Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers now calling to the front door

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 davecadcm

MdS?? is that the 7 marathons in 7 days in the desert??? Am hoping to get into that at some stage when i get healthy again.

I accept that it is an inconveniance but at the end of the day it is the best way for the charities to function and reach out to more people. As has been previously suggested, having someone stand on the street and not approach people would mabye raise €150 each day. What we do raises on average about €3,000 per day. (broken down the average person who signs up will give for 5 years and €4.80 per week adds up to €252 a year by five makes over €1260. the average fundraiser would get 3 per day so taking away the fundraisers and the companies pay that is over €3000 for the charity. Then there is the further increase of the tax efficent giving by which the charity can claim up to 72% of the persons donation back in tax which could be and extra €181.03 each year.)

While a lot of people have had bad experiences with fundraisers it is usually the bad ones who will stand at the door and pester you. the good ones work on the law of averages so they want to get away from the people who do not want to sign up as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Just tell them that you couldn't give a shite about starving aids ridden African children. Seems to achieve the result of not only repelling them but shocking them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

davecadcm wrote: »
    MdS?? is that the 7 marathons in 7 days in the desert??? Am hoping to get into that at some stage when i get healthy again.

I accept that it is an inconveniance but at the end of the day it is the best way for the charities to function and reach out to more people. As has been previously suggested, having someone stand on the street and not approach people would mabye raise €150 each day. What we do raises on average about €3,000 per day. (broken down the average person who signs up will give for 5 years and €4.80 per week adds up to €252 a year by five makes over €1260. the average fundraiser would get 3 per day so taking away the fundraisers and the companies pay that is over €3000 for the charity. Then there is the further increase of the tax efficent giving by which the charity can claim up to 72% of the persons donation back in tax which could be and extra €181.03 each year.)

While a lot of people have had bad experiences with fundraisers it is usually the bad ones who will stand at the door and pester you. the good ones work on the law of averages so they want to get away from the people who do not want to sign up as quickly as possible.

That's the one, the distance varies each year, but I also do the Sahara Marthon every year. I started to save the week after I arrived home this year, to pay my way next year. No charity that operates in such an aggressive manner gets a cent from me. That is the way is with me and tbh as I fund raise I always sponser anybody I know who is involved in an event. However, as I said if you try those tactics with me you get nothing, and it appears that a lot of people here are of the same opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Been thinkin bout this thread a bit more and its actually pi**ing me off. A lot of people need to shut the f**k up....

People are giving out about what is generally a minor inconveniance. how long does it take to get to your door and say im not interested politely.

At the end of the day the charities we are working for are mostly trying to save lives in one way or another.. If my years work of going door to door has managed to save one childs life in the 3rd world or even get a child away from an abusive situation here in Ireland i recon its worth it.

At the end of the day, no matter what the motivatin of the chugger, if they convince someone to sign up to support then it is quite possible saving a life somewhere else.... Just because it is no1 you know doesnt mean F**k all to me....

How bout you stop spending so much time bitching and do something about your situation.. Cant afford it?? get a part time job as well... or do a part time course so u can get a better job... Stop making excuses and cop the f**k on...

You appear to be so high up on your horse, that your head is in the clouds. Obviously, you have never taken the time to examine the reality of the effects that charities really have.

Charitable giving is not an effective way of solving problems. Indeed charitable giving distracts from finding the best solution - which might involve a complex rethink of the way the world organises its economic relationships, and large-scale government initiatives to change people's conditions.

The effort put into charity would be better devoted to pressuring governments to bring about real, needed change. And governments might be more likely to focus on dealing with poverty if they weren't being helped by charities.

This isn't a new argument:

"It is more socially injurious for the millionaire to spend his surplus wealth in charity than in luxury. For by spending it on luxury, he chiefly injures himself and his immediate circle, but by spending it in charity he inflicts a graver injury upon society.

For every act of charity, applied to heal suffering arising from defective arrangements of society, serves to weaken the personal springs of social reform, alike by the 'miraculous' relief it brings to the individual 'case' that is relieved, and by the softening influence it exercises on the hearts and heads of those who witness it.

It substitutes the idea and the desire of individual reform for those of social reform, and so weakens the capacity for collective self-help in society."

J A Hobson, Work and Wealth, 1914

Add to that, tax incentives for charitable giving, which worsen social inequalities, by reducing the revenue that the state has available for social projects and granting tax exempt status to charitable organisations reduces the revenue available for state projects.

Both of these aspects of tax regimes are a transfer of monies from an area that is politically accountable for its spending to an area where accountability is more variable.

Put simply, charity is like using a band-aid in the hope that it will cure a gaping wound that needs stitches, but not only does it not cure the gaping wound, it actually makes the injury worse.

Whilst your work as a chugger may have saved the life of a 3rd world child, it may also have helped worsen the lives of many more.

Chuggers like you will say that it is a "minor inconveniance" to take the time to listen to their pitch, but I have often found that when I explain my motives for not giving to charities, that they very often do not reciprocate the politeness of listening.

Sometimes I have felt like telling them to "shut the f**k up" and to "Stop making excuses and cop the f**k on", but I would never be as rude as you.

I agree that the way a lot of charities are just putting a bandaid over the problem but the other option that MIGHT force a government to make changes would be to let these people suffer and die....

the overall problem is the way many of these countries are run. It is estimated that if sudan were to sort itself out they would be able to produce enough food to feed the whole continent of africa as well as stabilise and advance the aftican economy enough to allow it to catch up with the west with 30-35 years. But until the the world finds a way to stabilise these countries the work charities do is the only way...

United, the irish public 'will not' stand up and make enough noise to get make a change in many of these places. We cant even sort ourselves out enough to look after out own country (1 in 7 children living in consistent poverty... not gauranteed a hot meal from day to day) what are the chances of us getting up and making enough noise to get foreign governments to take notice....

However we can go out and get people on an individual basis to help make the band aid bigger until it eventually covers the wound while we get to the hospital to get those stitches in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

df1985 wrote: »
    theres literally one doing the rounds now on my road, not answering, dont give a ****e if she can see the tv on in the window.

also anyone notice the amount of "fight against drugs" chuggers around these days and im sorry to be judgemental but a lot of them come across as complete skobes, tracksuits bottoms tucked into their air max's etc. my initial reaction to them is its a scam.has anyone spoke to these and found out what their "fight" is all about? wheres the money going?

i was pestered daily by 2 guys like the above whilst going into my local topaz on the n11 on my way to work , they were harassing every person going in and out looking for support for their fight against addiction , having encountered me in a bad humour one friday evening , i decided to probe a bit deeper , asked them for id , to prove they were the ones on the sheet and then asked them to show me their licence for collecting donations .... both stared at me blankly so i told them i was calling the guards .....the 2 scobies ran , i then made an official complaint to the service station manager , who had allowed these fookers to intimidate their customers , pushing their clipboards in faces for weeks , turns out the service station had not even bothered checking whether these 2 were even genuine, before i brought the matter to their attention , as for the fight against addiction , **** off ye cnuts , i never asked ye to shoot up and im sure as **** not gonna mollycoddle ye with cash for staying clean ...the fooking cheek !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Freckles..!

eoin wrote: »
    Between them and the door-to-door sales people (yet).

I'd take this any day.. lately gypsies have been calling to my boyfriends house and all the other houses in the estate with their coffee cups begging for change!

have run into the fight against addiction guys a few times. not sure of their legitimacy.. I know they are not paid for it but past that not sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

have run into the fight against addiction guys a few times. not sure of their legitimacy.. I know they are not paid for it but past that not sure...

They get paid once they rob your account with your bank details

As far as I know they are looking for cash rather than direct debits...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Never give money to anyone claiming to be collecting for a treatment center, most I have encountered are for real, but they are usually happy clappers causing more damage in my opinion. There is one center that regularly collects in Dublin, the thing is the charge most people for treatment, then have the balls to try collect cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

As far as I know they are looking for cash rather than direct debits...

yep cash , cash so they can do a run to their local drug dealer to by whatever it is theyre on this week ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I agree that the way a lot of charities are just putting a bandaid over the problem but the other option that MIGHT force a government to make changes would be to let these people suffer and die....

the overall problem is the way many of these countries are run. It is estimated that if sudan were to sort itself out they would be able to produce enough food to feed the whole continent of africa as well as stabilise and advance the aftican economy enough to allow it to catch up with the west with 30-35 years. But until the the world finds a way to stabilise these countries the work charities do is the only way...

United, the irish public 'will not' stand up and make enough noise to get make a change in many of these places. We cant even sort ourselves out enough to look after out own country (1 in 7 children living in consistent poverty... not gauranteed a hot meal from day to day) what are the chances of us getting up and making enough noise to get foreign governments to take notice....

However we can go out and get people on an individual basis to help make the band aid bigger until it eventually covers the wound while we get to the hospital to get those stitches in

You've missed the point completely. People who give to charities in Africa believe they are halping to solve a problem, but they are making it worse.

Put it this way, if all charitable donations to African countries stopped tomorrow, millions would die as a result. If that happened, there would be a sudden & huge political drive to force the African governments to sort out the problems that they have the resources to do.

Yes, millions would die in the meatime, but by continuing the way things are, a hell of a lot more will die because of it.

And no matter what you think, there ain't enough band-aids to solve the world's problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ChuggaChugga

Star - Who are you to play God and decide who should live and who should die...?! And that is ONLY an expression, I'm not overly religious (just before I get jumped upon for that!)

And I disagree, if all charities pulled out of Africa, I don't think the governments there would co-ordinate in a mass movement... the saying the rich get richer and the poor get poorer has been around a long time for a reason...

And you won't support the charities offering immediate relief, but what about a lobby group such as Amnesty, as they're working to achieve the aims you're talking about...

And while yes, there are the chuggers out there who give the rest of us all a bad name, who are aggressive and don't f*ck off away from your door when asked - those of us, who are actually good at what we do, wouldn't dream of pestering you, and as Davecadcm said, we know there's no point wasting our time with people who say no straight away - for whatever reason, because we do work on a basis of a law of averages, and could be 3/4/5 doors up, talking to someone who is interested and might be interested in doing something productive to help stop the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Im out of work so Im home nearly every single day and I get far too many people trying to collect for poxy dog charities Im getting exasperated by it.

