Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers now calling to the front door

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

This is unbelievable. Ive never had them at my door. Strangers knocking on your door unless its an emergency should be illegal, as should people ringing your phone. They are trespassing on private property FFS!

My chugger tactic is usually wearing sunglasses and earphones, which doubles up as a homeless and Roma Gypsy repellent. They usually avoid me but when im a clear space and they corner me i look at the ground and give a Paolo Di Canio style finger wag! A tactic that i may try out is when they ask you for a second of your time just say "Sorry Ive got cancer!" This will stun them for enough seconds to get away. It could also work for chuggers at your door but a shotgun could be more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They're doing in Cork too ... Trocaire have 4 kids driving around in a hire car, I spotted them close to my house having a nice large lunch from the local deli, before they called to my house later in the day. Really pushy guy at the door, wanted nothing less than a direct debit. Told him I've already a direct debit for UNICEF, and wouldn't be doing another one, and I'd gladly give a donation if that helped. He told me that a donation would be no good, and only a DD would do him. Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

The joys of living in rural areas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I cant understand why you have maybe 3-4 chuggers within 30 yards of each other...is it so you might change your mind between chuggers!!

you'll notice they put their genders down the street, they generally look for attractive individuals according to someone i was speaking too might be BS though...

the idea being is you might sign if you get stopped by someone you fancy.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I answer the door in a ladies silk dressing gown with this blaring in the background.....

Works everytime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Don't answer the front door unless you're expecting someone. These days anyone that you actually want to see when you open the front door will at least have rang you before they come over.

Otherwise it'll be either a chugger, the tv licence guy, some git from a political party if there's an election on, or some poxy kids looking to get sponsored for something or another. None of these are desirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I had one come to the door yesterday. He said "I'm not here trying to sell you anything", then proceeded to try and sell me something.

Wish I coulda done this: http://witneyman.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/gran_torino.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The best thing to do is to ask them an awkward question. For example these concern lads were collecting money to fund a school building project to, in his words, "take children out of child labor situations and educate them so they can get better jobs". To this I said "Ah so you will pay the kids to go to school? I mean their parents wouldn't send them to work if they didn't need the money surely? So if they leave the work their families will suffer more? So in that case parents wont sign kids up for your new schools as they cant afford to lose their child's income?"
    He (after a silence) said "Studies have shown.... blah blah blah." Then he said he would get me again and walked off :)

And just to clear something up, every single one of these people have told me that they are NOT paid commission. Is this true?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I have never ever ever experienced any of this. I would love to have these dikcheads call round to my place, oh the fun I'd have!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

stovelid wrote: »
    They might even give you some money seeing as they're collecting for people with little posessions?

:pac:

Not since since I replied to an email in my spambox, telling me that I could have a penis that would be longer than the Great Wall of China if I bought some special tablets.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    And just to clear something up, every single one of these people have told me that they are NOT paid commission. Is this true?

I'd be shocked if that was the case. In my experience, people collecting cash tend to be volunteers, people collecting direct debits are paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

eoin wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if that was the case. In my experience, people collecting cash tend to be volunteers, people collecting direct debits are paid.
    Yeah thats what I was thinking, didn't want to challenge any of them on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Concern on the street are not paid commission. I can guarantee that from insider knowledge. However the agency that Trocaire use to do door to door are called Total fundraising and I believe they charge Trocaire for each DD that's set up. Not sure how much but it's not cheap. Concern are not doing door to door at the moment but they use their own employees for that kind of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

or some poxy kids looking to get sponsored for something or another.

I may have been scammed by a little kid! She called around looking for sponcership for her school walk. I got a couple of Euro but noticed the paper she was talking names with was a little dodge and didn't have a school name on it. I asked her how far she was walking and she said she didn;t know....alarm bells started to go off but as she was only around 8 or 9 I didn't pay any heed to it. Nieve me still thinking kids are innocent!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

yeahimhere wrote: »
    I may have been scammed by a little kid! She called around looking for sponcership for her school walk..

That's a common scam used tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    using the example of 33 girls after been abducted into the sex industry. Obviously this is horrific - and help should be given.t.

You are on here complaining yet from this it "seems" you just have accepted what she told you at the door? Why is it necessarily true just because some beggar told you so at your front door whilst trying to obtain your bank details?

Jeez, if that was the case, I might try this ****ing scam myself; but you know, I think I will aim higher than 33. I will make it a cool 100, that should pull at the heart strings a bit more.

There is close to ten million people in Haiti, can't they not help these 33 people? Are they
    really waiting on some chugger' in Ireland to scam an Irish person
    into helping?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

"I don't have an Irish bank account" generally seems to work for me. In other countries "I only have an Irish bank account" works a charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

'No thanks not interested' also works. I don't have a link but I am sure I read in the independent that these people are on 50% commission. You sign up for DD for 1yr and the first 6 months of Direct debits goes to the person who signed you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭thebiglad

prinz wrote: »
    That's a common scam used tbh.

Surely everyone's done that one - or the copy of the legit sponsorship form one:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

OP, if none of the other suggestions work, my I suggest you answer the door with your growler hanging out, nothing puts people off their spiel like a pair of beef curtains flapping about like a pancake in the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morlar wrote: »
    'No thanks not interested' also works. I don't have a link but I am sure I read in the independent that these people are on 50% commission. You sign up for DD for 1yr and the first 6 months of Direct debits goes to the person who signed you up.

So, you mean to tell me that they are not doing this because they actually care for people they have never even met?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

thebiglad wrote: »
    Surely everyone's done that one - or the copy of the legit sponsorship form one:p

I'm not a thieving scumbag, so no, not everyone has done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

OP, if none of the other suggestions work, my I suggest you answer the door with your growler hanging out, nothing puts people off their spiel like a pair of beef curtains flapping about like a pancake in the wind.
    I just spat tea over my keyboard. It isn't mine!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I'm a big fan of the commando roll off the couch, followed by a quick crawl around the back of the sofa and i generally hide there until I hear the neighbors tell them to PFO. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I don't get this. Why cant you say no and close the door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I don't get this. Why cant you say no and close the door?

Some people deep down have low self esteem and think they deserve to be manipulated into giving their money away to total strangers. That's my theory anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

There's a legal obligation on these collectors to not harass people under the age of 18.

I've just told them I'm under 18 in the past and they have to leave you alone.

No way in hell do I look uner 18, closer to 30 really but they're legally forced into not pursuing the 'chugging' with a minor.

The laws an ass at times, just gotta make sure you're the one with the better cheek.

hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Got scammed into going for a training course for these direct debit chuggers. Its a cross between a pyramid scheme and chugging. You go door to door, you get one side of street, collegue gets the other side. Sell your pitch and if you get the direct debit, i believe commision was 20 odd euro. If you got no DD' no pay.
    The line was, that " oh you would normally get 8 of them a day". Lies!
    I only went along as it adverstised it as a marketing position, no experience necessary. After a 5 minute interview, I am told to come back the next day for 8hr training/interview. Odd, but i go along.
    Back to the office the next day, 4 of us new people tag along with 4 regulars in 2 different cars, to tramore i think it was, miles away from my own car.
    Waste of a day! All of us wanted to escape, but we had been driven there, so no escape!

The pyramid scheme part i was mentioning was that for every person you recruited, went to you advancing a level up the company. Once you reached a certain level of people under you, you were encouraged to setup your own "marketing company" in another town.
    Cowboys!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Nidot wrote: »
    There's a legal obligation on these collectors to not harass people under the age of 18.

Believe that is because if you are under 18, you are not allowed to legally sign a contract, as it would not be binding. Same reason you cant get a mortgage at 17!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

give them bogey details

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement