Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the engine number the same as a chassis number?

• 26-05-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,
    I need to find my engine number in order to get a part for my car but what is it? And where is it?

I have a VW Passat and i think i can find the Chassis/VIN number, if indeed the chassis no. IS the VIN number, on a plate under the bonnet.

But if the Engine number is a different thing all together then, what does it look like and where would it be?

The engine is completely covered with a plastic cover and that has no obvious markings on it.

HELP PLEASE

Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You might only need the engine code to order the parts. This is a 3 or 4 letter code which is found in many places including on a barcode sticker around the engine bay or the white sticker that is found in the boot near the spare wheel typically. The engine number itself would be stamped onto the engine block and might be hard to find. You could get it from your registration cert though or alternatively give you reg to a vw dealer & they would tell you the engine number if you were to price the parts at them.
    The engine number is a different number to the VIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

The VIN is stamped on the bulkhead its the PLATE you can see when you open the bonnet at the bottom of the windscreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

often the engine number is incorporated in the VIN number, so that would probably do the job if you are sure its the original engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

The Engine number on a Passat will be three letters followed by a few digits, like BKD004778. The number is stamped into the side of the block, near the join with the cylinder head. However, it's a pain to find/read on most modern cars, so:

On a Passat (or any other VAG car), look in the boot for the production sticker with will give the engine code (you won't need the exact engine number to order parts).

Here's a sample image from the web:

Build_Sticker_Sample_MM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

robdunne wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need to find my engine number in order to get a part for my car but what is it? And where is it?

I have a VW Passat and i think i can find the Chassis/VIN number, if indeed the chassis no. IS the VIN number, on a plate under the bonnet.

But if the Engine number is a different thing all together then, what does it look like and where would it be?

The engine is completely covered with a plastic cover and that has no obvious markings on it.

HELP PLEASE

Robbie

It's all on your vehicle licencing cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

you should only need the chassis number to order parts thats all i ever need,

on mi car the chasis number is on a small plate over one of the front lights. but also printed into the frame under the front window in the engine compartment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

HI Robbie,

If you'd like to PM me the reg I'll look up the engine number for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 MARIA O

HI ROB,

WHAT YEAR IS YOUR PASSAT IS IT PETROL OR DIESEL AND WHAT PART ARE YOU LOOKING FOR.

Advertisement