Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DON'T LEAVE YOUR WINDOWS OPEN!

• 26-05-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hey,

Just thought I'd warn you....

Yesterday at about 5 o' clock when we were going back to my boyfriend's apartment (Foyle 2- on the ground floor) the girls in the apartment above theirs shouted down that they had just seen some guy climbing through the kitchen window and running off with something that had wires hanging off it. We ran inside and checked to see if the TV, laptops, PS3, DVD player, speakers etc were all there and they were fine. The lads noticed that their new crate of beer was gone.

We checked to see if there was anyone in the apartment and the girl in the room next to the kitchen was there and hadn't even heard anything.

We contacted the RA's who said they would have to wait until today to let Niamh know so she could contact security. We headed over to the pitches and saw the guys that matched the description that the girls gave us drinking a crate of Fosters. We rang security and explained the situation. As we were waiting for them, two of the guys broke away from the group.

Jack (my boyfriend) went to meet security and one of the police and as he did, they were just after catching the two guys that had left the group trying to break into an apartment on the top floor of Liffey. Jack and the other three guys that were with us were told by the guard that while they were waiting for them to finish handcuffing the guys upstairs, to go over to the other two on the pitches and try talk to them and find out if it was definitely them.

When they approached them (myself and Emma stood back a bit so we couldn't hear what was going on but were watching in case things got messy and we had to call someone) one of the guys (a really scrawny fella wearing a pair of filthy tracksuit bottoms) ripped off his jacket and shirt and started threatening the guys. He pushed Fic and Jack and threatened to knife them and said that they had a gun as well, and that they knew where the guys lived. The guys then walked away because they didn't want to risk getting into a knife fight. When they walked back to us they told me that the scrawny guy was listening to my i-Pod with my super expensive headphones that I had bought for my media course!

The guard and security woman then started to walk over to the two guys so slowly that the guy with no shirt had time to put his clothes back on, throw away the empty cans and make his way under the fence leading into Moyglare. They took the name of the guy that was left but said he didn't have my i-Pod, that the guy that ran away had it.

I was told by the guard that the two that were arrested in Liffey were being brought in and getting charged with trespassing and handling stolen goods- but that was it. I was also told that there is absolutely no chance of getting the i-Pod back but I'm still going to have to make a statement and will probably have to go to court. He told me as well that the guys are travellers that are living in Old Greenfield so they're locals. I'm absolutely terrified about going out on Thursday night now since they know where we live, two of them are underage so they won't get charged of anything and will definitely be around that night and the guard also told me that there are only going to be two people in the station that night!

Last night I was talking to friends of mine that said that earlier on in the day that the guys had gone up to them and started making inappropriate sexual comments to one of the girls and making her feel extremely uncomfortable. On of her friends basically told them to back off and he was also threatened with a knife. They then rang security. The guard told me this morning that they arrested one of the guys (who was underage) for being drunk and for trespassing, and he was then released into his mother's custody. It was half an hour after that, that he broke into the apartments!

The guard rang me again today to say that after questioning the lads that were arrested twice, that they found out that it was their younger brother that has the i-Pod and that he has been given 4 hours to return it before they decide to "pursue the matter further." I was then told that there is no way he will return it! I have to go into the station someday next week and make a statement.

This is such a farce! There is absolutely no deterrent for these lads to keep doing what they are doing! I'm afraid that they might have something to do with the attacks that happened earlier in the year. I overheard someone saying that the guys that carried out the attacks had nothing done to them because they were underage- after nearly killing two girls!

The more i think about it, the more I'm thinking of climbing through someone else's window to nick their stuff. Why not sure? It's not like anything's going to be done about it!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Sorry about that.....

Rant over.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

That's horrible, especially with the cases last week too. I know it's not the best of advice, but if people are intimidating you you're better off not getting into arguments or anything with them, because your gut instinct is often right and you don't know what the other person is capable of.

Truly a sh*t turn of events, especially on your last week of the year. Hope you're feeling better about things soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

F****** scum. People like that shouldn't be let live around other people, no matter what age they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Gutted for you, horrible thing to happen to anyone, but especially one who has selflessly served the union over the year.

All I'll say is iPods can be replaced, and PLEASE go out Thursday, try to have some fun! If you don't its another victory for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

What Funky said. Don't give them decide whether you have a good time or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

I'm absolutely terrified about going out on Thursday night now since they know where we live, two of them are underage so they won't get charged of anything and will definitely be around that night and the guard also told me that there are only going to be two people in the station that night!
    Feck them, go out and have fun, and Maynooth is covered by the Leixlip Garda station and there's a lot more then 2 of them :)

Rozabeez wrote: »
    That's horrible, especially with the cases last week too. I know it's not the best of advice, but if people are intimidating you you're better off not getting into arguments or anything with them, because your gut instinct is often right and you don't know what the other person is capable of.

Truly a sh*t turn of events, especially on your last week of the year. Hope you're feeling better about things soon.

What happened last week?? I missed that??
    I completely agree with you- like I had asked the lads not to go talk to them because the travellers were wasted and I was scared of what they might do- I know they might have just been all talk but I didn't want to be that naive! They could have genuinely done something. Although one of my friends could have handled himself in a fight, the others would have been genuinely f*cked if they had a knife pulled on them.

This has actually been one of the worst weeks of the year. I had worked with a newspaper last summer and was told they had a job for me this year too, at €360 a week. I spent all year doing free work and charity work for them and when I went to them last week to see when they wanted me back they told me they couldn't afford to take me on again. I completely appreciate that but if they had told me two months ago I could have gotten another job. Now all of the jobs in Gorey have been filled by TY's since they're all on their summer holidays. I have a loan of €4,500 to pay off over the summer before I can even consider taking out another one to pay for college next year so that was a huge kick in the metaphorical balls.... And then the i-Pod went. I wish I knew what I had done wrong so I could try and reason with Karma...

but especially one who has selflessly served the union over the year.

Funky Penguin, that just put a smile on my face :) Thank you.

I will be out on Thursday but I know I'll spend most of the night worrying about what might happen. It's so stupid, but there's nothing to deter them, especially when they know where we live and what we look like :confused:

Out come the wigs, false moustaches, putty chins and glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

If anything else goes missing the lads you will want to talk to will be sitting on the grass across the road from the newtown inn. they will have a knife and they are stupid enough to use it so call the guards not that they can do much. some of the old greenfield crowd are junkies that just dont care and the younger ones are worse.

5Aces wrote: »
    If anything else goes missing the lads you will want to talk to will be sitting on the grass across the road from the newtown inn. they will have a knife and they are stupid enough to use it so call the guards not that they can do much. some of the old greenfield crowd are junkies that just dont care and the younger ones are worse.

It was so ridiculous, like when the stole the i-Pod and the beer, they just went to the pitches right beside the apartment and sat there drinking it and listening to it! After they had been seen! At the time I couldn't believe how stupid they were since they were obviously going to get caught- but even getting caught didn't make a difference to them! The guards are doing absolutely nothing- because there is nothing they can do. I mean, one of them has told the guy to give back the i-Pod today but he told me himself afterwards that it's not going to happen!

My boyfriend's phone was stolen in the SU a few months back, the guy that did it was caught on camera and was known to the guards- he's also a student in the college. It took weeks before anything was done by security or the guards- first of all because security kept telling him they didn't know how to watch stuff back from the cameras! What's the point in having them?!

Then, he told the guard to tell the guy that if he got his phone back or €400 (it was sent to him by Samsung after they destroyed a phone he had sent in for repair!) that he would drop the charges. The message obviously wasn't passed on because after weeks of no contact, the guard finally rang him and asked if he could come to court to give evidence in two days! Bit late notice! As it turned out, he couldn't because he had a job interview so it's been pushed back to 4 weeks from now.
    We were told yesterday that the cameras in River are basically useless because none of them point to the apartments for fear of violating people's privacy!

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Feck them, go out and have fun, and Maynooth is covered by the Leixlip Garda station and there's a lot more then 2 of them :)

It was the guard himself that said on the Thursday night there's only going to be two of them in the station. When I told him that Maynooth was going to be crazy because it was the last night of the exams, he said that he hadn't known it but that he was going to talk to the superintendent and see if was possible to get anyone else in, but that he didn't think it was!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

That's a joke. Maynooth campus is very open so problems like this are inevitable. There's been a serious kancker presence around campus for the past few weeks. They often pull up in cars at night in the long car park beside campus, the same place an RA was mugged at the start of the year. There's a lot of undesirables in this town so you have to be cautious. I know it's not a city but that should not mean people become complacent about safety/security issues. Hope ya get the ipod back.

K4t wrote: »
    That's a joke. Maynooth campus is very open so problems like this are inevitable. There's been a serious kancker presence around campus for the past few weeks. They often pull up in cars at night in the long car park beside campus, the same place an RA was mugged at the start of the year. There's a lot of undesirables in this town so you have to be cautious. I know it's not a city but that should not mean people become complacent about safety/security issues. Hope ya get the ipod back.

Campus security is not strong enough at all... Even if you look at the amount of cars that were smashed in over the last few weeks and nothing was done about it. Granted, most of the cars were abandoned, but the car park outside Rye was destroyed with glass for at least a week and it was extremely dangerous- especially since it was in the area beside the car park spaces for creche drop offs. Little kids fall so easily and that was an accident waiting to happen- never mind drunk students wandering and falling!
    The guard was saying that the amount of people drinking by the train station and a load of other places around town has reached an all-time high at the moment and he said they're the same undesirables who are doing the rest of the sh*t but there's nothing that can be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Campus security is not strong enough at all... Even if you look at the amount of cars that were smashed in over the last few weeks and nothing was done about it. Granted, most of the cars were abandoned, but the car park outside Rye was destroyed with glass for at least a week and it was extremely dangerous- especially since it was in the area beside the car park spaces for creche drop offs. Little kids fall so easily and that was an accident waiting to happen- never mind drunk students wandering and falling!
    The guard was saying that the amount of people drinking by the train station and a load of other places around town has reached an all-time high at the moment and he said they're the same undesirables who are doing the rest of the sh*t but there's nothing that can be done about it.
    Yep, you're probably right about the level/lack of security. It's not good enough obviously and something will have to be done about it next year. As for the train station, I try not to venture in that direction unless I'm getting a train or with a few friends. Scumbag central.

I love the tags that someone just added.

Fosters

and

wtf???

It sums up the subject matter fantastically!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

That's ridiculous! I've heard of a few people having had stuff robbed in the last few weeks. Seen a few dodgy looking fellas hanging around campus at the weekend, but didn't really think anything of it :/ People might want to watch walking home tomorrow night too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

It was the guard himself that said on the Thursday night there's only going to be two of them in the station. When I told him that Maynooth was going to be crazy because it was the last night of the exams, he said that he hadn't known it but that he was going to talk to the superintendent and see if was possible to get anyone else in, but that he didn't think it was!
    Yea 2 of them from the Maynooth station but Maynooth is covered by the Leixlip district HQ, since they changed the districts around in Kildare after Leixlip got a new Garda station :)
    So there's more then the 2 of them around but they're just based in Leixlip as they have cells :D so no shenanigans you lot :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

That's ridiculous! The guards in Maynooth are so relaxed it's unreal. It's nothing new though, my sister when she was 5 went missing, we called them, they arrived FIVE hours later, with my sister home and all!!

I have noticed a lot of scumbags around the place, particularly because I know a lot from living here. A few lads were in prison for a while but they're back out now. The gap was cut off there yesterday though, because they keep coming into the estate (live in Moyglare) and they will try use it as an escape route, even though it's a tiny gap! There has been a lot of problems with houses in the road leading from the gap as well, so probably more reason to close the gap...sorry banquo and barleybooley!! No more shortcut!!

A majority of the "undesirables" are from Old Greenfield, but they don't all just live there, they live in a number of estates.

Hopefully the guards will know about Thursday night, might be worth letting Leixlip garda station know as well.

Ground floor apartments are going to be easier to rob...hopefully enough people will read this, lurkers and members, and the message will get out to close the windows!! Being warm is much better than having nothing cos it was robbed!

Hope you get your stuff back.

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Yea 2 of them from the Maynooth station but Maynooth is covered by the Leixlip district HQ, since they changed the districts around in Kildare after Leixlip got a new Garda station :)
    So there's more then the 2 of them around but they're just based in Leixlip as they have cells :D so no shenanigans you lot :cool:

Thanks for letting me know, I actually feel a lot safer knowing that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

We had to call the guards last summer. Said they'd send a chap in from Leixlip. He arrived eventually on a pushbike. Win.

kellief wrote: »
    I have noticed a lot of scumbags around the place, particularly because I know a lot from living here. A few lads were in prison for a while but they're back out now. The gap was cut off there yesterday though, because they keep coming into the estate (live in Moyglare) and they will try use it as an escape route, even though it's a tiny gap!

A majority of the "undesirables" are from Old Greenfield, but they don't all just live there, they live in a number of estates.

Ground floor apartments are going to be easier to rob...hopefully enough people will read this, lurkers and members, and the message will get out to close the windows!! Being warm is much better than having nothing cos it was robbed!

The guy with the i-Pod told my friends that he was just out of Mountjoy and when he threatened Conor a while before that, he said the same to him too. It could have been all talk but you never know.

The guy that did a runner actually crawled under the fence, through the gap into Moyglare when he saw the guard approaching. We were over there afterwards in the hope that he might have dropped it or something and I can't believe he actually got through it. The fence comes right down to the ground, but someone dug a small hole under it and he crawled through that. The gap was less than a foot deep- I couldn't even imagine a dog getting through there! And he did it with his shirt off so he must have left half his back on the bottom of the fence!

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't implying that everyone in Old Greenfield is causing trouble, because there are obviously great people living there too as well as not-so-nice people living in other estates, but the guard had just pointed out that these particular "people" were from there as he knew them. I wasn't implying anything like that and I just realised now that it might have sounded like I was!

About the open window as well, it was impossible not to open the windows- it was like a sauna in the kitchen, between the sun coming straight in the window and people cooking. There is no ventilation in the room whatsoever so they had to be opened. Also, even if the windows were closed, I don't think that would have turned them off it. When they were arrested by the guards, it was in the top floor of Liffey as they were trying to kick down one of the doors- so a window wouldn't have stopped them! I am really paranoid about opening my window at all now since they know where I live! Even if I'm in the room! I know it was just an i-Pod but it's just the fact that they went out of their way to do it, and after they threatened a few people with knives I just want to be sure. We're so glad that Emma hadn't heard them in the kitchen because anything could have happened if she had come in to see what was going on!

Granted, it was stupid of a certain person (not even me!) to leave my i-Pod in the room, but with Emma in the next room and the fact that we were gone for less than 10 minutes, it really wasn't expected!

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »
    We had to call the guards last summer. Said they'd send a chap in from Leixlip. He arrived eventually on a pushbike. Win.

I thanked this post, simply because there was no *like* button and the thumbs up was the closest I had! :)

The guy with the i-Pod told my friends that he was just out of Mountjoy and when he threatened Conor a while before that, he said the same to him too. It could have been all talk but you never know.

The guy that did a runner actually crawled under the fence, through the gap into Moyglare when he saw the guard approaching. We were over there afterwards in the hope that he might have dropped it or something and I can't believe he actually got through it. The fence comes right down to the ground, but someone dug a small hole under it and he crawled through that. The gap was less than a foot deep- I couldn't even imagine a dog getting through there! And he did it with his shirt off so he must have left half his back on the bottom of the fence!

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't implying that everyone in Old Greenfield is causing trouble, because there are obviously great people living there too as well as not-so-nice people living in other estates, but the guard had just pointed out that these particular "people" were from there as he knew them. I wasn't implying anything like that and I just realised now that it might have sounded like I was!

About the open window as well, it was impossible not to open the windows- it was like a sauna in the kitchen, between the sun coming straight in the window and people cooking. There is no ventilation in the room whatsoever so they had to be opened. Also, even if the windows were closed, I don't think that would have turned them off it. When they were arrested by the guards, it was in the top floor of Liffey as they were trying to kick down one of the doors- so a window wouldn't have stopped them! I am really paranoid about opening my window at all now since they know where I live! Even if I'm in the room! I know it was just an i-Pod but it's just the fact that they went out of their way to do it, and after they threatened a few people with knives I just want to be sure. We're so glad that Emma hadn't heard them in the kitchen because anything could have happened if she had come in to see what was going on!

Granted, it was stupid of a certain person (not even me!) to leave my i-Pod in the room, but with Emma in the next room and the fact that we were gone for less than 10 minutes, it really wasn't expected!

What time was this at? Because I think I know who you're talking about...

If I'm right, you were all right to leave, because they aren't nice people to be messing with. I went to school with some of them, and know some of them too. It's sad seeing people who had so much potential like that, but such is life.

Oh I know that!!! Sure a certain president lives about thems parts..ha!
    It is a dangerous estate at times, a friend of mine was hopped on when he was walking through it around 10 o'clock about a year ago and stabbed in the leg with a screwdriver, the friend being very placid and wouldn't cause hassle!!!

