Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Keane is gone from Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭meolwan

and keano could go to RTE and take over liveline ( what a thought) .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 spudsrule

Is Keane in the running for NOVA?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭esteril

Keane was a seriously smarmy git. A station like Newstalk need professional presenters if they are going to succeed. His association with Eamon Dunphy would certainly not have helped him. There may be an early morning slot for him on some local station in Kerry but he should not be allowed impose his personal prejudices and views on the listening public as he did on Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

esteril wrote: »
    Keane was a seriously smarmy git.

This is abuse rather than critisism and is not acceptable in the radio forum

I have tuned into Newstalk since it came on air and in my view he was not fit to present a serious programme on National radio. Thats my view on this particular presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I have tuned into Newstalk since it came on air and in my view he was not fit to present a serious programme on National radio. Thats my view on this particular presenter.

That's more like it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

Has anyone heard any breaking news on what the munster legend that is Eamon Keane is up to now? Has he surfaced at any other station.

Mattie McGrath on newstalk now, wnder how many times did he appear on Eamon Keanes show, seemed at least once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Has anyone heard any breaking news on what the munster legend that is Eamon Keane is up to now? Has he surfaced at any other station.

Mattie McGrath on newstalk now, wnder how many times did he appear on Eamon Keanes show, seemed at least once a week.
    Once a day... more like!!:D

I think most people would agree that when they turn on their radio for a discussion on current affairs the last thing they want is the host superimposing his personal prejudices on the discussion. Thats what Keane did constantly until he became a serious liability. Tut tutting in the backround when a speaker said something he did not agree with is totally unprofessional. Good riddance. Well done Newstalk

I think most people would agree that when they turn on their radio for a discussion on current affairs the last thing they want is the host superimposing his personal prejudices on the discussion. Thats what Keane did constantly until he became a serious liability. Tut tutting in the backround when a speaker said something he did not agree with is totally unprofessional. Good riddance. Well done Newstalk
    Agreed. But it can be entertaining if done properly for example George Hook make no secret of his Fine Gael leanings but does so in a humourous way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I think most people would agree that when they turn on their radio for a discussion on current affairs the last thing they want is the host superimposing his personal prejudices on the discussion.

Most people probably would agree, but Newstalk's management certainly wouldn't. Claire Bryne in an article in the Herald defending her right to refer to Susan Boyle as "a freak", after the BAI deemed it to be offensive, wrote..."I work on an opinion-led programme - it is my job to express my views". Its station policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

Keane is gone from Newstalk...

"Won't somebody please think of the children???"

Oh he got on my goat, ass-kissing his buddies like Gerald Kean, Paddy Mulligan and Mattie McGrath, and pulling the "come on now minister, ye spent €2 million on new ambulances, why wasn't this money spent on special needs assistants?" on everyone else. Completely illogical stuff, everything being reduced to some absurd argument as if the business of government was to be spending money on the things that he thinks are important and on nothing else.

Damien Kiberd is doing well as his replacement. Jonathan Healy is very good also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I heard Jonathan Healy today, He's very cardboard and sounds like he's doing reportage and not presenting a lunchtime political discussion show. He's not Newstalk's solution nor is Damien Kiberd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I heard Jonathan Healy today, He's very cardboard and sounds like he's doing reportage and not presenting a lunchtime political discussion show. He's not Newstalk's solution nor is Damien Kiberd.

Eamon Keane was the solution to Damien Kieberd in 2006 in Newstalks eyes.

At least they were pragmatic enough to admit their error and deal with it. On George Hook one could say he has particular political leanings but generally he allows people to make their points without interruption and acknowledges it when points are well made. He can be a bit irritating also but as someone stated earlier his humour gets him through.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Have to say I liked Eamo

The solution for this gig is EAMO DUNPHY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Joe Duffy is supposed to be leaving live line. They might give him a lunchtime gig.

Ah, so Claire Byrne is moving to the Liveline slot, with another female presenter. They might mov Joe to the mornings, before Kenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Des wrote: »
    Ah, so Claire Byrne is moving to the Liveline slot, with another female presenter. They might mov Joe to the mornings, before Kenny?

No She's presenting a show on RTE in the afternoon-one of two shows that will replace 'the afternoon show'.I'm sure the whole Ivan not starting @ 9pm has really raised morale in the station.They'll probably be dragging Ger Gilroy back to present the morning show now.
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/anchors-ahoy-2282815.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭robo

sleepyman wrote: »
    No She's presenting a show on RTE in the afternoon-one of two shows that will replace 'the afternoon show'.I'm sure the whole Ivan not starting @ 9pm has really raised morale in the station.They'll probably be dragging Ger Gilroy back to present the morning show now.
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/anchors-ahoy-2282815.html

Is she?? That's the first I have hard about Claire going to RTE. Will she still be doing radio on Newstalk? When are Newstalk announcing schedule and presenter changes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

robo wrote: »
    Is she?? That's the first I have hard about Claire going to RTE. Will she still be doing radio on Newstalk? When are Newstalk announcing schedule and presenter changes?

According to that link I posted she's leaving Newstalk.Probably had enough of early morning starts or just better money/opportunities in RTE.Colette Fitzpatrick is rumoured to be presenting the other show in the afternoon on RTE television so I'm guessing she'll be leaving TV3.

Ohhhh, Hello - Collette Fitzpatrick............Easy on the eye she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭robo

According to that link I posted she's leaving Newstalk.Probably had enough of early morning starts or just better money/opportunities in RTE.Colette Fitzpatrick is rumoured to be presenting the other show in the afternoon on RTE television so I'm guessing she'll be leaving TV3.
    Ooops sorry - missed that! Wow suprised at RTE taking her! She is very opinionated, is that someone that RTE want to have???

Colette Fitzpatrick is rumoured to be presenting the other show in the afternoon on RTE television so I'm guessing she'll be leaving TV3.
    I'd be surprised if she's signing a contract to present at RTE in the Autumn with her due to give birth in November. She'd be on air for, what, five weeks before going on maternity leave??? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The first line on her Newstalk website page has always been - "Currently the co-anchor on Newstalk 106-108 fm". I don't think she was ever planning to do it long term. Can't say I'll miss her. What is happening with the Breakfast show? There is so much disinformation been spread. First it was going to be Hook.... then Byrne with Yates coming in later....and now Byrne is gone.

Claire and Colette would be superb on any Station. Both very professional and a bit of crack as well. Not many good female broadcasters around. Lots of sub-standard ones, chiefly Orla Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 alfaspud

Keane is a hypocrite. Tut-tutting the govt and civil service for waste. Anyone remember him on Brendan O'Connors awful Saturday Night Show boasting about blowing €6000 of RTE's (i.e taxpayers money) on the p1ss in Kerry when he was supposed to be working on some documentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

glad to hear he,s gone he was brutal and his "gags" were cringeworthy and not the slightest bit amusing :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Enjoyed listening to Claire Byrne this morn interviewing that idiot newspaper editor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

neris wrote: »
    Enjoyed listening to Claire Byrne this morn interviewing that idiot newspaper editor.

Most crineworthy piece of radio broadcasting I have ever heard. Ger Colleran destroyed her pathetic questioning."Where would you stand if Larry Murphy was murdered in the morning because of the Star", followed by Byrne snapping that she was entitled to ask whatever question she liked. Yes you are Claire, thankfully listeners are also entitled to switch to whatever radio station they like.

She also proceeded to call the protesters in Coolock last night "vigilantes" because they were... protesting.

All this reminds me of Claire's other killer question to some nun following the publication of the Ryan report - "What would Jesus Christ say if he were walking the earth today?".

I really enjoyed listening to Eamon Keane, but he has now left under mysterious circumstances (he fell out with his producers who thought he was too anti-government). Really sick of Ivan Yates, especially following his tantrum when Richard Bruton was defeated in the FG leadership heave. Yates spoke angrily of previous frontbench spokespeople being "urinated on" because of their rightful punishment to backbenches. He was obviously quite upset given his overt support for his friends in the Bruton camp that week.

It's all downhill for Newstalk. It used to be a good alternative but now find myself listening to RTE for the first time ever. Seems I'm not alone either given Newstalk's ratings are plummeting and sponsors are rightfully very worried.

Advertisement