Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Banking Qs.....

Options
  • 26-05-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I'm a student entering my final year (but possibly going further) and have a part time job. I have a 3rd level Bank of Ireland account. Anyway, I have a few questions...

1. I want to get a credit card. Does anybody recommend one? I only plan on occasional use such as online shopping. I'm looking more towards BOI credit cards obviously.

2. What are charges generally like on a credit card? For example how much can I expect to pay extra on a 100 euro purchase? And how do I "pay a credit card off"? (Sounds stupid I know)

3. I recently got a Laser card and a peculiarity (like my years old ATM card) is that instead of where a person's name usually is, mine has my account number (yes real primary 1). I know why the old ATM card had it (opened account back in school and given immediate card). But is this a security issue?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Rosstopher wrote: »
    I'm a student entering my final year (but possibly going further) and have a part time job. I have a 3rd level Bank of Ireland account. Anyway, I have a few questions...

1. I want to get a credit card. Does anybody recommend one? I only plan on occasional use such as online shopping. I'm looking more towards BOI credit cards obviously.

It really depends - BOI may be the only one that'll offer you a card seem as you're not in full time employment yet.
    2. What are charges generally like on a credit card? For example how much can I expect to pay extra on a 100 euro purchase? And how do I "pay a credit card off"? (Sounds stupid I know)

It varies - if you pay off the balance, when you receive the statement you won't incur any charges normally. Most cards will offer you an interest free period of purchases. If you haven't paid it off by the end of that period, then you'll start clocking up interest on the outstanding amount.

You pay off the card when you receive your statement - there are various options depending on the card you have: from paying in the post office, to doing it through online banking, or setting up a direct debit.
    3. I recently got a Laser card and a peculiarity (like my years old ATM card) is that instead of where a person's name usually is, mine has my account number (yes real primary 1). I know why the old ATM card had it (opened account back in school and given immediate card). But is this a security issue?

Any help would be great.

No, not a security issue. Does it have your name on it also?

Many card issuers have account numbers and sort codes, sort codes, or account numbers printed on the front of debit cards - it's not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It really depends - BOI may be the only one that'll offer you a card seem as you're not in full time employment yet.

It varies - if you pay off the balance, when you receive the statement you won't incur any charges normally. Most cards will offer you an interest free period of purchases. If you haven't paid it off by the end of that period, then you'll start clocking up interest on the outstanding amount.

You pay off the card when you receive your statement - there are various options depending on the card you have: from paying in the post office, to doing it through online banking, or setting up a direct debit.

No, not a security issue. Does it have your name on it also?

Many card issuers have account numbers and sort codes, sort codes, or account numbers printed on the front of debit cards - it's not uncommon.

Thanks.

No the card doesn't have my name on it. I thought it may be an issue if someone got hold of it as they would have all my numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not really: thousands and thousands of cheques and letters go out everyday with sort codes and account numbers printed on them.

I'm surprised it doesn't have your name on it. I'd go to the branch and get it sorted, it probably means your name wasn't correctly input into the system where the card printing pulls the details from :)

Advertisement