Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers now calling to the front door

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wrong again.. this is only done if someone calls to a house and they can see the people in the house, and the people in the house just ignore the caller. The caller realise's that s/he is not getting a reply,

So why not just piss off and leave them alone? You're not owed an audience when you cold call at someone's door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The Nick Knocking travelling salesman.
    What's next..... the postman who gives wedgies.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

eoin wrote: »
    So why not just piss off and leave them alone? You're not owed an audience when you cold call at someone's door.

So who tf are you with your orders?.. why don't you mind your own little shop.
    I don't remember directing any of my comments to you?

What are you talking about? Why would grown up people pull childish pranks on people sitting in their own home who don't want to be bothered by uninvited callers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

You posted on a public forum. It was kind of directed at everyone reading whether you like it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

Awe your getting tetchy

I have to say though you have impressed me. I've never seen anyone convey an obnoxious air so convincingly over the internet.

so go on and tell the truth your a troll right. because I cannot imagine any salesman employing any of the methods you've described, at least not a gainfully employed one.

anyway I think I have a business idea for any entrepreneurs reading. no chugger signs for front windows. 3 euro and you never have to be rude or make excuses on your own door step again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They generally get the message when you open the door stark bollock naked, with your lad in your hand.

Funny story I heard about a friend of mine.

He was in his house with some girl, having the sex and all that, when the doorbell rang.
    He ran downstairs wearing a dressing down, nothing underneath, and answered the door to 2 Jehovah's Witnesses.
    They started their usual speil, and he interrupted them, saying "Lads, this really is not a good time"
    Along comes the gust of wind that blows up his dressing gown, revealing a nice semi.
    Cue a 5 second awkward pause with everyone staring at their feet until my mate closed the door.

I really hope that story's true :pac:

Anywho, what's the deal with school kids going around looking money for trips and fundraisers? :mad:
    The other week, 2 girls turned up at the door at about 7, looking for money for the basketball team's trip or something. Mum ended up giving them a fiver :rolleyes:
    And they always turn up when you are just in the middle of your dinner, so you are more hassled to get rid of them. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Sure am public and by the sounds of some of the posters here maybe some of our guys called and collected from you guys also, all do there are a few scroungy ones by the sound of it. Now hold on there lads one at a time, I have enough booty for everyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

mikom wrote: »
    The Nick Knocking travelling salesman.
    What's next..... the postman who gives wedgies.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sure am public and by the sounds of some of the posters here maybe some of our guys called and collected from you guys also, all do there are a few scroungy ones by the sound of it. Now hold on there lads one at a time, I have enough booty for everyone....

By that, do you mean that your ass is big enough for everyone to kick you up the hole at the same time? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Oops, I think you just admitted trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 davecadcm

haha this is a great thread.

first of all let me say that I do door to door fundraising and have done for over a year. I am with a fundraising company and have worked for a number of charities... The pay isnt great but there are a lot of worse paying jobs too. we are on minimum wage until we hit a certain target and then it increases but at the very height we only get the equivilant of 4.2% of what a person gives to a charity from talking to us...

It is a high pressure job and if you are not hitting a minimum target consistently you are fired as if costs the company money, similar to sales jobs. We are all given the opportunity to work for a charity that means something to us as, similar to anything else, you will be more convincing trying to get someone on board to support a charity they feel strongly about..

Between 80 and 90% of the people who come to your door from our company will be sponsoring the charity themselves... I previously had 4 direct debits for different charities but due to health problems which have limited my ability to work I have cut back to one...

I think one important thing people need to learn is that any good "chugger" doesnt care what you say when trying to get rid of them.. I have previously worked on the street and the second someone says they done want to talk you turn and look for someone else... our only concern is with people who are interested in supporting....

I am willing to discuss further with anyone who is interested but can we keep the childish comments to a minimum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

well said

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

If any of your "sales techniques" are actually true which I doubt I am surprised you haven't got a good hiding or been sacked yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I dont remember inviting little ***** like you to my house.

Been thinkin bout this thread a bit more and its actually pi**ing me off. A lot of people need to shut the f**k up....

People are giving out about what is generally a minor inconveniance. how long does it take to get to your door and say im not interested politely.

At the end of the day the charities we are working for are mostly trying to save lives in one way or another.. If my years work of going door to door has managed to save one childs life in the 3rd world or even get a child away from an abusive situation here in Ireland i recon its worth it.

At the end of the day, no matter what the motivatin of the chugger, if they convince someone to sign up to support then it is quite possible saving a life somewhere else.... Just because it is no1 you know doesnt mean F**k all to me....

How bout you stop spending so much time bitching and do something about your situation.. Cant afford it?? get a part time job as well... or do a part time course so u can get a better job... Stop making excuses and cop the f**k on...

So now you're pissed off because people don't like having their privacy intruded upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

davecadcm wrote: »
    Been thinkin bout this thread a bit more and its actually pi**ing me off. A lot of people need to shut the f**k up....

People are giving out about what is generally a minor inconveniance. how long does it take to get to your door and say im not interested politely.

At the end of the day the charities we are working for are mostly trying to save lives in one way or another.. If my years work of going door to door has managed to save one childs life in the 3rd world or even get a child away from an abusive situation here in Ireland i recon its worth it.

At the end of the day, no matter what the motivatin of the chugger, if they convince someone to sign up to support then it is quite possible saving a life somewhere else.... Just because it is no1 you know doesnt mean F**k all to me....

How bout you stop spending so much time bitching and do something about your situation.. Cant afford it?? get a part time job as well... or do a part time course so u can get a better job... Stop making excuses and cop the f**k on...

Nobody has complained about charities...it's the chuggers who piss people off. If I'm approached by a charity and I say "no, thanks" that should be the end of the conversation. I have no problem dropping a few euro into a bucket or buying a daffodil or whatever but no stranger is getting my account details

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Saying you're not interested politely isn't always enough to get rid of the really persistent ones, often you have to resort to rudeness. Unfortunate but true.

I don't think anybody is denying that charities do good work, in fact I think you'll find that most people here do support charities in one way or another. What annoys people is the methods that some chuggers use to try guilting people into donating money.

Firstly, I'm sure it hasn't escaped your notice that we are in a recession, and jobs are not as easy to come by as they used to be (see thread on 400 people applying to wash dishes in a chipper in Letterkenny) Most people are lucky if they have one job, I don't see how people are meant to start signing up for second ones

Secondly, if a chugger suggested that I should get a second job so that I could support their charity, I probably would slap them. I'm already a full time student and I work three days a week, which barely covers my rent and bills. Nobody appreciates a presumptuous stranger making judgement on their lifestyle.

Once I told a chugger I wasn't interested, and they started verbally attacking me for having an iPod when there are children starving in third world countries. The iPod in question was won by a friend in a Coca Cola competition, and I bought it off her for cheap - but why should I feel I need to justify that to a complete stranger? I can spend what little disposable income I have in whatever way I want. I already support one particular charity, one which doesn't use such aggressive tactics, so I don't see why I should sign up to support any of the ones that do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

daithimac wrote: »
    I love these guys.

Also no one has poised the age old question. What happens when an immovable object meets and unstoppable force. What happens when you try to convert a chugger to the church of Scientology????????

the chugger realises its dealing with a fcuking moron

I'd smash your house up if you did that to me.

no you wouldnt

I sold and collected at doors for years and none of the above will put off a good sales person.

[1] People who don't answer the door and I knew they were in. put sticky tape on door bell and run like fcuk, you'll still have to answer the door.

[2] Cold winters night, ring door bell big guy comes out, I never buy anything at the door, I accept his excuse and walk away. He calls out, close that gate behind you he bellows. I reply,"you don't buy anything at the door, I don't close gates?

if this is your style , you're going to end up beaten to death with your own face one day
    FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Gladiator.

You don't really give 2 fcuks about the starving people ,chuggers get PAID! Why dont you donate every penny you're getting paid for doing it?
    Instead you boast 'I'm collecting money to save the third world people'...
    But in reality , you're in it for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

theres literally one doing the rounds now on my road, not answering, dont give a ****e if she can see the tv on in the window.

also anyone notice the amount of "fight against drugs" chuggers around these days and im sorry to be judgemental but a lot of them come across as complete skobes, tracksuits bottoms tucked into their air max's etc. my initial reaction to them is its a scam.has anyone spoke to these and found out what their "fight" is all about? wheres the money going?

Yeah I am being paid to do it and to be honest how many people do you think would spend 40+ hours a week fundraising for a charity.. I do need to support myself as well....

I am not complaining about people who say they are not interested in doing it, I just have a problem with the guys who are giving out that they have to stand up, talk for 20 seconds and then go back to what they are doing. I was doing charity myself before i got this job, have done sponsored cycles, runs, held charity games and even a 67k adventure race to help different charities as well as my local primary school.

I also get that people will do some charity of their own free will and in their own time but its generally not enough. The main alternative to chuggers is usually advertising on tv and radio looking for support which rarely breaks even for charities, why else do you think so many charities use chuggers.

As to there not being work out there, there is if you are willing to step out of your comfort zone. We are always looking for people to work for us as well as a number of other fundraising companies. there is door to door sales companies all over the country. plenty of other things out there if you look hard enough. It is amazing the amount of people i see at doors who will tell me they cant do it because they are out of work and yet point blank refuse to take a job with us... (not only draining money from the gov but turning down the chance to support themselves.)

On a personal note this job has given me a lot of self confidence. I am still quite a shy person in general life but have found that since starting this i have been able to have conversations with people about nearly anything and it has had a positive impact on the rest of my life as well..

Oh and to gladiator, who thinks I dont care about what is going on in the third world, I have been over the zambia with my school when we helped to build a school over there and I can honestly say that the situation there is unimaginable. Its like being on a different planet and having seen what is going on there I have been "voluntarily" fundraising for them since. And I was making a substantial monthly donation until I got sick and was forced to reduce what charities i was supporting...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Dave, I have been doing stuff for the people of the Western Sahara for years, I have run the MdS which some people claim to be the toughest footrace in the world for an Irish charity. Yes I raise funds, I also pay for my own trips every cent I get goes to the charity. There is a significant difference between raising funds and pestering people which I understand this thread to be about.

Congrats on you charity work but that do not give people the right to invade other people's private space, it doesn't matter if you walking down the street or in your own home. If people want to give to a charity the will, they have the right to go about their own business without chuggers pestering them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement