Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job may be in jeopardy already

• 26-05-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i really need help here and some good opinions.

i started in a job 2 wks ago and i have actually worked there before but took it off my CV as the experience was lame and it was only for a few months. basically it looked messy on the cv so i just changed dates for another job on my cv.

so i was out of work and needed a job badly so i applied to this same company but its a different dept. it was 6 years ago so the few people who were there at that time don't remember me and i've no dealings with them.

BUT a girl i went to school with still works there and i'm defo gonna have dealings with her and she could defo mention that i worked there before to my manager.

so what do i do? i don't fancy coming clean cos i'll look like an idiot and i can't tell that girl to pls keep quiet cos shes a wagon and has a big mouth.

i was thinking if it did come out then maybe i could say i was working in the other company that i have on my cv for that period as well(the job in my current company was part time all those years ago so its plausible i think) so basically i was working in 2 jobs but looked messy on the cv and not great for prospective employers.

any advice would be great. i'm afraid i'll be in big trouble if/when it gets out.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Say you lost your old diaries and you forgot about having the part time job at that company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I wouldnt lie, you never forget the places you worked tbf so that would look dodgy.
    Id just leave it be and if it comes out no biggie, just tell them the truth that you didnt think your experience was worthy enough of mentioning.
    I dont know how big it is, but if its a big enough company your boss aint gonna care anyway. Its more of a HR issue, but they wont care either as as far as they see it, they'll have done their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭skooterblue

I was just going to say something similar. keep your head down and keep this girl sweet. In a few years when you can stand on your own two feet if it comes out then whats the harm. They won't risk losing a valued trained employee. For now be cool. Remember in any industry jobs are hard to come by.
    Hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

if confronted tell them it wasn't significant to put on your cv since it was only for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 older smiley

Tell them that the C.V was tailored to them and that as they knew you worked there during those dates you only mentioned the other part time job on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

Did you leave on bad terms from the company before? If not, I wouldn't really worry about it. People get in trouble for falsifying experience on a cv, not for leaving stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

if it's exactly as you say then i wouldn't worry about it....if you're doing the job you've been hired to do well, it's in no ones interest to challenge you on details. if however you left on bad terms, left without notice or something similiar...you may have a problem, but your manager would want to have a lot of time on his/her hands to start digging into what would probably be a flippant comment made by this girl you know about working there before. and i assume she knows nothing about your interview, c.v details so she wouldn't have reason to think your manager didn't know you worked there previously albeit in a different sector so why would she bother.
    i'd say your worrying about nothing.....and you've been there 2 weeks now......you're yesterdays canteen gossip at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

wylo wrote: »
    I dont know how big it is, but if its a big enough company your boss aint gonna care anyway. Its more of a HR issue, but they wont care either as as far as they see it, they'll have done their job.

It's a very big company and my manager seems very cool so I don't think he'd make a big deal of it and HR got great refs for me before I set foot in the door.
    Tell them that the C.V was tailored to them and that as they knew you worked there during those dates you only mentioned the other part time job on it.

thats a great idea !!
    cafecolour wrote: »
    Did you leave on bad terms from the company before? If not, I wouldn't really worry about it. People get in trouble for falsifying experience on a cv, not for leaving stuff out.

didn't leave on bad terms at all but wasn't exactly fab at the job as it wasn't in my field but i really doubt my old manager remembers details from years ago about a temp!
    i assume she knows nothing about your interview, c.v details so she wouldn't have reason to think your manager didn't know you worked there previously albeit in a different sector so why would she bother.
    i'd say your worrying about nothing.....and you've been there 2 weeks now......you're yesterdays canteen gossip at this stage.

that girl has no idea whats on my cv or what I omitted so i'm hoping it won't come up.

i just freaked when i saw the girls name on an email today. but i'm thinking now that as long as i don't make a big deal of it then hopefully no one else will !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

Listen don't worry about it,i'm sure that girl thinks you mentioned it already and she thinks that everybody knows so she does'nt even think of it.if it does get back to you say ah yeah sure it's on my cv!If they say it's not say that you got your cv typed out from a company and they should have out it on it, thats the whole reason why you applied back to the company coz you had a good relationship with them years ago.i used to work in HR,honestly it's not a big issue don't be losing sleep over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Most people don't have "a" CV......they tailor the CV to highlight different experience to target different jobs.

So if the experience wasn't relevant and was only for a few months (and you've said yourself it's a different dept) then that's your explanation.

It might seem a little odd, given that normally a stint at a company would work in your favour, but if it is queried you could always say that you didn't want to look like you were calling in any favours.

As others have said - as long as you didn't leave on bad terms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement