Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert Irish HL 2010

• 26-05-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Does any one have any tips on how i could improve at the Irish aural? i really need to improve at it, i would appreciate any helpful comments.

Also i think the following will come up, clare sa speir, lig sin i gcathu, fiche bhlian ag fas.Jack,nil aon ni, faoiseamh a gheobhadsa, chead drama, an toilean and maybe maigdileana,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

greener44 wrote: »
    Does any one have any tips on how i could improve at the Irish aural? i really need to improve at it, i would appreciate any helpful comments.

Also i think the following will come up, clare sa speir, lig sin i gcathu, fiche bhlian ag fas.Jack,nil aon ni, faoiseamh a gheobhadsa, chead drama, an toilean and maybe maigdileana,

Practice as much as you can - do all of the past papers and correct with marking schemes. Never underestimate the power of practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dairemcq

Aural wise you just need practise do one every second day.
    I agree with most of your predictions and I think that something along the lines of polaiteoirí na tíre might come up for the aiste on P1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

howcome everyone thinks lig sin i gcathu is gonna come up? it's been up the last three years, I really hate that one. Was going to just leave it out, is that a bad idea? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

cweeva wrote: »
    howcome everyone thinks lig sin i gcathu is gonna come up? it's been up the last three years, I really hate that one. Was going to just leave it out, is that a bad idea? :/
    Im with you on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A useful tip I got for the aural is to just listen the firt time and not write anything, it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

something to be careful of this year is honours poetry :) the current chief examiner has shook up a section of the paper every year (repeating th stair section verbatum last year!) and the only one that remains untouched is honours poetry. so don't rule out any poems that came up last year - dá mb'fhéidir arís dar gcumann etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 greener44

He will hardly be that much of a prick to start juggling around the poetry will he?

is there an point even doing stair na gaeilge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

No theres no point doing stair na gaeilge just leave it out. You can leave out the aural too its not worth much, and most people just do one comprehension to save time and effort... OF COURSE DO STAIR ITS EASY MARKS!!

How is it easy?there is a lot to cover in it? any idea's what might come up in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

No theres no point doing stair na gaeilge just leave it out. You can leave out the aural too its not worth much, and most people just do one comprehension to save time and effort... OF COURSE DO STAIR ITS EASY MARKS!!

Are you crazy :eek: Stair is 5%, aural is worth 17% and one comprehension is 6&... Thats 28% of your grade!

• Advertisement

he was being sarcastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

He will hardly be that much of a prick to start juggling around the poetry will he?

is there an point even doing stair na gaeilge?

Can't say for sure but I don't want to get caught out :rolleyes:
    For stair I would definitely say do it. Don't concentrate on anything that came up last year - it shouldn't be repeated for a third time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anak7

I'm new here, hello everyone biggrin.gif

I was wondering does anybody have any tips on whats coming up for An Triail and Stair na Gaeilge?

For the essay, "An Stad na Tire" seems too predictable? Or anything to do with the recession? I was thinking of "Na Daoine Oga" perhaps? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 beckys

hey i was just wondering what i need to knoe in the following poems.
    gealt
    nil aon ni
    bimse buan ar buairt gach lo
    jack
    faoiseamh a ghepbhadsa
    an cearrbhach mac caba
    an bhean og
    clare sa speir.
    all im looking for is like the way in fiche blian ag fas all you need to know is the innocence in the story and the comedy also.
    im not looking for my work to be done i just need help badly
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cantw84summer

Aw lovely I fair hope they come up!! Im no good at aural but people just say like 2 keep pactising .... ive never even tried 2 practice so thats why im bad I presume haha!! Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MagsK93

beckys wrote: »
    hey i was just wondering what i need to knoe in the following poems.
    gealt
    nil aon ni
    bimse buan ar buairt gach lo
    jack
    faoiseamh a ghepbhadsa
    an cearrbhach mac caba
    an bhean og
    clare sa speir.
    all im looking for is like the way in fiche blian ag fas all you need to know is the innocence in the story and the comedy also.
    im not looking for my work to be done i just need help badly
    :)

out of those id say leave out bimse buan and an bean og, for fiche bliain just go through how they show their youth throughout the story and the main scene for comedy is in the teach tabhairne. and if you want you can just say the way they show their youth is amusing then you could use one answer for both themes :) if you say somethings funny and explain the examiner cant say your wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭mcnewberson

MagsK93 wrote: »
    out of those id say leave out bimse buan and an bean og, for fiche bliain just go through how they show their youth throughout the story and the main scene for comedy is in the teach tabhairne. and if you want you can just say the way they show their youth is amusing then you could use one answer for both themes :) if you say somethings funny and explain the examiner cant say your wrong.

Bimse is yet to come up as the compulsory question in the poetry, I think this could be the year?

would i be safe for the pro's just knowing clare sa speir,fiche bhlian ag fas and lig sin i gcathu???

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Princess3

I'm dreading this exam, hopefully it won't be too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

would i be safe for the pro's just knowing clare sa speir,fiche bhlian ag fas and lig sin i gcathu???

Theres 5 short stories and 3 come up on the exam with you answering 2.

For the mocks I just did Fiche Bliain and i wrote a few lines for the other one i didnt't know and I got an A1 - my point is that pros are very little marks and you would be much better spending time on stair or something which is more than a pros answer and easier to learn!

Lig Sinn u could spend hours learning and it might be a 15 marker = same as one stair piece!

Im only doing Fiche Bliain and Clare sa speir!

Concentrare on your drama (40 marks) and honours poetry ( 35 ) and of course your Aiste

• Advertisement

pararory thanks for your advice it makes a lot of sense,which area's of stair na gaeilge would be best to concentrate on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

am i the only person who hasn't learned anything for irish yet.....

For Stair,I would say to know at least;
    Fiannaiocht , Bealoideas , an tamhran , gaeltachtai , canuinti , aisling polaitiul

Then maybe go over ; Mean Cumarsaide , meath na gaeilge ,

I ahvea list of about 10 or 12 il post more when i find it!

Dont bother with the poets/writers - way too many and you' just get confused with the facts n figures!

thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭mcnewberson

PARARORY wrote: »
    For Stair,I would say to know at least;
    Fiannaiocht , Bealoideas , an tamhran , gaeltachtai , canuinti , aisling polaitiul

Then maybe go over ; Mean Cumarsaide , meath na gaeilge ,

I ahvea list of about 10 or 12 il post more when i find it!

Dont bother with the poets/writers - way too many and you' just get confused with the facts n figures!

Maybe for the poets , Just pick what didnt come up last year, A couple of points is all thats needed right?

Maybe for the poets , Just pick what didnt come up last year, A couple of points is all thats needed right?

For the poets you would want 4/5good solid facts for full marks.

where they were born / birth year ,
    maybe one point about their work , name some poems etc
    another fact
    when they died

Thats sort of the pattern we were told to follow , but if since its all based around birth years , death years its so easy to mix them up if your learning more than one! So hard to predict as well but if you look at the past papers they do tend to ask about people that are on the course

e.g Aini Ni Ghlinn (gealt and bean og ), Mairead Ni G ( an triail )

Might be worth picking 3 of the authors on our course this year just as a backup cuz it is easy marks if you can remmeber the points

An Ghaeilge mar Theanga Cheilteach.Ogham.An Aisling Pholaitiúil
    Meath na Gaeilge sa Naou hAois Deag.An Ghaeilge sna Meáin Chumarsáide

thats all im doing,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

my teacher KEPT going over uircheall... she's been teaching for yrs... nd is nearly always spot on with her predictions! doing an t-oilean, cead drama and oiche nollaig as wel! ...

stories.. dno was thinkin lig sin i gcathu.. ya it was up the las 3 yrs but its always really badley answered on so thats why it prob keeps coming up..!
    also doing clare sa speir and done a bit of cearrbhach nd fiche blian ag fas..

way more prepared this time round then i was last yr!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

did yere teachers say anythin about cathal o searsaigh been avoided becoz all the shiz in the news?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

he's not been avoided.. theres loads of his poems on the new course...:eek:

Advertisement