Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet Mayo??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Go for normal mayo rather than light/diet mayo-there's not that much difference in calories and the normal mayo tastes better! (just go sparingly!)

I use Marie Rose/Cocktail sauce and there's less calories in that than mayo i think (could be wrong though!) I like the tangy taste better than normal mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fluxter

which diet mayo contains the least amount of fat??confused.gif

Hellmans, heinz...lild, aldi, dunnes??

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I am currently using my diet mayo dictionary to find out for you :P:P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Read the labels and compare. But once you get into very low fat amounts, it's not really mayonnaise any more. They made the diet stuff by replacing the oil and egg with gum and modified starch and gelling agent and strange chemicals.

For what it's worth, I think you could make a good low fat substitute with greek yogurt and some mustard or tabasco and seasoning to add a kick.

• Advertisement

well its to have with tuna....as need to cover up taste.

so how much greek yoghurt? is it musart poweder/dijon? how much again?

wasn't some brand doing a youghurt based mayo for a while...what happened to that??

we should go into Mayo market :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

fluxter wrote: »
    which diet mayo contains the least amount of fat??confused.gif

Hellmans, heinz...lild, aldi, dunnes??

thanks

it depends on the brand, now you can get extra light mayo which has very few calories and is low in fat.. take a walk through tesco or dunnes and look at the labels is the easiest..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

which diet mayo contains the least amount of fat??:confused:

thanks

Ask the mods to move your thread to diet and nutrition. Personally I dont think you should use any 'diet' products at all. If you like Mayo use the real stuff but use it sparingly, and as a treat.

Diet products have less calories - true, but to reduce the calorie count in the products, an awful lot of artificial ingredients are used. They have to put something into the mayo to give it the same colour and flavour, but they cant use natural ingredients so alot of the extra filler while low in fat and low in calories, may not be doing your body much good.

Im not a dietician nor a nutritionist, but as I said before I would avoid diet products, stick to good quality, natural products, and avoid the ones richer in calories when you can. I just looked online(Not having any mayo to hand) and found 1 tablespoon of real Mayo has about 100 calories, Light Mayo about 50 and fat free about 10 calories. So I would rather do an extra bit of exercise that burnt 90 calories and have the real stuff, then to have the fat-free/light stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You should be asking that question in the Diet and Nutrition forum not in the food diary forum, sorry!
    Moved & merged.

You can just check the labels, they will have per 100g details on the back, they have really light ones these days. I would agree not to bother with it much though, I would go with hummus or cottage cheese instead if you want low calories. Fat is also very important to have in your diet.
    well its to have with tuna....as need to cover up taste.
    Curry sauces are good at masking taste, there are plenty of hot tomato based ones which are low in calories/fat.

ok thanks for replies.....

think I will start making my own mayo.....now...at least I know whats in it...oh how long will it last in fridge I wonder.

Oh UL person...what on earth is a Mayo Dictionary??

• Advertisement
Advertisement