Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers now calling to the front door

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I'd smash your house up if you did that to me.

Apt name.
    BenShermin wrote: »
    I done that once, unfortunately it was a fecking Mormon knocking at the door. Awkward to say the least.

That is why everyone should own a copy of the Satanic Bible..If you meet a Satanist....you need not worry about them trying to sell you something.You have bigger concerns.
    Hazys wrote: »
    Just answer the door saying in you best Speedy Gonzales accent "Me no speaka d english, senor"

and everytime she talks, respond with say "que?"

What if it's a tv license inspector?..from what I've heard...they've heard all the excuses......

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

Confab wrote: »
    Fucking chuggers. Never seen chuggers in such abundance in other countries. Should be illegal, like cold-calling in the UK. They use their feminine wiles to try to squeeze a couple of € out of me. I'm all for teasing, but assuming I'll pay out just because you flirt is just insulting. Vampires.

Confab I think you might be confusing Chuggers and prostitutes again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

daithimac wrote: »
    Confab I think you might be confusing Chuggers and prostitutes again :D

Damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

I went by on "I'm not old enough to do it" for a few years.

Worked until I started seeing them out and about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

I sold and collected at doors for years and none of the above will put off a good sales person.

Put down that coffee. Coffees for closers.

A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing. Always be closing.
    Do I have your Attention. Are you Interested. Making the Decision. Close the Sale gentlemen. You need brass balls in this business you fhcking loosers.

That watch costs more than you car. I made $970,000 last year. How much you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a sh1t. Good father? Fwck you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here - close! You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you co<ksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit? You don't like it, leave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

Feck this, Im investing in murder holes for my new house. Nothing says GTFO like boiling oil :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

I only looked at this thread cause I wanted to know what a chugger means :o. ( i feel like your man in the 'I don't know what a tracker morgage is' ad) I'm highly enlightened. Got a good laugh from the replies too.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

OP that is so rude you should have slammed the door shut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

knird evol wrote: »

I keep hearing this, what exactly does "closing" mean?

That watch costs more than you car. I made $970,000 last year. How much you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a sh1t. Good father? Fwck you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here - close! You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you co<ksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit? You don't like it, leave

Que headbutt ***SMACK***

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Unfortunately this happened to me less than an hour ago, minding my own business when a chugger knocked on the front door.

how is this legal? how is callin to peoples homes and asking for money any different to begging?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I sold and collected at doors for years and none of the above will put off a good sales person.

[1] People who don't answer the door and I knew they were in. put sticky tape on door bell and run like fcuk, you'll still have to answer the door.

Even a granny with her walking frame?
    Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just tell them you're already signed up.

Or, "you're trespassing now get off my land before i get the dogs".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'd smash your house up if you did that to me.

Tada, criminal record for life. Very intelligent way to deal with the situation!
    I reply,"you don't buy anything at the door, I don't close gates?

Pathetically childish. Normal people shouldn't have to be on the receiving end of this kind of sh1te in their own homes just because you couldn't do any better with your life than ending up as a frustrated door-to-door salesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

daithimac wrote: »
    First your operating on the assumption that I have never worked in sales. Second your operating under the assumption that I have not studied Sales at third level
    Third your operating under the assumption that anything you posted refers in any way to good sales technique and is anything other than counter productive.

Also you fail to notice one of the first rules of sales in the above post. You forget that no one gives a sh!t about you. they do not care if you are on a high or you think that you are a sales master. they care about themselves and there own comfort and if they are tired and don't want to talk to you then allow that because trying some hard sell bs or playing childish pranks just kills any future opportunity that you ever would have had for a sale. Here's another pro-tip. If you are dumb enough to be going around door to door rather than to retail outlets where people actually want to buy then instead of taping the doorbell and making a git of yourself, try putting a card in the letter box. you never know people might actually be interested in what you have to offer and call of there own accord without your sales mastery.

Many thanks for your input, as I previously said don't be getting to upset I'm only putting across a point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing. Always be closing.
    Do I have your Attention. Are you Interested. Making the Decision. Close the Sale gentlemen. You need brass balls in this business you fhcking loosers.

