Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velux Sun Tunnels

• 26-05-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Does anybody here have any experience with Velux Sun Tunnels (or alternative)?

We have quite a large landing (10 m sq) but there is no natural light coming into it at all really, which makes both it and the hall quite dark. It is very open from our landing down to our hall so we think if we could get more light into the landing both would benefit.

Looking at the Velux website these things seem like quite a good idea, we were thinking of installing 2/3 of them. Does anybody know how much they cost (parts and then installation) or whether they are effective at all?

One problem I was thinking about is the fact that our landing is right in the middle of the house, none of it borders an external wall (hence no light into hall) and this would mean that the distance from the roof to the ceiling of the landing would be quite large. It would be getting on towards the centre of the roof really.

I can take photographs if that would help at all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    Put up a few photos and we can have a look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

The attic is largely floored, but it isn't a loft conversion, so it probably could cope with some pipes from the roof through it so long as you could still work around them.

The X's are sort of off the top of head thinking about where one might install them.

img0085wd.jpg

img0089g.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

A few lengths of timber, and a few plasterboards. The dearest part will be the velux window themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Davy wrote: »
    A few lengths of timber, and a few plasterboards. The dearest part will be the velux window themselves.

Spot on I have done a few with plasterboard and they look fine

• Registered Users Posts: 35 geneval2008

Hi,
    For my dark landing I looked at the sun tunnels option too. In the end I went with a velux and basically plasterboarded a "tunnel" through the attic. I dont know if you really need three of them - a good sized velux, strategically positioned, should do the job. They do eat into your attic space. But totally worth it in my opinion. ( And as my bathroom had great light, I also put a glass block section into the wall there, which also allows the light into the landing. Looks great!).

• Advertisement

And as my bathroom had great light, I also put a glass block section into the wall there, which also allows the light into the landing. Looks great!

That is a really good idea. How much roughly are glass blocks? We have a little bit of space by the bathroom door where we could do that? I like glass blocks, they look cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

johnfás wrote: »
    That is a really good idea. How much roughly are glass blocks? We have a little bit of space by the bathroom door where we could do that? I like glass blocks, they look cool.

Their quite pricey but Mac's Salvage down in Islandbridge has a a few pallets of them in different colours for 2.50 a block (190x190mm). They're high-distortion items so good if you want a higher degree of privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

Disclaimer:I have an vested interested in these items.

Give me a call Johnfas if you need any advice on installing glass blocks,judging by the picture above,you could install glass blocks on the wall with the picture on it(assuming there is a room with a window behind the wall),that would allow a nice bit of light from said room into the landing.Plenty of options for privacy using different patterns,maybe a clear flemish or frosted glass block,the less patterned the more light transmission but the lower the privacy though.Sun tunnels are a nice idea but they must be installed correctly,same as anything that involves the roof I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The direction the window the sun tunnel or window faces makes a big difference. If it faces south, it will get a lot of light. I prefer the idea of the sun tunnel myself, because it should bring in more light, and should be easier to maintain (because you won't have to paint the inside of the tunnel).

Velux have a little calculator that takes all this stuff into account.

http://www.velux.co.uk/Private/Products/Sun_Tunnel/calculator/default.aspx

I have seen these installed and it's a tidy job, but the particular installation was underwhelming, probably because it faced the wrong way, or maybe it was undersized. Other people have told me about setups that looked great.

If you want the easy, somewhat cheap solution, you could consider putting more artificial light in the ceiling. Recessed lights would make the hall feel much better than the spots in the corner of the picture. You can now get recessed lights that are fire-safe, i.e., they are a sealed unit and do not have the traditional disadvantages of installing recessed lights on the top floor. These have to use CFL or LED bulbs rather than halogen (to reduce the heat). They also use less energy. If you use these types of bulbs, you need to buy the quality, branded product - the cheap ones are much less likely to do the job.

I put halogen recessed downlighters in a hall a bit like this a few years ago, and whilst they certainly have disadvantages, they make the space a lot more liveable.

The ol' U-value of any type of skylight or tunnel is never going to be all that great, i.e., they will allow a good bit of heat loss, and will cost you something in terms of heating bills on cloudy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 damone

velux window and a shaft is the only man for the job ,ive done plenty of these over stairs on dark landings with shafts anywhere up to 15 to 20 feet long there is simply no substitute for natural light ,properly insulated there would be minimal heat loss ,those sun tunnels are a joke ,they are just a cheaper version of a window and a shaft used where the builders have been too tight to pay for the proper job ,ive done all type s of rooflights for 20 years the tunnels have always received a "is that it " response ,ask anyone with any amount of experience in this field and dont even bother with the down light idea !!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the useful advice guys. But what I've discovered is there is no conclusive agreement between everyone as to the best solution.

Does anybody have much of an idea of the costs involved between the two options (sun tunnel -v- velux and shaft)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Thanks for the useful advice guys. But what I've discovered is there is no conclusive agreement between everyone as to the best solution.

Does anybody have much of an idea of the costs involved between the two options (sun tunnel -v- velux and shaft)?

The best option is the velux window with a shaft. I had a sun tunnel yoke in my house when i moved in. I stuffed it with rockwool as the heat loss was a joke.

Price wise im not to sure about the sun tunnel but you might get a 400mm wide velux that just slots in between your rafters. Its just a case of removing a few tiles, cuting and flashing the outside. This can be done from the attic. About 300 supply and fit if ye no any builders or chippys(thats just for the velux S.A.F). Also A few lenghts of timber, 2 or 3 slabs of plasterboard, A roll of rockwoll and or fiberglass and a bag of bonding and scrim. If ye just tape the joints in the slab work and bond and sand them without plastering the whole thing it wouldnt be to much in cost. Also have to take piping and wiring into account, ye might get lucky but i had to drain and move two massive water tanks in my mams attic before, wasnt a big job but it slowed things up a bit. This means noone here can honestly price it without seeing whats in you attic etc.

To sum up, the velux and shaft would cost more, but you will pay for it in your heating bill very fast if you choose sun tunnel yolk. I wouldnt recommend them to anybody. I cant over stress the heat loss with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Sun tunnell would be cheaper. (Personally, I don't like the plastic dome - tends to discolour over time).

One velux with insulated funnel, as above would be my choice.
    Great amount of light. One should be enought for your landing.

It can be opened in summer for ventilation, manual or electric opening system. Doble glazed unit. 3 manufactures of roof-lights available - google or visit local hardward stores.

Glass blocks, at high level are also a good idea, €2-50 /€3 each at B&Q.

Always get 3 detailed quotes.
    Try local Carpenters / Roofers. Install velux in tiled roof in half day, build stud shaft & slab in half day or 1 day max, skim & paint.

One thing I'd be concerned about with a constructed shaft is how it would look given that our landing is in the middle of the house and it is about 1.8-2.0 meteres from the floor of the attic to the roof in that part of the house.

Advertisement