Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers now calling to the front door

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Oh please stop. The sillyness on display is hurting my feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ChuggaChugga

Well, nobody's forcing you to keep reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Well, nobody's forcing you to keep reading!

Hopefully somebody will come along and put a stop to it.

I agree about the insults and abuse from Bertie... But as for the rest, it's just a debate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

It amazes me that people like you get away with being quite so ignorant! I have a job - a career really - that actually is making a difference in the world...How is the dole working out for you??

To be honest, you don't have to listen to us, you don't have to give money to a worthy cause, but why come on here to give out about someone doing something worthwhile with their time, when clearly you're wasting yours!

Panhandling on the streets with a garish raincoat is a career now us it? You are a leech, getting people to donate to the charity of you. Get a real job.

I will spit in your face if you ever darken my door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Bit strong, isn't it? What's wrong with a polite no thank you? I'm no fan of chuggers but I find saying no usually works. About once or twice a week I'll get a persistent one who will stand in my way. I save the "**** off" for them. The ones that actually have the barefaced cheek to actually touch me...let's say that's festering into a kick in the nuts.

Panhandling on the streets with a garish raincoat is a career now us it? You are a leech, getting people to donate to the charity of you. Get a real job.

Wow, classy and ignorant! You really got lucky in that draw! It's not to the charity of me...and if you'd any sense you'd realise that! It's a worthwhile and genuine industry - the fact that you don't see that speaks volumes! But you know, you're right, it's obviously much better to stay at home on the dole, sponging off the government and everybody that you know to boot, than actually get up off you a$$ and do something...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

davecadcm wrote: »
    It is amazing the amount of people i see at doors who will tell me they cant do it because they are out of work and yet point blank refuse to take a job with us

I remember reading something about a woman in Amsterdam who was threatened with loss of her dole because she wouldn't take a job as a prostitute. I could emphathise - there are certain jobs that one may take a serious moral objection to.

A similar dilemma occurs with the prospect of being reduced to chugging to pay one's bills.

Collie D wrote: »
    Bit strong, isn't it? What's wrong with a polite no thank you? I'm no fan of chuggers but I find saying no usually works. About once or twice a week I'll get a persistent one who will stand in my way. I save the "**** off" for them. The ones that actually have the barefaced cheek to actually touch me...let's say that's festering into a kick in the nuts.

You're right - those of us who take it seriously don't pester and annoy... we're generally ;-) polite... Aggressive people don't last, as they give the charity a bad name!

FruitLover wrote: »
    I remember reading something about a woman in Amsterdam who was threatened with loss of her dole because she wouldn't take a job as a prostitute. I could emphathise - there are certain jobs that one may take a serious moral objection to.

A similar dilemma occurs with the prospect of being reduced to chugging to pay one's bills.

*sighs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

I'm also sick of chuggers.

IMO they are bad publicity for a charity. Concern is very big in my local community and a lot of people do a lot of work, organising community based events and it's well respected. In contrast, many people are absolutely sick to the teeth of being approached by the Concern and other chuggers.

I'm also tired of the bag packers. I appreciate that they are trying to raise money for a good cause in most cases but I don't know anything about their charity in the vast majority of cases and I don't want to have to give money just because there's someone at the other end of the checkout willing to pack my bags. I normally avoid the checkout with the bag packers.

Your parents must be so ashamed of you. It is sickening to think people like you ate free to roam the streets pissing decent people off.

Your parents must be so ashamed of you. It is sickening to think people like you ate free to roam the streets pissing decent people off.

:D you amuse me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Ammonite wrote: »
    I'm also tired of the bag packers. I appreciate that they are trying to raise money for a good cause in most cases but I don't know anything about their charity in the vast majority of cases and I don't want to have to give money just because there's someone at the other end of the checkout willing to pack my bags. I normally avoid the checkout with the bag packers.
    I wouldn't mind if they were any good. Damn kids.

Oh, and you are far from decent, mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 davecadcm

simple question: do you think its better for the charities to get more money to be able to expand and help more people/dogs/children etc or not???

Chuggers get the job done, wouldnt be out here if we didnt

Oh, and you are far from decent, mate!

How dare you. I prude myself in being a decent citizen and public servant. I won't be judged by a charlatan like yourself.

Just noticed something. I didn't know chuggers called themselves chuggers

decent citizen and public servant.

This is AH...that won't go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I agree about the insults and abuse from Bertie... But as for the rest, it's just a debate...

Phew nearly thought it was about me for a moment. :D
    simple question: do you think its better for the charities to get more money to be able to expand and help more people/dogs/children etc or not???

Chuggers get the job done, wouldnt be out here if we didnt

Chuggers take a wage and have the cheek to ask people on the street for money. They will look back in years to come and regret making that decision to work for parasites like that.

I don't think charities should use this means to secure funding because I, and I know other people feel the same, have decided that I WILL NEVER GIVE ANY MONEY TO ANY CHARITY THAT USES CHUGGERS EVER AGAIN.

I don't respect chuggers because their reasons to wear the name of the charity are not sincere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

No, it's not better.

The one thing Chuggers have done for me is put me off giving to Irish charities.

If I was working for a well-run Irish charity, I would be fuming at the damage some of these wannabe Terry Tibbs have done to the broader reputation of charities here.

Berty wrote: »
    Phew nearly thought it was about me for a moment. :D

Chuggers take a wage and have the cheek to ask people on the street for money. They will look back in years to come and regret making that decision to work for parasites like that.

I don't think charities should use this means to secure funding because I, and I know other people feel the same, have decided that I WILL NEVER GIVE ANY MONEY TO ANY CHARITY THAT USES CHUGGERS EVER AGAIN.

I don't respect chuggers because their reasons to wear the name of the charity are not sincere.

I sort of agree. Obviously I would prefer someone to take a job as a chugger rather than to sit at home on the dole if work is scarce. And I recognise that charities need some paid workers for administration etc. But I don't agree with the idea of sending these chuggers out onto the street, they damage the reputations of these charities with the tactics they use and the very fact that people on the street know that they are on a wage and not doing it for the good of a charity.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Apologies for my late arrival to this thread.
    Chuggachugga banned.
    Obviously.

Ammonite wrote: »
    I sort of agree. Obviously I would prefer someone to take a job as a chugger rather than to sit at home on the dole if work is scarce. And I recognise that charities need some paid workers for administration etc. But I don't agree with the idea of sending these chuggers out onto the street, they damage the reputations of these charities with the tactics they use and the very fact that people on the street know that they are on a wage and not doing it for the good of a charity.

Charities do not employ chuggers. They contract out collections to Total Fundraising Ireland who hire these people.

I have no problem charities having a staff or even a salaried staff but sub contracting chuggers is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

As far as i know there are two types of people that get wages from charities for collecting.
    (now this is all hear say from a friend a while back who was working for a charity, so pinch of salt and all that)

Type A: get a wage, but aren't allowed stop you, grab you, give you any B.S or any of that. They stand there with the bucket and thats it,maybe give out info or whatever, i dunno.

Type B: is the regular common chugger. Gets in your face, talks crap and is basically a pain in the arse.

Type A i wouldn't be comfortable with and could never do what they do, but Type B. They are a serious pain.
    What makes them think its ok to get in peoples faces, block their way, say **** to people etc?
    Like Peanut said, Type B makes me not only not give to charities they're working for, but makes me suspicious of other collectors.

(correct me if what that friend told me is wrong btw)

People don't like smart arses questioning why they don't have time or money for charity and they certainly don't like people invading their personal space.

edit- Berty correcting me about the contracts, was writing while ya posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Then there was the charity in Dublin whose government funding was stopped cos someone had a salary of €120,000 per year and was pulling other money tricks. Cant remember their name, but jack o connor from the union was defending them.

Then there was the charity in Dublin whose government funding was stopped cos someone had a salary of €120,000 per year and was pulling other money tricks. Cant remember their name, but jack o connor from the union was defending them.

A salary like that is not unusual for top guy in a charity. If anything, it's probably on the low side. CEO in a charity is no different from a CEO in any other company. They have to pay the going rate to attract the right candidiates I suppose.

The Sheraton in Athlone added €1 to my bill and only told me about it when I asked about it.

Eurocamp holidays also did the same thing.

They only told me about the charge when I spotted it.

Illegal surely. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The Sheraton in Athlone added €1 to my bill and only told me about it when I asked about it.

Eurocamp holidays also did the same thing.

They only told me about the charge when I spotted it.

Illegal surely. :confused:
    Probably had it in small print that not disputing the charge counts as a tacit agreement to pay said charge.

• Advertisement

Charities do not employ chuggers. They contract out collections to Total Fundraising Ireland who hire these people.

I have no problem charities having a staff or even a salaried staff but sub contracting chuggers is the problem.

Thanks for clarifying this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement