Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Notebook/Laptop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

fact now is
    every one of us are now earning less, barly coping getting by, and anything we saved in the good times we are going through to keep up with payments, these savings are drying up, so if i am now buying i will price the thing first, and get it at the lowest rate i can, as pretty soon for the majority in this country we will have nothing to fall back on, we have even started growing our own veg in the garden beds where flowers used to dwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Hey all. Don't want to start a new thread but I my very nice and decent laptop just died. I'd normally get it fixed but I'm writing my PhD and need a replacement asap (no time for fluffing around, worst time for it to die EVER).

The main issue is screen size for me. I need a laptop for writing and all else comes second. Any ideas (under 200e would be great or else I risk missing the rent).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

scopper wrote: »
    Hey all. Don't want to start a new thread but I my very nice and decent laptop just died. I'd normally get it fixed but I'm writing my PhD and need a replacement asap (no time for fluffing around, worst time for it to die EVER).

The main issue is screen size for me. I need a laptop for writing and all else comes second. Any ideas (under 200e would be great or else I risk missing the rent).

For that price you have two options.

1. Get a netbook. You'll be able to get a new one for in or around that price. The downside is that you'll have to compromise on the screen size.

Eg. http://www.adverts.ie/231226/laptops/compaq-mini-110c-1010sa-notebook-pc/

Or this

2. You buy an old-ish laptop which may or may not be in good working order, and may have questionable battery life etc.

As an example. Or this.

EDIT: I also meant to say that depending on what's wrong with your own computer, it may well be worth seeing if it can be fixed, as it would probably be cheaper and might take no more time that getting a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

scopper wrote: »

I know €200 is probably your limit but if at all possible and you can stretch to €247, this is what I picked up in Tecso;

http://www.emachines.co.uk/em/product.do?ctx1w.att21k=2&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&sp=page7l&link=ln40l&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&ctx1l.c2att1=17&kcond4l.c2att101=58368&CRC=333054929

Screen size seems to be an issue for you and the 14.1" on this will be much easier on the eyes than any Netbooks. Plus its brand new with a warranty.

Otherwise try Adverts.ie or eBay- plenty of decent refurbs out there from reputable sellers.

beardo81 wrote: »
    I know €200 is probably your limit but if at all possible and you can stretch to €247, this is what I picked up in Tecso;

http://www.emachines.co.uk/em/product.do?ctx1w.att21k=2&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&sp=page7l&link=ln40l&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&ctx1l.c2att1=17&kcond4l.c2att101=58368&CRC=333054929

Screen size seems to be an issue for you and the 14.1" on this will be much easier on the eyes than any Netbooks. Plus its brand new with a warranty.

Otherwise try Adverts.ie or eBay- plenty of decent refurbs out there from reputable sellers.
    can one do rental, say so much per month for a few months, to get him over this huge problem he is now experiencing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Thanks guys. Some of the adverts ones would be fine (I think 15 inches is a pretty decent size. Not sure what the average is but that sounds OK). Great advice form you all as usual! Really putting my mind at ease...was losing it yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

tesco one would be best if you could stretch your budget , considering it has a garentee and is new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

could anybody confirm if this emachines had a built in mic , i can see from the spec that it has a inbuilt webcam but it does not mention a mic ,

im presuming that it does , but i just want to double check b4 i advise someone to buy it.

cheers.

actually dont worry , ive just read some shocking reviews online regarding overheating and customer service , i'll have a look elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah wouldn't touch that emachines laptop. My 4 year old mid range dell is better spec'd than it! And that's no joke! And emachines have a terrible reputation. If it were me on that budget i'd look at second hand stuff or netbooks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

bought Samsung lapatop at half price in Tesco two years ago and never had a problem with it.;)

shawnee wrote: »
    bought Samsung lapatop at half price in Tesco two years ago and never had a problem with it.;)

id say they might be sold out now though !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

daftdave wrote: »
    actually dont worry , ive just read some shocking reviews online regarding overheating and customer service , i'll have a look elsewhere...
    i can confirm i never have a problem with over heating , those problems with laptops are user inflicted( ie when it get full of dust)
    i always get people giving me ther laptops to fix because of overheating , and usualy i just clean the dirt from it and its grand

also Alanstrainor you say about your 4 year old dell , but the emachine laptop is brand new for les than 250 with a years garentee,

i can confirm it does have a built in mic , but the webcam varieys per model

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If only Tesco brought back the Clubcard deals on the Laptops! ;)

here's the review i read for anyone that it interest's

http://devoracles.com/emachines-d620-a-review-and-deja-vu-12041016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

dude I could get you one for 80 euro on adverts
    beardo81 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Maybe i'm asking the impossible but one of the In-Laws has asked me to try and source a new or nearly new laptop for less than €250!!

Having looked around it seems only Netbooks available around this price or am I looking in the wrong places? Performance aint an issue, just needs a decent sized screen and wi-fi.

Thanks in advance :)

cable842 wrote: »
    dude I could get you one for 80 euro on adverts
    where on adverts can one get laptop for 80 euro

Advertisement