Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy neighbours

Options
  • 26-05-2010 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

The road i live in only has one or two council houses, the rest are privately owned. Next door to us we used to have an old lady who rented, but in the last few years we've had a family of 6 or 7 (with extended family members visiting on a regular basis) and the noise is beginning to get to me.

Our house is worth around £480,000-500,000, we've invested a lot into it, have lived here for 24 years and i don't see why our lives should be made a misery (okay slight exaggeration but you get the drift).

Our neighbours are constantly outside, especially during the day, meaning if you want to have your window open you're going to have to listen to their banal chatter, shouting and music playing. If you're in the back garden you can't relax because they're often out their making a noise as well. And i'm not talking about kids playing, most of their kids are grown up and think nothing of swearing at each other outside.

We used to hear quite a bit of arguing through the walls but since the dad has left that seems to have calmed down.

Basically, we're not sure what to do. They're okay and say hello to us when we walk past but at the same time they don't seem to respect the fact that this is generally a quite street and it's not so quiet now they're pouring out into their front garden every day.

Any advice?

Do we have any rights given that this is a council house? They're built a roof extension, most likely without planning permission, but to be honest we don't really care what they do as long as they keep quiet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Really not a state benefits issue. Moving thread to accomodation and property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

You would be best contacting the county council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Anna19851 wrote: »
    The road i live in only has one or two council houses, the rest are privately owned. Next door to us we used to have an old lady who rented, but in the last few years we've had a family of 6 or 7 (with extended family members visiting on a regular basis) and the noise is beginning to get to me.

Our house is worth around £480,000-500,000, we've invested a lot into it, have lived here for 24 years and i don't see why our lives should be made a misery (okay slight exaggeration but you get the drift).

Our neighbours are constantly outside, especially during the day, meaning if you want to have your window open you're going to have to listen to their banal chatter, shouting and music playing. If you're in the back garden you can't relax because they're often out their making a noise as well. And i'm not talking about kids playing, most of their kids are grown up and think nothing of swearing at each other outside.

We used to hear quite a bit of arguing through the walls but since the dad has left that seems to have calmed down.

Basically, we're not sure what to do. They're okay and say hello to us when we walk past but at the same time they don't seem to respect the fact that this is generally a quite street and it's not so quiet now they're pouring out into their front garden every day.

Any advice?

Do we have any rights given that this is a council house? They're built a roof extension, most likely without planning permission, but to be honest we don't really care what they do as long as they keep quiet!

We are we are living in the same type area to be honest. There has been a sudden influx of 'career single moms' who got pregnant and get the council flat as a pinnacle of their lives. Also another family have 'settled' very close by as well.

They are not scum by any means but they are agressive and loud and definately have a certain way of life. I'm a mature college graduate with children and want a better future for myself and my kids.

Their kids initially for some reason found it fit to call me names and shout at me in general because of some percieved difference that they had of me. I was friendly towards them at first but this only seemed to offer them a right to be more abusive once they seemed to realise that I was a 'college boy'.

More and more I find myself despising them and their lifestyle choice. Equally I'm sure they see me as different as well.

After extensive research on what I could do about this situation I am sad to say that the only option I have is to move out of the area because of the way they are. Health wise and socially wise I would be much better off as the law is no help at all.

I talked to a council housing representative about this type of issue and he informed me that the council tend to move trouble families and folks into quieter areas to dilute the issue for them i.e. the council. This gives the lazy council operatives less hassle.

Shocking behaviour by the council ops as they, I'm sure would choose to not live next to the troubled folks.

Anyway I'm sorry OP, from what I have seen the best option is a move away from them. I listen to swearing and threats and white vested idiots and door hanging single Moms with ciggies hanging out of mouths shouting profound threats at their kids on a daily basis. There is no law against this type of behaviour.

My immediate choice is to leave the area and find a nicer place to live my life in a more progressive better way for myself and my kids.

Advertisement