Yet, it's just a sign to be careful. I understand how fast these things can happen, so just try keep stuff hidden. They are most likely targeting the college because the majority of people have laptops and phones.

If it is who I think it is, you are more than welcome to tell the guards I saw the person running through the estate, as I did think he looked a bit shifty-er than usual when I saw him.

Might be a tad more proof for any sort of case!

What time was this at? Because I think I know who you're talking about...

If I'm right, you were all right to leave, because they aren't nice people to be messing with. I went to school with some of them, and know some of them too. It's sad seeing people who had so much potential like that, but such is life.

Oh I know that!!! Sure a certain president lives about thems parts..ha!
    It is a dangerous estate at times, a friend of mine was hopped on when he was walking through it around 10 o'clock about a year ago and stabbed in the leg with a screwdriver, the friend being very placid and wouldn't cause hassle!!!

Yet, it's just a sign to be careful. I understand how fast these things can happen, so just try keep stuff hidden. They are most likely targeting the college because the majority of people have laptops and phones.

If it is who I think it is, you are more than welcome to tell the guards I saw the person running through the estate, as I did think he looked a bit shifty-er than usual when I saw him.

Might be a tad more proof for any sort of case!

I THINK it was about 6pm?? He was a really, really scrawny guy wearing dirty grey tracksuit bottoms. I don't know if he had a shirt on at the time or not... and he was carrying a lime green i-Pod nano and a great pair of huge headphones!!

I'm so sickened cos I'm really careful about where I keep stuff like that and always keep them in a drawer or out of sight... That's what happens when other people use your stuff! Not their fault though, didn't expect it to happen.

I'm expecting the guard to ring me back tomorrow or during the week because he wants me to go in and make a statement next week (I love the way this is all done so quickly and efficiently- not) so I might say it to him. Cheers!

Unfortunately, this was around half eleven 12, but I do know who you mean, does he slouch over when he walks?
    I know, it's such a pity when stuff like that happens, you feel physically hurt. I know it was a bike, and I left it out, but someone ripped a baby tree sapling to get it, and that hurt...so I get it!
    Plus my mam was mugged when she was pregnant....who the hell robs a heavily pregnant woman!!!!!!!!!!! I was snapping when I heard about it. They tried to get her into their car as well but our neighbour saw what was happening and came to preggy mammy's rescue....I know I lived in Dublin at the time...but that's pure scum. No matter where you are.

The desks in apartments have keys don't they? I'd lock expensive bits in there from now on. Bastards.
    Or make fake ones for them to see...**** for them...giggles for you!

Oh english study procrastination.

PS: I know I didn't see him etc, but I could still speak to the guards, as I have seen them all up to no good around the estate at different times, so let me know.x

Unfortunately, this was around half eleven 12, but I do know who you mean, does he slouch over when he walks?
    I know, it's such a pity when stuff like that happens, you feel physically hurt. I know it was a bike, and I left it out, but someone ripped a baby tree sapling to get it, and that hurt...so I get it!
    Plus my mam was mugged when she was pregnant....who the hell robs a heavily pregnant woman!!!!!!!!!!! I was snapping when I heard about it. They tried to get her into their car as well but our neighbour saw what was happening and came to preggy mammy's rescue....I know I lived in Dublin at the time...but that's pure scum. No matter where you are.

The desks in apartments have keys don't they? I'd lock expensive bits in there from now on. Bastards.
    Or make fake ones for them to see...**** for them...giggles for you!

Oh english study procrastination.

PS: I know I didn't see him etc, but I could still speak to the guards, as I have seen them all up to no good around the estate at different times, so let me know.x

I didn't see him walking at all- just running! It was probably him though cos he was in and out of campus all day. What kind of a sick ba*d (ba-star-d) mugs a pregnant woman?? None of the desks have locks on them- well they do, but no keys!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I wouldn't worry, they'll be well aware of it, they always are about things like this. There'll be plenty of guards. Sure even on a 'normal' Thursday you see a Regional Support Unit car making a few passes. Introduce your traveller friends to them ;)

That's what I thought!! She was like 8 months pregnant with me too...sad face!!!
    She was grand though thank god, but it was quite scary as you would well imagine.

Oh right! Didn't know that!

Advertisement