Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

from fair weather to daily driver

• 26-05-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I think I have to give the cage the heave ho for the summer :( Stupid recession.

I've never run a bike as a daily. What should I expect in terms of living with it. Assuming it's going to be another washout, am I going to need a lot of wet weather gear for example??

I don't have a long commute, btw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Decent gear. You don't want to get caught out in a heavy shower and come into work in sopping wet clothes and gear. Doesn't have to be a rain suit or anything, I have a Spidi H2out top and Duchini legs. I can come into work bone dry from the 20-40km commute(besides the gear) including last Winter. Remember though, waterproof works both ways. I found this out pissing myself while flying through snow last year. Twas warm though.

A place to put your gear and helmet. It can all take up a lot of room. Where it can dry would be a plus.

If your gloves are the type that like to take on water after a period of time a seconds set helps.

Top box for shoes, or leave them in work. Spare coat or top in work if you don't like walking around in padded armor all day.

Budget(if you do have one) for increased costs from chains, oils, servicing, tires, brakes. They tend to go much faster then a car and get replaced more frequently.

Getting into work quicker.

Can't think of anything else really. Besides taking care, rush hour biking is a bit of a minefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Bring a towel with you and just keep it in your bag or topbox. Can come in handy for just about anything. You getting soaked, wiping down the bike, cleaning and dirt or oil off of you or the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What about dealing with traffic with a misted visor?? Is this not treachorous? Is misting avoidable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

It can be dangerous. A misted visor can temporarily blind you. Not good. Most lids will have air flow slits in them that can be opened or closed. I never got them to work well enough so I just left my visor open I little bit if I thought it might fog up. That worked better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

cantdecide wrote: »
    What about dealing with traffic with a misted visor?? Is this not treachorous? Is misting avoidable?

Does your visor have pinlocks on them? If it does, misting should not be an issue.

If it doesn't you can drill it to put them in. There are alternatives though, like sprays and different anti-fog inserts.

Make sure you can lock the bike to something, if not have it somewhere visible to yourself or work.

If you don't have a topbox, try and get a tank bag. This is much safer than having to carry your gear in a rucksack.

You should be OK for the summer, but if you are commuting in the winter you will need extra layers of light clothes to keep the warmth in.

And yes, the commute is usually alot quicker :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

cantdecide wrote: »

Ride with the Visor up till your going fast enough it won't mist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I use the bike everyday for my commute to college...it's very doable and enjoyable as well although my commute is only about 5 miles really.

You probably have all of the gear you actually need - make sure it's waterproof, if not then get some Nikwax and make it so!

Fit a topbox and use that for your shoes or whatever. Maybe get one big enough so you can put your boots and pants in there if there's no space at work.

I regularly carry a laptop, a good few books and folder and shoes in mine...couldn't live without it!

Best of luck, you'll enjoy it!

Advertisement