Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.......from the Northside

Options
  • 26-05-2010 5:30pm

Why when asked where you're from do so many people say "I'm from the Northside" ? When asked where I'm from I always say The Lough unless someone asks me who is not familiar with Cork then I'd say from Cork City. I'd never say I'm from the Southside.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Because we are proud to be from the Northside, bai!!;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oops, somewhat misread the post!

I can't say I've heard too many people say they're "from the northside". They usually name the area.

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Because we are proud to be from the Northside, bai!!;)

mmmm, no doubt, just think it's a tad weird, new lad at work today one of the girls was asking him does he have long to commute. He was very specific about where he lived, then he says "I'm originally from the Northside". Northside is rather vague to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I would have rarely said the southside myself, always just said Turners Cross, but since iv moved to Glanmire, whenever im around the general Northside area and someone asks me where im from, and id tell them TC, they would have to throw in a cheeky comment about being from the Southside.

Jealousy is a horrid thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Can't say i've come across many people who when i ask them where they're from, reply with 'the Northside'. Usually the ones that do are scobey types. Most normal folk just say what area of the city they're from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

grenache wrote: »
    Can't say i've come across many people who when i ask them where they're from, reply with 'the Northside'. Usually the ones that do are scobey types. Most normal folk just say what area of the city they're from.

Ya but how many of them actually live up there? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Do Northsiders need to be asked? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

RoverJames wrote: »
    Why when asked where you're from do so many people say "I'm from the Northside" ? When asked where I'm from I always say The Lough unless someone asks me who is not familiar with Cork then I'd say from Cork City. I'd never say I'm from the Southside.

:confused:

Don't know really - if I was from the Northside I wouldnt tell anyone. Well obviously I'd need to tell my parole officer, and the local garda station would also know. But apart from them I wouldnt tell anyone. Ha Ha :D:D

I rescued my wife from the Northside a good few years ago now (I mentioned the hands accross the river programme in previous posts!!) and she still bangs on about being from the north side. If it wasn't for the "looking after a nory" allowance I was getting I wouldnt bother.:D:D

Jokes are fine but I want to be clear, I am genuinely wondering, I don't want this in any way to be seen as a bashing the North Side thread :) 'tis something that I often notice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

There are cork people and Norries.
    Now the majority from the Northside are cork people.

But to paraphrase Chris Rock

"Norries have got to go!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

In fairness, alot of people from the northside will say they are from the northside, they won't give specific area's because they don't seem to think us civilised southsiders, would know it.

One of my best friends is from Gurrahn, he will always say the northside unless asked by another northsider.

Me, I say where I am from, Mahon, not my geographical point. Of course that gets some "I thought you'd be a scumbag" responces...and I promptly stab them in the face! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

...and I promptly stab them in the face! :D

did you descend from Limerick by any chance?:p

In fairness, alot of people from the northside will say they are from the northside, they won't give specific area's .................
    One of my best friends is from Gurrahn, he will always say the northside unless asked by another northsider.

Exactly what I have experienced, I find it well weird to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

It's a pre-emptive excuse for doing something wackerish

corkcomp wrote: »
    did you descend from Limerick by any chance?:p
    on a related note, when people ask me where i'm from, i can't say Limerick any more, as for some reason they always assume i mean the City (i'm from the county) and cue the usual knife/scumbag jibes. It get on my gander that the activities of a few knackers in the city has blackened the whole place.

So now i just say West Limerick, and i get no bad reaction, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Newcastlewest by any chance - A fairly rough spot it is indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robbeardsley

I generally give my parish, rather than just saying the northside. Should the person bot know where it is then that's usually when I mention the northside

I generally give my parish, rather than just saying the northside. Should the person bot know where it is then that's usually when I mention the northside

That's what I'd consider normal, loads of folk just say the Northside.

straight wrote: »
    Newcastlewest by any chance - A fairly rough spot it is indeed!
    No, further along the N21 towards Limerick, near Adare.

Its not as bad as the city but there's no denying that Newcastle has a few bad eggs living in it alright. From previous experience i wouldn't go walking about the Square on a Saturday night.

Advertisement