Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No NCT = no insurance

• 26-05-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Went to pick up my new car today. Done the deal, signed the paperwork and swapped keys. Before I headed off I rang Quinn to transfer my policy over, only to be told that they won't cover the car as it has no NCT. The car is a 2004 Jap import which has never been NCT'd. Luckily I caught the sales guy just as he was heading home, had to leave the car with them and take my old one back, he said he will get onto the NCT tomorrow and try get a cancellation.
    First time I've ever heard of this happening.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

As if Quinn Direct can afford to be fussy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

FearDark wrote: »
    As if Quinn Direct can afford to be fussy...

Thats what I thought, I'm just glad I'm not stuck with a new car and no insurance for the night, that would be scary, think I'd have to sleep in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Fair enough I suppose. Always thought it should be a condition of cover

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

furtzy wrote: »
    Fair enough I suppose. Always thought it should be a condition of cover
    Why? :confused:

Why? :confused:

why not....disagree with it or not its the states roadworthiness test so it makes sense for an insurance company to require it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its been in the policy documents for years

"12 e make sure the vehicle is kept in a roadworthy condition and, if necessary, has a valid NCT certificate"

Thats off my 2007 (I think, its buried that deep in the pile of Quinn stuff I'm about to shred) policy.

I would understand if it was an Irish car with an expired NCT, but an import that hasn't been on the road yet, what if I buy a car in UK my self, how do I sort out the NCT if I have no insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

dylbert wrote: »
    what if I buy a car in UK my self, how do I sort out the NCT if I have no insurance?

Well, if you were to buy a car in the UK it MUST have a valid MoT on it before it would be allowed on the road there! There is not "It will be grand" there. So if you were to drive the car home to Ireland it would at least have a MoT. If it is more that 4 years old then it is due to be NCT'd once it arrives in Ireland.

IMO you can't really blame an insurance company for refusing to insure a car that as far as they are concerned could be a death trap!

On the other side of things — can car dealers sell cars that do not have an NCT to the public?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I recently bought a car with an expired NCT. I rang my insurers, Quinn Direct, who transferred cover temporarily from my present car,no questions asked. And they didn't charge me anything for the pleasure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

atlantean wrote: »
    Well, if you were to buy a car in the UK it MUST have a valid MoT on it before it would be allowed on the road there! There is not "It will be grand" there. So if you were to drive the car home to Ireland it would at least have a MoT. If it is more that 4 years old then it is due to be NCT'd once it arrives in Ireland.
    Eh the MOT is a total sham. Any car can get an MOT from the friendly local garage. Every car Ive imported had an MOT and all if them bar one failed the NCT first time round.

They dont have "it will be grand" alright, they just sell you an MOT instead. Do you think thats better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

sogood wrote: »
    I recently bought a car with an expired NCT. I rang my insurers, Quinn Direct, who transferred cover temporarily from my present car,no questions asked. And they didn't charge me anything for the pleasure!

Hay there,
    the no questions asked part is the messy bit. Its up to you to have all the "paperwork" in order.

Dont have a licence - not insured.
    Have a prov. licence but no full licence driver with you - not insured.
    No NCT - not insured.
    Using it for work - not insured.
    Using it to get your friends away from a bank job in a hurry - not insured...

The guards did some research a few years ago. They reckoned there was a huge % of driver not properly covered in case of an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

IMHO, I wouldn't buy a car without an NCT. If it failes, it's possible that it can be very costly to get it fixed and you're already spending money on a car you just bought. At least, if it's NCT'd, you know that it's in pretty good nick. Just my 2 cents

ogriofa wrote: »
    Hay there,
    the no questions asked part is the messy bit. Its up to you to have all the "paperwork" in order.

Dont have a licence - not insured.
    Have a prov. licence but no full licence driver with you - not insured.
    No NCT - not insured.
    Using it for work - not insured.
    Using it to get your friends away from a bank job in a hurry - not insured...

The guards did some research a few years ago. They reckoned there was a huge % of driver not properly covered in case of an accident.

First bolded one doesn't matter on Quinn. You're insured irrespective of having a fully licenced driver or not. This may vary with other insurers...

Second bolded one depends entirely on *how* you're using it for work. The general question asked is about carrying goods for sale. Otherwise, its covered under the "domestic" bit of "social, domestic and pleasure" usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

atlantean wrote: »
    Well, if you were to buy a car in the UK it MUST have a valid MoT on it before it would be allowed on the road there! There is not "It will be grand" there. So if you were to drive the car home to Ireland it would at least have a MoT.

Similarly, a used car newly imported from Japan should have a valid Shaken certificate, although it doesn't really need to be on the road there for it to get here (e.g. if it's a complete shed, stolen, etc.).

Thinking about it now I see Quinns point. I could have drove away thinking I was covered, had an acedent only to be told by Quinn that my insurance was not valid. I'd say there are alot of people who dont realize they have no insurance for one reason or another.
    It was just a pain yesterday when I couldn't bring my new car home.

Similarly, a used car newly imported from Japan should have a valid Shaken certificate, although it doesn't really need to be on the road there for it to get here (e.g. if it's a complete shed, stolen, etc.).

Historically at least most cars imported here from Japan had failed their Shaken. The NCT might have changed that, I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Try this for size..

In the Tax office in Mullingar they used to always ask for your NCT cert before issuing a Tax Disc.

No valid NCT cert meant NO Tax Disc.

Then the Sh1t hit the fan a few years ago and they blatantly denied that this ever went on!

I was asked EVERY time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Nothing wrong with that to be honest. If it ain't roadworthy it shouldn't be on the road so needn't be taxed. May as well get done for driving with no tax whilst with no nct cert. It's been done to death that you can get a cancellation if you really try for 1.

Every day just ring or check online for a cancellation spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Yawns wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that to be honest. If it ain't roadworthy it shouldn't be on the road so needn't be taxed. May as well get done for driving with no tax whilst with no nct cert. It's been done to death that you can get a cancellation if you really try for 1.

Every day just ring or check online for a cancellation spot.

Maybe now,but at the time when the whole NCT thing was kicking off there were SERIOUS backlogs here(you waited for them).
    Also just because a car has no NCT cert does NOT mean that its not roadworthy!!!!

Iomega Man wrote: »
    Maybe now,but at the time when the whole NCT thing was kicking off there were SERIOUS backlogs here(you waited for them).
    Also just because a car has no NCT cert does NOT mean that its not roadworthy!!!!

In the eyes of the law it needs an NCT to be on the road.

Don't see what all the fuss is about the NCT. I've put 2 cars through with no hasles. Prompt efficient service and good value

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

In the eyes of the state it does I'm afraid. Ok when it was introduced I could understand anger etc but these days it can and should be the norm. Even tho these days I am aware that an NCT pass does not mean the car is totally safe and roadworthy but it's better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Don't see what all the fuss is about the NCT. I've put 2 cars through with no hasles. Prompt efficient service and good value

I've put several cars through without problems, but just lately I tried to book online, and the tool show no available slots. At all.

Rang up, and they said "August 30th", more than 3 months out.

Something has gone badly wrong this year.

I've put several cars through without problems, but just lately I tried to book online, and the tool show no available slots. At all.

Rang up, and they said "August 30th", more than 3 months out.

Something has gone badly wrong this year.

The fact that its now a mandatory court appearance and up to 5 points on your licence is what happened...blame the delays on all the people suddenly realising that they'd better get one

Have one coming up again in a couple of months....The Dublin ones are heaviliy booked out so I'll head down to monaghan to get it done. No delays there. Might be worth looking at other centres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

In the eyes of the law it needs an NCT to be on the road.
    or just a booking number;)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

I have also had this problem with Quinn Direct. Bought the car in the north, vrt is paid and tax also. I have also faxed the reg cert to the nct office and she said it would be three-five working days till they update my car on their database and then i can book a test. After all this I cant insure the feckin car. Looks like a car trailer is the only option to get my car to the nct centre. Thats gonna be costly considering its a forty-five minute drive.

Advertisement