Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vibrating car engine problem

• 26-05-2010 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a 97 Peugeot 406 1.9tdi.

Just noticed lately that the engine is kind of vibrating or running erratically when the car is idle like at traffic lights or stuck in traffic. The vibration is kind of on/off really quickly, it feels like the engine is struggling for something. The rev counter also seems to hop a small bit.

Other than this the car seems to run fine once i'm on the open road.

Before I get it checked out, any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

2 things i can think of off the top of my head be, Fuel filter, electrial problem. I had this problem before no vibration but felt like it was going to cut out on me, it was a mixture of both with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Hey Rochey, how did the fuel filter cause a problem because I recently changed the oil in the car along with the fuel filter. I had to bleed air out of the fuel system and it seemed to be ok after but i'm just wondering could it have anything to do with this?

I take it that this problem would have nothing to do with the timing belt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

It does sound like its fuel related...Is putting out alot more smoke than usual...??
    It could be related to the timing belt if the timing was off alittle...Had you the t/belt replaced lately...??
    Maybe pop in another diesel filter as there fairly cheap and easy to fit
    and try an injector cleaner and see it that helps.
    There usually a trouble free engine...:)..Running a 406 td myself with 214,000mls and its driving like new.
    What mileage is on the car..??

Hey Row, I wouldn't say it's throwing out that much smoke really, just the odd morning when I start it up.

Well I bought it a few months ago and appartently the timing belt was done at about 103,000mls but I don't have any official documents on that so it's always kind of bothered me a bit.

There's 110,000 on it now which is nothing for diesel car that age and it's running smooth only for this problem. I'm just trying to suss out if it's going to develop into something major further down the road, pardon the pun.

Good idea, I might give an injector a shot and stick a new filter in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I would have said gunked up MAF (and/or air filter) or intake system leak myself. If fueling (doubt it) then either injector or fuel pump (or fuel pressure regulator).

Can you get the error codes read?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I would have said gunked up MAF (and/or air filter) or intake system leak myself. If fueling (doubt it) then either injector or fuel pump (or fuel pressure regulator).

Can you get the error codes read?

The idi td's have no maf sensor and all that can be picked up with a
    diagnostic check is rpm's..coolent temp..engine speed.
    There basic but the normally give very little trouble..:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I had a problem like this once on a totally different car. I didnt take much notice until one day, the cracked brake servo vacuum pipe that was causing the problem failed & I lost all brake boost nearly causing an accident.
    So get it checked as soon as ppossible

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭padunne

Hi All,

I had a similar problem with a xsara. Last year the coil pack went meaning it was lacking power and very jerky constantly but i doubt thats your problem.

Now timing belt snapped in jan and i had it replaced. No damage to valves as valve free and compression is 100%. I also have a very similar problem as the whole car shakes due to the engine at idling and in traffic. It also starts to shake badly at 70 - 80mph. Mechanic says timing is ok but i have my doubts as problem only happened after belt replaced. Other mechanics say injectors and some say timing.

I was told by another on this sight that the pulleys might have rotated on their shafts. Meaning timing looks right and pulley aligned right but it is i fact slightly out. I have not checked this yet but it seems like the most likely problem. This sounds similar to your story aswell so may help.

Anyway had the car looked at this morning by a mechanic.

He rekons to go with a fuel cleaner for the moment and see where I go from there.

He said it was unlikely the engine would completely shut down completely when running idle as it has 4 cylinders, if one goes then there are another 3 to keep things running.

Just knowing the bare mechanical basics myself i'll take his word on this problem for the moment.

Advertisement