Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL English P1

Options
  • 26-05-2010 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi does anybody know any english essay that can be kind of worked into most titles or anyone willing to give an essay :rolleyes:
    Or does anyone have any ideas on the theme that might arise this year? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Um... their are alot of things wrong with your post. You can't 'worl' essays in... Not in paper one... Paper one is testing your skills as a writer... Writing something learnt off will do you no justice, IMO. You will have to keep in touch with what you already know in you lr other subjects... Like say if an essay on global warming comes up you could bring stuff you know in geography into that... I'm sure one year there was ' after the war...' if you do history and love history that essay is a goldmine!

However, you can definitely get alot of ideas from a very simple method: Reading! I read a book the night before my exam and a certain chapter really hit me. I got a good essay title that fit in with that story and wrote a similar story with my own take on it... But tbh this really only works for short stories.

Personally I'm an avid reader. Just read! Watch the news! Pick up a faceup magazine! ( I think that's what they are called...) now those are good reads. Listen to the radio...this is basically tge technique I follow. I think doing HL English you are expected to be a reader... Alot of people unfortunately never read! I hope you do though :)

as for themes.... Anything! Feminism might saw it on the boards in some thread. Worldly themes tend to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

fufureida wrote: »
    Um... their are alot of things wrong with your post. You can't 'worl' essays in... Not in paper one... Paper one is testing

Hahahah.

Good luck on the exam, chum -- You're gonna need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

fufureida wrote: »
    Um... their are alot of things wrong with your post. You can't 'worl' essays in...
    Hahahah.

No need for that now.

Anyway, what *most* people do for this (or atleast what I plan on doing), is over the course of the year writing numerous essays and getting my English teacher to correct them. Pick out the best and most malleable essays, fix them up to an A1 standard, and hope that I can twist them on the day. That way you've a unique yet good essay.

Obviously, in your case, it's a bit late for that. Try talking to older friends you have who have done the LC and done well in English. Try and get their essays. It's a bad idea to get one off somebody in your class, because if ye both put down the same essay on the day, there could be raised eyebrows.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Be careful about working in essays into unrelated titles - they are very wary of learnt off essays and therefore if the essay isn't related enough to the title then they'll penalise you.

Hahahah.

What's that's suppose to mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I assume he means that your naieve to think of not writing out an essay beforehand.

I'm not writing any essays out though, I think it's stupid, usually fairly obvious as the questions do be more abstract and your answer isn't answering the question

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Crow92 wrote: »
    I assume he means that your naieve to think of not writing out an essay beforehand.

I'm not writing any essays out though, I think it's stupid, usually fairly obvious as the questions do be more abstract and your answer isn't answering the question

No, he was making fun of fufureida because in giving tips about paper 1 he/she made numerous grammatical and spelling mistakes. I'm just clarifying :p

Well tbh I don't care about grammatical mistakes on the Internet. Especially seein I'm on a phone. :/

Advertisement