Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers now calling to the front door

Options
  • 26-05-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately this happened to me less than an hour ago, minding my own business when a chugger knocked on the front door.

Used the exact same tactics as the ones on the street. The girl annoyed me instantly with the forceful and the emotional blackmailing language. They were collecting for orphanages in Haiti - using the example of 33 girls after been abducted into the sex industry. Obviously this is horrific - and help should be given.

But it is the tactics of the chugger are disgraceful. She bullied for ten euro a month to be given for six or so months - direct debit from a bank account. I said I couldn't do this as I can't guarantee that there would be money in the account. If it wasn't there I would be penalised with bank charges.

I thought the next suggestion of hers was particularly cheeky - could you set it up for the 4th of the month - children's allowance - so passed the comment back that it changes every month - not necessarily through by the 4th, hence more charges for me. She tried to convince me by putting in €2.22 a week...

I am already on a negative budget at the moment... I really don't think she was physically able to hear that fact.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You should have asked her for her bank details and said you would lodge a tenner a month there for her to pass on.

Bet she would see a problem with the concept of handing out bank details to a stranger on a doorstep then.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

I find "**** off" and a door slammed in their face to be particularly effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

If you want to get them to piss off but don't want to be nasty about it, just wait till the second they say what they are collecting for and say "ohh yeah, I'm already signed up", they have no come back for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

The magic words that disarms them instantly is:

'Ah yeah, I am already signed up to that'

Renders 'em silent.

Buh byeee!

Edit ^^ye beat me to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Put in a smart suit and tie with a gold name badge on saying "Brother ... " then answer the door with a Bible in hand, welcome them to your lovely mormon homstead and spend the next hour attempting to convert them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Why not just use the time honoured Dublin expression:

'Ger owa dat gerden ye sap.'

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Don't engage these people in conversation. Just tell them you're not interested and shut the door. I nearly walloped one guy who wanted me to dig out my electricity bill so he could tell me how much of a better deal he'd give me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Between them and the door-to-door sales people, I just don't answer the door most of the time. If it's a genuine caller they'll ring twice, and thankfully the chuggers don't do that (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

You just have to be rude and abrupt back to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I answer the door and tell them not interested and not to call again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

funk-you wrote: »
    Why not just use the time honoured Dublin expression:

'Ger owa dat gerden ye sap.'

-Funk

They'd cop on to that after the 3rd or 4th person calls themselves Funk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Put in a smart suit and tie with a gold name badge on saying "Brother ... " then answer the door with a Bible in hand, welcome them to your lovely mormon homstead and spend the next hour attempting to convert them.
    I done that once, unfortunately it was a fecking Mormon knocking at the door. Awkward to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Just tell them you already donate to X charity - there is nothing that can be said to that..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just ask for their bank details, when they say they don't want to give them to someone they don't know, say you don't either and shut the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Unfortunately this happened to me less than an hour ago, minding my own business when a chugger knocked on the front door.

But it is the tactics of the chugger are disgraceful. She bullied for ten euro a month to be given for six or so months - direct debit from a bank account. I said I couldn't do this as I can't guarantee that there would be money in the account. If it wasn't there I would be penalised with bank charges..

Nothing new in that. I used to be in Limerick and it was a fairly frequent occurence, especially around dinner time. They'd ask 'have you time to talk?' .... householder 'Actually I'm in the middle of making/eating my dinner'....chugger 'dinner, awwh aren't you so fortunate' guilt trip heaven

Back when I was young and naive I got stung by the same set up as you mention above, €10 a month for six months. Funnily enough when the six months ended, the debit kept occuring, contacted charity, took about a further 6 months to stop it completely and they refused to refund those. Basically there was fine print on the form that within 10 days after signing if you didn't confirm that you only wanted the first 6 months they had the right to extend your subscription indefinitely etc etc. B*stards. I would give to charity no problem, but not when they try to rob you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i stop if the girl is really fit agree to everything she says then say i dont have any money in my bank account would you like a coffee :D ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just answer the door with a carving knife and stand with a transfixed look on your face and slowly stare them up and down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I always just tell them that I'm not eighteen yet so I can't sign up for it.

I still get ID'd a lot when I'm buying drink, so I reckon it's believable! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I always just tell them that I'm not eighteen yet so I can't sign up for it.

I still get ID'd a lot when I'm buying drink, so I reckon it's believable! :D

that never stopped them when i was under 18 i was asked to convince my parents, told sure i can lie about my age ect.

i especially hate the ones who try to hug or put their arm around you. who the hell do they think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I use the same tactics with Indian call centres phoning me about my MBNA card...when they ask for my details...I say No...not until they give me their details and I can verify their idenity...they usually hang up saying they have got me at a bad time.

• Advertisement

I'm completely immune to the guilt trip.. I'll either walk straight by, or listen for a while and say 'sorry, i'm a ****' before walking on.

I cant understand why you have maybe 3-4 chuggers within 30 yards of each other...is it so you might change your mind between chuggers!!

About 9 yrs ago, I signed up to work as a chugger for a day (for Concern)...as in walking around to houses asking for bank details etc as part of training. I was meant to start proper on the Monday. It is all commission...it was £5 per person who signed up...if nobody signed up...no pay. I saw sense over the weekend and never showed up.

It is a dark secret of mine..:o

i stop if the girl is really fit agree to everything she says then say i dont have any money in my bank account would you like a coffee :D ?

I do this, get rejected with a polite lie, and then hit them with the punchline; "see, this is what everybody else does to you."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They generally get the message when you open the door stark bollock naked, with your lad in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I cant understand why you have maybe 3-4 chuggers within 30 yards of each other...is it so you might change your mind between chuggers!!

I was walking down the street and one of them was trying to get me to sign up. I said no thanks. Ten yards away another one who saw mw saying no tried to sign me up :confused:

Said it to him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I just tell them I don't buy anything at the doorstep as a rule. If they want to leave me details I'll ring them back at the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They generally get the message when you open the door stark bollock naked, with your lad in your hand.

They might even give you some money seeing as they're collecting for people with little posessions?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Just answer the door saying in you best Speedy Gonzales accent "Me no speaka d english, senor"

and everytime she talks, respond with say "que?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

so a chick calls to your door on a wednesday afternoon...and you didnt "suprise" her.....

FAIL....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement