Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Sullivans Cascade - Killarney C&C

• 26-05-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

I don't post here often, but enjoy browsing through the photos.
    While looking at some old photos, I can across this one, taken in Killarney a few years back.
    1 sec exposure. Canon A80 on a tripod.

sullivanscascadekillarn.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

It is nice but well, very conventional.

I do think the colour of the leaf structures (top third of image) are a bit unnatural - did you alter the colour in post processing or is that what the camera gave you. Infact there is quite a bit of what i'd describe as "turquoise" hue to the image - not sure if I like that aspect of it. But having said that, if you like it yourself then that is all that matters.

The one second exposure has given that nice flowing water effect. The framing of it is quite good too - with the ferns bottom right.

I'm not sure how you'd vastly improve it. It is what it is. It is a nicely framed image with reasonable exposure value.

I'd like you to consider a black and white with a medium high contrast to it (i like everything like this :D so accept that you mightn't).

In terms of crop, I think given I don't like the top third, I personally would crop way tighter, losing a top 1/4 of the image / maintaining the aspect ratio or maybe trying a 4:3 on it. Also taking a little off the fern - bottom right. Play around with it - while you may not like what i've suggested here I do think you can work more out of the image by simplifying the composition through a tighter crop.

Overall, I would say it is quite nice but nothing out of the ordinary. While it's the kinda shot that has been done a million times before, I think its the kinda shot that everyone needs should do at some stage and marks a stage of progression in your photographic journey.

Hope the above is useful to you or if not, well it always is another opinion (and just that - an opinion, so you should only take from it whatever makes sense to you ;))

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Thanks for the critique AnCatDubh.
    Believe it of not, but thay are the colours straight out of the camera. I think I bumped up the exposure a notch, but no colour processing.
    Like the idea of black & white, I'll try that.

I'm using the full size of this as my desktop background at the moment. I'm really happy with the way the water turned out.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Very nice shot, you could warm the colours up a bit but still excellent shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Borderfox wrote: »
    Very nice shot, you could warm the colours up a bit but still excellent shot.

Totally agree. Its a grand shot but i think it would be improved if you warm the colors a bit. It just looks very cold and blue. other than that its a grand shot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement