Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackboard 9 coming in July = No more backpack?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Bugger indeed. Oh well, back to DownThemAll!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Blackboard 9 allows individual saving of test answers so that's an improvement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Here to being pro-advancements in technology without realising their negative consequences.

YAR!!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

betafrog wrote: »
    Backpack was provided a separate company that has decided to stop producing it and focus on building their own alternative to Blackboard, hardly something IT Services can doing anything about.

In my opinion though, Blackboard is a waste of money, especially when something like moodle does a lot more for free.
    Yeah blackboard is useless. Takes about a 1000 years too load sometimes aswell. Thankfully most subjects I do use moodle.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

More importantly, blackboard is not web-standards compliant and has problems with browsers other than IE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

betafrog wrote: »
    Which courses are they if you don't mind me asking?
    For moodle I assume. Most of the comp sci subjects for second year (Data structures, Software eng, Digital Systems, Web Multimedia Think there was more but cant be bother to login to my moodle). Except the maths websites which used the lecturers own site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I emailed blackboard support to see if this was really the case given that post by agilix was a year old
    Unfortunately, this is true. Agilix have stopped development of Backpack, and it will no longer synchronise with UCD’s Blackboard system when we upgrade to version 9 in July. You will still be able to use Backpack to view files you downloaded previously though.

We’ve flagged this issue with Blackboard, and Agilix management, as we had received positive feedback from students on Backpack’s use. We anticipate that Blackboard will develop its own products in this area, but we don’t have any more details at this time. Once we have more information, we will post it to the UCD website.

Advertisement