Then its airtricity, eircom, bord gais, wheelie bin companies, students selling artwork, people offering to clean my windows, some moron selling insurance for self employed people :confused:, somebody selling the opportunity to read my palms(rob my house), travellers selling a whole world of things and then its my estate management company looking for me to give him €300 per annum and thats all before my local community come looking for money to pay for the community centre they renovated. Well I didn't ask you to renovate it.

I just give them the Im unemployed thing and most go away except for the guy from the "Dogs Trust" who said "You must not like dogs so".

FVCK OFF! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Berty wrote: »
    I just give them the Im unemployed thing and most go away except for the guy from the "Dogs Trust" who said "You must not like dogs so".

Unemployed people dont like dogs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Unemployed people dont like dogs ?

Apparently we hate them. We are the scourge of society, didn't you get the newsletter? We take our social welfare and spend it on 3 things.

(1)Alcohol
    (2)Cigarettes
    (3)In the Bookies

Or so is the perception of society so why not assume we hate dogs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Sheeps wrote: »
    Just tell them that you couldn't give a shite about starving aids ridden African children.

+1

If you help Africa, then you're shooting your children in the foot.
    As African conditions improve, it'll be the next cheap manufacturing labour force to compete for jobs. India entered the I.T. sector in force, and a load of call centres and outsourcing of computer programming projects went to them (with varying success). Dell jobs moved to Poland, but might move to Africa in another 10 years, who knows.

In the grand scheme of things, charity bypasses evolution/natural selection, which lessens humanity, not make it stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

They're calling to doors now? Next there'll be beggers knocking our doors trying to sell us their babies. Oh wait! :pac:

Berty wrote: »
    We take our social welfare and spend it on 35 things.

(1)Alcohol
    (2)Cigarettes
    (3)In the Bookies
    (4) Other Drugs
    (5) TV's with really flat screens

FYP !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    FYP !

(5) TV's with really flat screens + net access :)

Get with the times Mike :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Yeah I am being paid to do it and to be honest how many people do you think would spend 40+ hours a week fundraising for a charity.. I do need to support myself as well....

Look up hypocricy in the dictionary.

It is amazing the amount of people i see at doors who will tell me they cant do it because they are out of work and yet point blank refuse to take a job with us... (not only draining money from the gov but turning down the chance to support themselves.)

FCUK YOU:mad:. I wouldnt lower myself, chuggers are scum of the earth. I'd rather go hungry.

Gladiator. wrote: »
    You don't really give 2 fcuks about the starving people ,chuggers get PAID! Why dont you donate every penny you're getting paid for doing it?
    Instead you boast 'I'm collecting money to save the third world people'...
    But in reality , you're in it for the money.

+1

Collie D wrote: »
    Nobody has complained about charities...it's the chuggers who piss people off. If I'm approached by a charity and I say "no, thanks" that should be the end of the conversation. I have no problem dropping a few euro into a bucket or buying a daffodil or whatever but no stranger is getting my account details

Best post in the thread. Sums up what everybody's thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

everytime some body comes to the door selling stuff
    to keep my eight year old happy coz he gave out to me for being short one day
    i tells them i already have or have done what they are proposing
    everyone is happy:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A little courtesy goes a long way, too much wimpy aggression going around.

Young kids not learning any manners growing up?

In the grand scheme of things, charity bypasses evolution/natural selection, which lessens humanity, not make it stronger.

Social Darwinism is alive and well it would seem :(

+1

If you help Africa, then you're shooting your children in the foot.
    As African conditions improve, it'll be the next cheap manufacturing labour force to compete for jobs. India entered the I.T. sector in force, and a load of call centres and outsourcing of computer programming projects went to them (with varying success). Dell jobs moved to Poland, but might move to Africa in another 10 years, who knows.

That is quite possibly THE most stupid thing I have ever heard... It is the ignorance of people like yourself that allow such inhumane situations to exist in the first place... Congratulations, you are officially a muppet!

Look up hypocricy in the dictionary.

FCUK YOU:mad:. I wouldnt lower myself, chuggers are scum of the earth. I'd rather go hungry.

+1

Best post in the thread. Sums up what everybody's thinking.

I think it is you who should look up "hypocrisy" in the dictionary, as you didn't even manage to spell it right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Chugger chugger chugger
    scum scum scum

The only good chugger is a dead chugger.

Chugger chugger chugger
    scum scum scum

The only good chugger is a dead chugger.

It amazes me that people like you get away with being quite so ignorant! I have a job - a career really - that actually is making a difference in the world...How is the dole working out for you??

To be honest, you don't have to listen to us, you don't have to give money to a worthy cause, but why come on here to give out about someone doing something worthwhile with their time, when clearly you're wasting yours!

• Advertisement

I believe Hitler had a similar mentality, actually... Didn't work so well for him in the end!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement