Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting is so hard!

Options
  • 26-05-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I went to get myself tester for HIV yesterday and im now waiting on results. It is the worst feeling ever. I was real calm the day before but I came out yesterday ****ting myself. What if I did catch something. I'm starting to get real paranoid now and am looking up things about my health every 2 mins. The worst is I'm in the middle of my exams, find it very hard to focus. I keep thinking small problems with my body are sumting to do with HIV when there probably not! I'm so ****ing anxious right now! Anyone know what I can do to blank this feeling from my mind!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

Did you have unprotected anal sex? If not, you're probably fine. The chances are quite low that you'd even have encountered somebody else who has HIV. If you do have it, it's not the end of the world either. It's not the death sentence it was 20 years ago. It just means you have to make a commitment to looking after your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gayguy2009

yes i did have unprotected sex, but it was only once, just last week and my bf had been checked already. but im worried about things i done last year, I didnt have any sex with them just had oral sex. The wierd thing is i wasnt worried about it until i went to the clinic. They started askin me questions then it made me more paranoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Untense

gayguy2009 wrote: »
    I went to get myself tester for HIV yesterday and im now waiting on results. It is the worst feeling ever. I was real calm the day before but I came out yesterday ****ting myself. What if I did catch something.
    What if you didn't catch something? Which is the more likely scenario?
    How long have you been with your partner and how trustworthy is he? If he had a test recently and he hasn't been with anyone else, it's unlikely you are infected.
    In the meantime, your mind is conjuring up what-if scenarios, if you're mistaking these daydreams for reality of course you're going to stress out.

I'm starting to get real paranoid now and am looking up things about my health every 2 mins.
    You have to assume for now you don't have anything. You can't know if you do till tests come back. The only real problem you have now is you're getting stressed over imaginary scenarios and the worst thing you can do for that is look up those websites. After reading through one of those you'd think a headache is an aneurysm.

I keep thinking small problems with my body are sumting to do with HIV when there probably not! I'm so ****ing anxious right now! Anyone know what I can do to blank this feeling from my mind!
    HIV doesn't cause any symptoms for months if not years after infection, so it's not that. Take a chill pill and get on with your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Did you go to the GMHS clinic - they usually offer pre test and post test counselling which probably would have been a good idea to avail of - you could even just go and ask them if you can get that counselling

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

yes i did have unprotected sex, but it was only once, just last week
    Then there is no point in getting tested so soon it takes 3 to 6 months for anything to show up in a test
    Untense wrote: »
    HIV doesn't cause any symptoms for months if not years after infection, so it's not that.
    no true , signs of infection can be seen within 2 weeks , ie rash / flu like symptoms

• Advertisement

im more worried about previous partners, although i did not have sex with them, just oral. I'm worried i might have gotten it off them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

im more worried about previous partners, although i did not have sex with them, just oral. I'm worried i might have gotten it off them!
    unless you had open soars / bleeding gums at the time the chance of you having it is close to nil;)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

yes i did have unprotected sex, but it was only once, just last week and my bf had been checked already. but im worried about things i done last year, I didnt have any sex with them just had oral sex. The wierd thing is i wasnt worried about it until i went to the clinic. They started askin me questions then it made me more paranoid!

don't worry, that's just the way clinics are, i always feel nervous once they start asking questions. the thing with HIV is, you don't generally get it from one single encounter, it usually requires multiple times to actually infect you [unlike the hep]. that doesn't mean it's not extremely important to use a condom in future of course, but i hope it puts your mind at ease a little. you've done the responsible thing now by getting tested, so i really wouldn't worry for now, you are probably fine. and neverrrr google little things that are wrong with you, it will alwaayyys make you paranoid for no reason.
    good luck in the exams, and don't stress too much!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

i did not have sex with them, just oral

It is so incredibly difficult to catch HIV from oral sex that it isn't even worth thinking about. Seriously, you could perform oral sex on 1000 HIV+ men and I would bet my life savings you wouldn't catch it. It really is that difficult.

From what you've told us it sounds very very very very very unlikely you are going to get a positive test result. You are more likely to killed walking down the road. So stop worrying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

lads - diagnoses from you guys are not helpful

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

thanks for comments lads, i have exams done and over with so, feel less stressed today. I just want thursday to come quick :(

Advertisement