Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Volunteering

• 26-05-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

Sorry if there has been a thread on this before. Im looking for something to volunteer for at the weekends.

Preferably in the mornings.

Ive tried volunteeringireland.ie and another website but I cant really seem to find things that are at the weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Have you considered helping out with a local sporting organisation? Sport volunteer thread or just find a local club you might be interested in helping out.
    Try contacting your local volunteer centre. details: Volunteer.ie
    Otherwise try contact organisations directly that do the type of activity that you would like to volunteer at and see if they can use your talents at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Down at the DSPCA in Rathfarnham we always need help. Dog walking always needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

theTinker wrote: »
    Down at the DSPCA in Rathfarnham we always need help. Dog walking always needed!

That sounds great, what kind of hours are asked? would weekends be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 iPac

There's always the Big Brother Big Sister Programme in which you would be matched with a young person with similar interests to yours. You are expected to spend a min of 1hr per week with the young person for a year and be their mentor. I have been volunteering with the programme for almost a year now and it has been the most rewarding voluntary work I have ever done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I just checked it out, and it says you have to volunteer for a year minimum. I only really have the summer to volunteer for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 iPac

That's a pity, it's an excellent programme. How about doing some voluntary care work with the elderly in your community. There are numerous agencies which operate nationwide who would be delighted to have you lend a hand e.g Carelocal.

Then there is your local SPCA where you could walk, feed, play with and care for homeless pets and other animals.

The type of voluntary work you do depends on your own particular interests my advice would be to think of what you enjoy doing then try to find voluntary work which involves these interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Have you heard of http://www.activelink.ie/

It is a website with lots of charities and non profit organisations looking for volunteers, etc. You might like to check it out.

I've given this to another poster too who is looking to volunteer.

Advertisement