Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interrailing

Options
  • 26-05-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys

Am looking for bit of advice with Interrailing, so help me out if you can!
    I know there has been quite a few different interrail threads floating around, but I have some specific questions, so feel free to chip in what you know :D

Am heading off @ the start of July for 21 days - doing Eastern Europe - starting in Croatia, finishing in Berlin (hopefully) - I've noted the destinations below - it's ambitious but what the hell!

The PLAN goes something like this:

1. Fly into Dubrovnik, Croatia (spend couple days there)
    2. Bus from Dubrovnik to Mostar, Bosnia
    3. Bus from Mostar, Bosnia to Split, Croatia
    4. Train from Split, Croatia to Zagreb, Croatia (spend approx 6 days in Croatia)
    5. Train from Zagreb, Croatia to Ljubljana, Slovenia
    6. Train from Ljubljana, Slovenia to Graz, Austria
    7. Train from Graz, Austria to Budapest, Hungary
    8. Train from Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovakia (is Bratislava worth it, or would Vienna be better?
    9. Train from Bratislava/Vienna to Krakow, Poland
    10. Train from Krakow, Poland to Prague, Czech Republic
    11. Train from Prague, Czech Rep to Berlin, Germany
    12. Fly home from Berlin.

I have A LOAD OF QUESTIONS!!
    =============================================
    Q.1. Currencies

I'm doing maybe 8 different countries - how do people get by with all the different currencies involved? i.e. euros/Croatian kunas/Polish zlotys/Czech crowns/Hungary forint etc etc

- do people carry x amount of each currency with them or rely on ATM's over there?
    - anyone every had any ATM problems in Eastern Europe?
    - using credit card a better idea for booking hostels?

Q.2. The Interrail ticket!

- I havn't bought one yet - I reckon the 22 days continuous for €309 should be the one to go for - agree??!

Q.3. Hostels/hotels
    - haven't booked any - am arriving in Dubrovnik mid-week in July - I guess I'm looking for tips on booking them
    i.e. Book online beforehand OR just arrive at the city & hunt for one!
    - how much on average should I be paying for a hostel per night? (basic!)

Q.4. Which train to get?!
    How do I know which specific train is okay to take?

i.e. Is the Interrail ticket valid on ANY train? (2nd class of course) - so if I'm looking to go from Krakow to Prague, does it matter which train it is? i.e. late night or early morning??

Q.5. Booking flights home
    Book now or when I'm on the trip?!
    - I'm holding off booking them just now as I'm not fully sure where my final destination will be
    -- Anyone think I should be cutting out a couple of cities - maybe 1/2 just to make it more manageable?

Q.6. Sightseeing

- Any must-see sights?
    - Any festivals/events on in any of these places in July that anyone knows of?

=======================================================

Anyone done any trip remotely like this previously?!! Any and all advice would be appreciated ;)

Cheers

goldenw0nder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Hi guys

Am looking for bit of advice with Interrailing, so help me out if you can!
    I know there has been quite a few different interrail threads floating around, but I have some specific questions, so feel free to chip in what you know :D

Am heading off @ the start of July for 21 days - doing Eastern Europe - starting in Croatia, finishing in Berlin (hopefully) - I've noted the destinations below - it's ambitious but what the hell!

The PLAN goes something like this:

1. Fly into Dubrovnik, Croatia (spend couple days there)
    2. Bus from Dubrovnik to Mostar, Bosnia
    3. Bus from Mostar, Bosnia to Split, Croatia
    4. Train from Split, Croatia to Zagreb, Croatia (spend approx 6 days in Croatia)
    5. Train from Zagreb, Croatia to Ljubljana, Slovenia
    6. Train from Ljubljana, Slovenia to Graz, Austria
    7. Train from Graz, Austria to Budapest, Hungary
    8. Train from Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovakia (is Bratislava worth it, or would Vienna be better?
    9. Train from Bratislava/Vienna to Krakow, Poland
    10. Train from Krakow, Poland to Prague, Czech Republic
    11. Train from Prague, Czech Rep to Berlin, Germany
    12. Fly home from Berlin

While it is more expensive, Vienna is miles ahead of Bratislava.
    The only other comment I would have on your schedule is that it's too fast. Take another week.

Q.1. Currencies

I'm doing maybe 8 different countries - how do people get by with all the different currencies involved? i.e. euros/Croatian kunas/Polish zlotys/Czech crowns/Hungary forint etc etc

- do people carry x amount of each currency with them or rely on ATM's over there?
    - anyone every had any ATM problems in Eastern Europe?
    - using credit card a better idea for booking hostels?
    Rely on ATMs. AIBs standard card Plus card works in about 80% of bank machines. Visa Electron is the most reliable. In any case, carry about 400 EUR of cash if you can, and you can always change that to whatever currency you need.
    Q.2. The Interrail ticket!

- I havn't bought one yet - I reckon the 22 days continuous for €309 should be the one to go for - agree??!
    Don't activate your interrail ticket until Solvenia. Trains in Croatia are too cheap to bother with it.
    Q.4. Which train to get?!
    How do I know which specific train is okay to take?

i.e. Is the Interrail ticket valid on ANY train? (2nd class of course) - so if I'm looking to go from Krakow to Prague, does it matter which train it is? i.e. late night or early morning??
    Interrail is not valid on ICEs in Germany and Austria, and the train between Vienna -- Prague without at 10 EUR supplement. Avoid rush hour trains, 11 o'clock is a good time to set off in the morning.
    Q.5. Booking flights home
    Book now or when I'm on the trip?!
    - I'm holding off booking them just now as I'm not fully sure where my final destination will be
    -- Anyone think I should be cutting out a couple of cities - maybe 1/2 just to make it more manageable?
    Book now. You can always skip straight to your destination on a direct train

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Oh, and one other thing: you have it the wrong way round. Start in Berlin, finish in Dubrovnik.

Advertisement