Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Meat!

Options
  • 26-05-2010 6:09pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭

I went to the butchers today to collect some beef fat I ordered so I could render my own tallow. It was completely free and when I got it home there was so much scrap meat attached to the fat! Definitely enough for a small stew. Few vegetables from the greengrocer and you have a healthy meal for under €2!

Just thought I'd share the tip, I'm a great woman for a bargain and you can't get cheaper than free!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Excellent tip - thanks.
    Can you tell me, what is tallow, how do you make it and what do you use it for?!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Tallow is rendered beef fat, just pop scraps of beef fat in a slow cooker set to low (or on a very low heat on a cooker) for 3hrs, the smell as it renders is sublime. Strain through a metal strainer lined with a coffee filter or cheesecloth.

It's just cooking fat, it's exceptionally stable and bloody delicious! Goose fat has nothing on roasties cooked in tallow.

McDonalds used to cook all their fries in tallow in the 70's, until government pressure made them switch to hydrogenated vegetable oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Clever you! Definately gonna five this a go soon.

Advertisement