I'm confused? was that supposed to be a pep talk.... or an interview..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

You call youself a salesman? Don't blame the leads, I could make 15,000 with the materials you got, tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

always remember the first time i got stop by one in town, i was only about 15 at the time i didn't have a clue what was going on and yer man was going on and on about how my 10 euro a month could help people, so then he said 'would you be interested in giving 10 euro a month to help out'
    i said 'uhh yeah sure' thinking he was going to give me some leave-lets or something like that, only to break out these bank forms to my surprise:eek: he asked me if i was over 18 and i said nah mate im only 15 and his face dropped cause he thought he was getting his commission:D:D:D

the irony was that i was doing charity work experience in Oxfam for 4th year:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

There is a huge amount of misconceptions about the charity fundraising industry. I'd like to state some things:

1) Payment. Yes they are paid for the work that they do. Some marketing agencies pay commission, others pay basic plus small bonus for good scores, but the majority of in-house fundraising teams pay a flat rate. If they didnt pay, they wouldnt have staff.

2) Benifit to charities. If you ran a charity would you do this if it didnt make you money? The industry is competitive. Someone collecting cash in a tin will expect to pull in between €60-€150 per day, where as regular DD donations can raise upwards of €1000 per day.

3) Excuses. Chuggers are used to them. A Good chuger won't pull any sneaky sales tactics on you, but a bad one might. Same as PC world employees and Estate Agents. Thats just life. What does annoy me is the Smugness: "I use my Ipod, works every time". Chuggers don't care. They're used to it. You are not having a WIN for giving them an excuse. They sign up probably 1% of the people they try to, if they're good. Saying something smart (and then boasting about it) just makes you seem self important. If someone wanted me to give to charity i either say yes if i want to, or no thanks if i dont want to. Easy, polite and straightforward.

4) Legality. DD fundraisers are collecting pledges, not cash, thus there is no Regulation per se, although there is a self regulating body (IFFDR in Ireland, PFRA in UK) that are pretty strict over best practice.

Saying that, i find door to door a little invasive, but not as invasive as The corporates invading my living room with their tv advertising.

Basically, if you dont want to give to charity, dont give. If you do want to, then do. Just don't take life so seriously, they're only doing a job, and at the end of the day, regardless of their tactics, the results of their job are bound to be better than working in a pub and selling booze to people.

The charity industry? **** the lot of them if they use chuggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

the only way to get rid of a good sales man is, you do the talking, If you give a sales person 30 seconds to talk without being interrupted he'll probably reel you in. They work hard and they make good money and slobs and bullies at doors don't put them off.

I laughed when I read this because my dad has been doing it for years. He has a business so gets random calls from people selling. He just goes on and on about how they have a lovely accent and where they're from etc until they hang up.

• Advertisement

The charity industry? **** the lot of them if they use chuggers.

If they relied on sponsored walks and independant goodness of heart then they wouldn't be able to do anything. Like it or not, but it IS an industry. They have to compete with businesses for people's money.

Hatred for Chuggers and whining about so called "Administration Costs" is purely a smoke screen for people who don't want to give.

If you don't want to give, or can't afford it, thats fine. Many people choose not to. It just annoys me that keyboard warriors insist on bad mouthing charities practices because of the tactics they choose, tactics that allow them to do the good work that they do.

Trashbat wrote: »
    If they relied on sponsored walks and independant goodness of heart then they wouldn't be able to do anything. Like it or not, but it IS an industry. They have to compete with businesses for people's money.

Hatred for Chuggers and whining about so called "Administration Costs" is purely a smoke screen for people who don't want to give.

If you don't want to give, or can't afford it, thats fine. Many people choose not to. It just annoys me that keyboard warriors insist on bad mouthing charities practices because of the tactics they choose, tactics that allow them to do the good work that they do.
    So the ends justify the means. Wthey should just get into criminal activity then. If people contribute a certain amount through the old method then so be it. Why do charities think they gave a right to exist beyond their natural limits.
    Speaking as a charity volunteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Hatred for Chuggers and whining about so called "Administration Costs" is purely a smoke screen for people who don't want to give..

I call shenanigans. The two issues are completely different. I give to charities when I seek them out. I do not want to be accosted every time I walk down the street or be held up at my door by some student type getting paid to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

There is a huge amount of misconceptions about the charity fundraising industry. I'd like to state some things:

1) Payment. Yes they are paid for the work that they do. Some marketing agencies pay commission, others pay basic plus small bonus for good scores, but the majority of in-house fundraising teams pay a flat rate. If they didnt pay, they wouldnt have staff.

2) Benifit to charities. If you ran a charity would you do this if it didnt make you money? The industry is competitive. Someone collecting cash in a tin will expect to pull in between €60-€150 per day, where as regular DD donations can raise upwards of €1000 per day.

3) Excuses. Chuggers are used to them. A Good chuger won't pull any sneaky sales tactics on you, but a bad one might. Same as PC world employees and Estate Agents. Thats just life. What does annoy me is the Smugness: "I use my Ipod, works every time". Chuggers don't care. They're used to it. You are not having a WIN for giving them an excuse. They sign up probably 1% of the people they try to, if they're good. Saying something smart (and then boasting about it) just makes you seem self important. If someone wanted me to give to charity i either say yes if i want to, or no thanks if i dont want to. Easy, polite and straightforward.

4) Legality. DD fundraisers are collecting pledges, not cash, thus there is no Regulation per se, although there is a self regulating body (IFFDR in Ireland, PFRA in UK) that are pretty strict over best practice.

Saying that, i find door to door a little invasive, but not as invasive as The corporates invading my living room with their tv advertising.

Basically, if you dont want to give to charity, dont give. If you do want to, then do. Just don't take life so seriously, they're only doing a job, and at the end of the day, regardless of their tactics, the results of their job are bound to be better than working in a pub and selling booze to people.

Really informative, thanks.

Despite my above post I actually did door to door work, albeit only for a few weeks, so I feel a bit sorry for them. We were treated like crap by some residents and that was selling Airtricity, which was basically offering people €400 a year for signing a piece of paper. No brainer. It's depressing. Our working conditions were also **** but that's another story (paid only comission, expected to attend meeting at no pay etc)

I don't mind people calling to my door (Well, my mam's) - but when I'm here on my own I'll either fob them off, have a chat or shout at them depending who they are and what my mood is. There's nothing wrong with them trying, if I was petty enough to complain about having to get off my arse evey time someone knocks (maybe twice a week) then that'd be a poor reflection on me.

What I cannot and will not stand for is people getting in my way in the street. Chuggers who stand shouting at you like they're your newest best friend or worse who physically move into my way are generally met by me shouting the word "move" and walking by them. It should be illegal. They should have to set up a stall or maybe hand out leaflets but no matter whether it's a charity or a business, chugging is a pain.

So the ends justify the means. Wthey should just get into criminal activity then. If people contribute a certain amount through the old method then so be it. Why do charities think they gave a right to exist beyond their natural limits.
    Speaking as a charity volunteer.

But they're not going into anything criminal. They're working withing the confines of the law, as any business would to make enough money to do what they need to do. The key word there is NEED. Imagine if they sat in a temporary health tent in sub-saharan africa and said to half of the people in need of emergency care "Sorry, no medicine for you, people dont like being stopped in the street"

The more money a charity makes, the higher the percentage that goes into benificial projects thus the better it is for them.

Like it or not, but helping the people who need it most is far more important than pleasing people who probably don't want to give them money anyway.

What they do is antisocial and immoral.

prinz wrote: »
    I call shenanigans. The two issues are completely different. I give to charities when I seek them out. I do not want to be accosted every time I walk down the street or be held up at my door by some student type getting paid to do it.

They may be different issues, but they are both often used as excuses (Not by everyone, obviously, some people have genuine concerns and that fine, provided they are researched).

If you seek out to charities to give to them, well done. I'm sure you know that you are in a tiny minority though.

And as far as it goes with getting paid to do it, what wrong with that? Its a bloody hard job, 99% of the day is rejection, an incredible amount of abuse is tolerated and the money is not good (bear in mind cost cutting, the average day involves about 9 to 10 hours work with 7 paid hours, so quoting the €13 per hour is a non-arguement)

Any whats wrong with "Student Types" earning money. not everyone can afford to have daddy pay for their education. And working in a sector that requires you to learn about global issues if far more benificial than learning how to ask someone if they want fries with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Is it just me or is having a rasta dreadknots hairstyle a prequalification for being a chugger? Oh and french too, there seems to be a high percentage of french males with rasta hairstyles as chuggers! They walk up to people in the street trying to hug them :eek:

What they do is antisocial and immoral.

Care to give reasons why?

Some may argue that a lot of charity volunteerism is immoral. It costs money to support volunteers and generally they are not bringing any special skills to the table. Things like student volunteers going off to build wells in Africa is an abomination in certain cases (NB not all organisations). They cost alot in diplomatic support and they deny local workers a chance to generate money for their family. The reasons some organisations allow oversees volunterism is to ensure that these students will have "a life changing experience" and thus become big donors when they are older. Its like giving someone a free pint of Murphy's so they'll convert from Guinness.

That said, some of the volunteer care workers and life boat crew are extremely committed and very much needed.

• Advertisement

Read over any of the million threads for peoples negative experiences if them. If you work in a job that causes so many people anxiety and distress then you are a scummy ****.

I'd agree with you on most charity activity, first world guilt absolving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement