reflecting the ability of the student and this is reflected in the grade. e.g. students who are weak at poetry would avoid Eliot like the plague and would attempt a question on Kavanagh, gaining average marks. An excellent student is as likely to get 60/60 in either.
    Where did anybody mention ignoring the question? Where did anybody mention only answering it half-arsed? BarbiePink is probarly wondering which one to study GV &V or Literary Genre or Cultural context? You only have to do 2 out of the 3 if you want to.

At least we agree on one thing, a learned off essay will not get you the marks in English. It may in Irish, but not English.

There is no need for the arrogance.

I was pointing out that doing an less popular option will not guarantee you the marks if you don't answer the question. I'm aware that you only have to do 2/3:rolleyes:

OP, don't make your decision based on which one you think other people won't do. Basing it on the ones you know best and that are likely to come up is a far more sensible option.

Correction: a learned off essay that doesn't address the question will not get the marks.

Apologies if I come across as arrogant, but you hear the same old nonsense year after year from students who think they know the system and how to beat it. It gets tiring after a while.

You're implying that students got more marks because they did a less common question and you're extending that to English. Now, I don't mark Maths, but that doesn't make any sense. One topic/poet may be perceived as easier than another and may be covered or attempted by more students, because it's more accessible, reflecting the ability of the student and this is reflected in the grade. e.g. students who are weak at poetry would avoid Eliot like the plague and would attempt a question on Kavanagh, gaining average marks. An excellent student is as likely to get 60/60 in either.

I see where you are coming from but i don't think you understand me. Forget the maths example. Say if 1000 students did Cultural Context, and 20 did General Vision and Viewpoint, you are competing against 999 others by doing the Cultural Context question, if you do the General Vision and Viewpoint, you are only competing agaisnt 19. You have less competition to "beat" with your answer. Of course, nothing will substitute for hard work, and writing a good answer, but it may bring you up a few points.

*All those numbers are completely made up of course.
    I was pointing out that doing an less popular option will not guarantee you the marks if you don't answer the question. I'm aware that you only have to do 2/3:rolleyes:

Correction: a learned off essay that doesn't address the question will not get the marks.

Oh, I completely agree with all that!

Apologies if I come across as arrogant, but you hear the same old nonsense year after year from students who think they know the system and how to beat it. It gets tiring after a while

Don't worry about it. I'm just repeating what my teacher said, he didn't say pick you questions that way, just beaware that certain questions will have a higher standard of answers, thus it will be more difficult to get marks in those question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

CC?? out of all the comparatives throught the years CC has come up the most and it came up last year, wouldn't you all be banking on GVV and LG?!!

Say if 1000 students did Cultural Context, and 20 did General Vision and Viewpoint, you are competing against 999 others by doing the Cultural Context question, if you do the General Vision and Viewpoint, you are only competing agaisnt 19. You have less competition to "beat" with your answer.

This is the idea that infuriates me! You are NOT competing with the other essays.

If I get 200 scripts, I don't read them all and decide that the best is an A1 and the worst is an E and mark them all by comparison. You mark the essay in front of you according to the marking scheme and your own impression. To say that you're competing implies that there are quotas of different grades. There isn't. Obviously, if I ended up with 100 As, eyebrows would be raised, but that is where the advising examiner comes in. S/he checks a good sample of them to see if I am applying the marking scheme, so there are checks and balances in place to make sure that I, or any other examiner, don't start marking by comparison.

Irish-anabel, you're right, I've told my students to concentrate on GVVP and LG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Yes you are competing. I can't believe you think you aren't. You're marked to a curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Alot of people I know hate LG but I love it! It's so simple! I hope it comes up cus I don't like CC. I can do it just find it boring!!!

SantryRed wrote: »
    Yes you are competing. I can't believe you think you aren't. You're marked to a curve.

Believe what you want. If you read my posts on this forum, you might guess what I do every summer.....:rolleyes:

This is the idea that infuriates me! You are NOT competing with the other essays.

If I get 200 scripts, I don't read them all and decide that the best is an A1 and the worst is an E and mark them all by comparison. You mark the essay in front of you according to the marking scheme and your own impression. .

Yes, you are competing! The marking scheme is first compiled by taking a sample of different scripts, so that the results will reamin roughly the same year in year out. Thus you are competing to be in the small percentage who attain the prestigous A1 grade.

Therefore the results remain roughly the same for each question, if less are doing the question it is easier to compete and get the higher grade. Just look at the 08 accounting exam, nobody was getting the answers right, that is why it took 3 completely new marking schemes to correct it, and results remained roughly the same.
    Believe what you want. If you read my posts on this forum, you might guess what I do every summer.....rolleyes.gif

I'm gathering you just correct the papers, not write the marking schemes, you just do what you are told. The marking scheme will ensure that only a certain amount of students attain each grade.

That is why you are not told to mark each script relative to the other, the marking scheme ensures that, a certain amount attain each grade anyway.

I'm gathering you just correct the papers, not write the marking schemes, you just do what you are told. The marking scheme will ensure that only a certain amount of students attain each grade.

That is why you are not told to mark each script relative to the other, the marking scheme ensures that, a certain amount attain each grade anyway.

So because I don't write the marking scheme, I don't know what I'm talking about?

Do you seriously think that examiners are that stupid? That we are just following instructions and have no concept of how the system works or the bigger picture? Do you not think that after marking 1000s of scripts that someone might have knowledge of the exam system?

If that is the case, it certainly explains why you chose to ignore the points I've made in favour of your own opinion.

So because I don't write the marking scheme, I don't know what I'm talking about?

I honestly don't know. You don't expect somebody to respect your opinion because your a corrector? In my school the two worst teachers both correct the exams, and one even inspects the oral. They are both clueless. That however is a generalisation, my english teacher who is spectacular, his class usually get 3 times the national average, he used to corrrect and all I am doing is echoing his words.
    Do you seriously think that examiners are that stupid? That we are just following instructions and have no concept of how the system works or the bigger picture? Do you not think that after marking 1000s of scripts that someone might have knowledge of the exam system?

Tbh, at this stage Im begining to wonder if the above is true, you have even denied that exams are marked to a curve.

If that is the case, it certainly explains why you chose to ignore the points I've made in favour of your own opinion.

The exact same could be said for you too. You have ignored my points, you have not pointed out any inacurracies with my posts, you just went ahead and said your own opinion. You then expected everybody to agree as you are a corrector.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'm hoping for GVV. Pretty much a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

" he used corrrect "

"just went ahead and said your own opinion"

Don't worry about the curve/quality of correctors......worry about the marks for Mechanics....ie spelling and grammar and correct syntax!

RH149 wrote: »
    " he used corrrect "

"just went ahead and said your own opinion"

Don't worry about the curve/quality of correctors......worry about the marks for Mechanics....ie spelling and grammar and correct syntax!

I am sorry, I was a bit tired writing that. However, it was still understandable,so I don't see the point in getting all worked up over it.

By the way mechanics, only count for 10%, there are other marks going a begging too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

I am sorry, I was a bit tired writing that. However, it was still understandable,so I don't see the point in getting all worked up over it.

By the way mechanics, only count for 10%, there are other marks going a begging too.

Synthax comes under language so that's another 30% haha;)

Advertisement