Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear ended-how long until Insurance pay up?

• 26-05-2010 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi I was rear ended last week. My insurance company wanted to 'deal' with it and send car to their repair company but I was having none of it, did that before and it went as a claim against me even though I was not at fault. Apparently it goes against you if they dont recoup the funds from the other insurance co.
    Anyway. I figured I better get a solicitor just incase it got messy as there were 4 cars involved. I was the front car.
    As far as I know my solicitor wrote to the insurance company of the person causing the crash today, with the estimate I received to repair my car. Do they need to send out an assessor or do they just send my solicitor a cheque and I can just go and get it fixed, not impressed driving it in current condition!!:mad: and I can't afford to pay the damage repair myself.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

millymoo wrote: »
    Hi I was rear ended last week. My insurance company wanted to 'deal' with it and send car to their repair company but I was having none of it, did that before and it went as a claim against me even though I was not at fault. Apparently it goes against you if they dont recoup the funds from the other insurance co.
    Anyway. I figured I better get a solicitor just incase it got messy as there were 4 cars involved. I was the front car.
    As far as I know my solicitor wrote to the insurance company of the person causing the crash today, with the estimate I received to repair my car. Do they need to send out an assessor or do they just send my solicitor a cheque and I can just go and get it fixed, not impressed driving it in current condition!!:mad: and I can't afford to pay the damage repair myself.

Thanks

Not sure how this will go. Very messy! As far as I know the way it works is that the car who the guy at the back crashed into first (i.e. the third car) claims off his insurance (the 4th guy's). The 2nd car claims off the 3rd guys insurance (as it was his car that damaged the back of the 2nd car, rather than the 4th driver that caused this mess overall). I would imagine that the insurance company of the person behind you will send an assessor to look at your car first. Open to corrections.

Also - why did your insurance company offer to deal with it? If you are not at fault, then you will claim off the person at fault (directly behind you is my theory as above). Are both of you with the same insurer or something?

Also also ;) - If the assessor writes off your car, they will send you a cheque but be careful that you get the scrapage you are also entitled to in addition to your payment. Pm me if this happens and I can explain it better. If they deem it (economically) fixable, I guess they may offer to repair it at one of their authorised mechanics or else send you the money to do it yourself.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Moved to Motors.

Advertisement