Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers now calling to the front door

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Cool_CM wrote: »
    "I don't have an Irish bank account" generally seems to work for me.

Yes Bertie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

My kitchen is in the front of the house and i had just came in from the shed in the back after hitting the heavy bag for a while. So stripped down in the kitchen and threw the clothes into the washing machine before heading up to the shower when i heard a knock on the door. Didn't answer for obvious reasons but then i seen someone peeking in the window. It was your one who was collecting for whatever. Would be funny if it was the sexual abuse one with me standing there in the nip and her getting her pervert on. Cheeky bitch had to walk out of the garden and back around the other side of the car to get to the window. Determined little feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

I saw a gang of them working their way up my road one day as I arrived home....think it was airtricity. Went into my house and 5 mins later my doorbell goes. I decided to ignore it and it rings again.....pause for 30 seconds and it rings again.....pause for 40 seconds and it rings again.

In all this plonker rang 6 times! He must have seen me go into my house and knew I was home but I am sick of even answering the door to anyone unless they have been invited to my home.

I even have the kids trained not to answer the door to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

My preferred method of choice would be a roundhouse kick to the face

chuckie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Just don't answer the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

Tell them to put it in a letter and post it to you....
    you don't conduct business on the doorstep!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,695 ✭✭✭✭walshb

tskk wrote: »
    I saw a gang of them working their way up my road one day as I arrived home....think it was airtricity. Went into my house and 5 mins later my doorbell goes. I decided to ignore it and it rings again.....pause for 30 seconds and it rings again.....pause for 40 seconds and it rings again.

In all this plonker rang 6 times! He must have seen me go into my house and knew I was home but I am sick of even answering the door to anyone unless they have been invited to my home.

I even have the kids trained not to answer the door to anyone.

Absolutely. In the 21st century with the mobile phone there is no excuse whatsoever for anyone to be calling unannounced, unless they are simply strangers or pests or chuggers. So, door rings and you aren't expecting someone, just leave it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

you'll notice they put their genders down the street, they generally look for attractive individuals according to someone i was speaking too might be BS though...

the idea being is you might sign if you get stopped by someone you fancy.:rolleyes:
    That can't be the case, I was offered a job as a chugger shortly after Christmas (I was out of work for seven months and was prepared to sell my soul at that stage) but I turned it down as I got a job elsewhere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Casey_81 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the commando roll off the couch, followed by a quick crawl around the back of the sofa and i generally hide there until I hear the neighbors tell them to PFO. :)

Nice. I was thought that move back in the 70s when I was about 4 when some television guys would call (not sure if it was TV licence, cable or RTV rentals). Used it recently on an Eirtricity guy, fcuk all the cnut could do about it - result :D

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

next time they knock ask them can you see ther id , then get the number ring and complain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

mikom wrote: »
    I answer the door in a ladies silk dressing gown with this blaring in the background.....

Works everytime.

Blast from the past Clarice !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I answer the door in a ladies silk dressing gown with this blaring in the background.....

Works everytime.
    This post deserves more thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Works everytime.

Good tune for the job, I personally prefer this one though... only works well if you're wearing the eye liner as well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

There's always old bags of gone off flour, porridge oats and eggs hanging around the gaff...

I say waste not, want not !!

After all, the upstairs window is right above the front door and there's no better sport than greeting an over enthusuastic Celtic-tiger cub in an Abercrombie hoodie (who grew up expecting to be a yoof TV presenter) with some funtastic food bombs!!

They love it!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The Scumbag

There's always old bags of gone off flour, porridge oats and eggs hanging around the gaff...

After all, the upstairs window is right above the front door and there's no better sport than greeting an over enthusuastic Celtic-tiger cub in an Abercrombie hoodie (who grew up expecting to be a yoof TV presenter) with some funtastic food bombs!!

I'd smash your house up if you did that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I'd smash your house up if you did that to me.

You would bounce off my forcefield. Then I would fire lasers at you and they would go "pew pew" and then you would run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

I love these guys.

I had one guy call to the door and trying to sign me up for some ****e or other and I fobbed him off telling him that I had my overtime cut and GF was laid off work for the last few months. He in fairness sympathised with me and then proceeded to ask me if my girlfriend wanted a job. I politely took his number and then thanked him for the kind offer.

When my GF got home from work I handed her the number and told her that if she starts working as a chugger then I am dumping her effective immediately.

Also no one has poised the age old question. What happens when an immovable object meets and unstoppable force. What happens when you try to convert a chugger to the church of Scientology????????

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

I sold and collected at doors for years and none of the above will put off a good sales person.

[1] People who don't answer the door and I knew they were in. put sticky tape on door bell and run like fcuk, you'll still have to answer the door.

[2] Cold winters night, ring door bell big guy comes out, I never buy anything at the door, I accept his excuse and walk away. He calls out, close that gate behind you he bellows. I reply,"you don't buy anything at the door, I don't close gates?

[3]Sales mans pet hate at a door, 15/16 year old answering the door,a complete put off as they can be cocky little fecker's, I say, Oh hi there whats your name, John why? there was a guy just looking for you, he's just gone around the corner, he heads off looking for invisible friend while I talk to his mother, good move...

the only way to get rid of a good sales man is, you do the talking, If you give a sales person 30 seconds to talk without being interrupted he'll probably reel you in. They work hard and they make good money and slobs and bullies at doors don't put them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

I sold and collected at doors for years and none of the above will put off a good sales person.

[1] People who don't answer the door and I knew they were in. put sticky tape on door bell and run like fcuk, you'll still have to answer the door.

[2] Cold winters night, ring door bell big guy comes out, I never buy anything at the door, I accept his excuse and walk away. He calls out, close that gate behind you he bellows. I reply,"you don't buy anything at the door, I don't close gates?

[3]Sales mans pet hate at a door, 15/16 year old answering the door,a complete put off as their cocky little fecker's, I say, Oh hi there whats your name, John why? there was a guy just looking for you, he's just gone around the corner, he heads off looking for invisible friend while I talk to his mother, good move...

the only way to get rid of a good sales man is, you do the talking, If you give a sales person 30 seconds to talk without being interrupted he'll probably reel you in. They work hard and they make good money and slobs and bullies at doors don't put them off.
    I think the vast majority of people are immune to salespeople. They are just looking for that 1 in 10 or 1 in 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Spot on analysis. Just give them a David McWilliams style nick name and you are good to go.

• Advertisement

[3]Sales mans pet hate at a door, 15/16 year old answering the door,a complete put off as they can be cocky little fecker's, I say, Oh hi there whats your name, John why? there was a guy just looking for you, he's just gone around the corner, he heads off looking for invisible friend while I talk to his mother, good move...

I call BS on that.

most People know never to trust a sales person and there is no way in hell that they will reel you in within 30 seconds. Also the top two things you said are not good sales men techniques but rather how to be an annoying sh!t to people.

The Fact is that a good salesperson will not find himself calling to private residences. Even Cold calling is a better option as was mentioned above you are looking for the 1/100 depending on the product who will be willing to buy so trawling you ass around is not a viable option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

i stop if the girl is really fit agree to everything she says then say i dont have any money in my bank account would you like a coffee :D ?

Sounds like a good idea:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Door to Door sales might work well in Australia but not so much Ireland... Fairly embarrasing job doh if 1 has any pride in themselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Jesus, people shouldn't have to put up with that kind of shìte. You'd think there was something wrong with not wanting that kind of bullshìt on your own doorstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

daithimac wrote: »
    I call BS on that.

most People know never to trust a sales person and there is no way in hell that they will reel you in within 30 seconds. Also the top two things you said are not good sales men techniques but rather how to be an annoying sh!t to people.

The Fact is that a good salesperson will not find himself calling to private residences. Even Cold calling is a better option as was mentioned above you are looking for the 1/100 depending on the product who will be willing to buy so trawling you ass around is not a viable option.

I'm sure you'll disagree with some tactics of a sales person, but you are not a sales person. Every door is a challenge and if s/he does not sell at your door there's always another one.

All I'm trying to point out is their tactics against your wit or humor, when a sales person calls to your door s/he is on a high, you are coming down from your days work and you are feeling tired and thats what they cash in on..

Next time a good one calls, just study him/her and see their technique... you'll be amazed with their talents... anyway don't get to annoyed it's their job...
    Your better off to congratulate them for their effort and give him the confidence to carry on. Who knows you might have to do it yourself some day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

They work hard and they make good money and slobs and bullies at doors don't put them off.

The f*cking sales people ARE the bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Stand, motionless gazing blankly over their heads and then say. Mary is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭livindadream

afaik its against the law for a registered charity to collect cash door to door... These well dodgy guys around my area (dun laoighre) with a clip board where standing outside tesco's and going to neighbourhoods lookin for sponsership for there "fight against drugs"...A 10k cycle or something, been well over two years and they're still collecting!

I'm sure you'll disagree with some tactics of a sales person, but you are not a sales person. Every door is a challenge and if s/he does not sell at your door there's always another one.

All I'm trying to point out is their tactics against your wit or humor, when a sales person calls to your door s/he is on a high, you are coming down from your days work and you are feeling tired and thats what they cash in on..

Next time a good one calls, just study him/her and see their technique... you'll be amazed with their talents... anyway don't get to annoyed it's their job...
    Your better off to congratulate them for their effort and give him the confidence to carry on. Who knows you might have to do it yourself some day?

First your operating on the assumption that I have never worked in sales. Second your operating under the assumption that I have not studied Sales at third level
    Third your operating under the assumption that anything you posted refers in any way to good sales technique and is anything other than counter productive.

Also you fail to notice one of the first rules of sales in the above post. You forget that no one gives a sh!t about you. they do not care if you are on a high or you think that you are a sales master. they care about themselves and there own comfort and if they are tired and don't want to talk to you then allow that because trying some hard sell bs or playing childish pranks just kills any future opportunity that you ever would have had for a sale. Here's another pro-tip. If you are dumb enough to be going around door to door rather than to retail outlets where people actually want to buy then instead of taping the doorbell and making a git of yourself, try putting a card in the letter box. you never know people might actually be interested in what you have to offer and call of there own accord without your sales mastery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Fucking chuggers. Never seen chuggers in such abundance in other countries. Should be illegal, like cold-calling in the UK. They use their feminine wiles to try to squeeze a couple of € out of me. I'm all for teasing, but assuming I'll pay out just because you flirt is just insulting. Vampires.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement