Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line not working.

Options
  • 26-05-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hey clever boards people,
    My phone line went dead about 2 days ago, no dial tone. Before this the broadband was getting worse (high line attenuation about 55 i think ) then it stopped and the following day or two there was no dial tone.

Rang vodafone (several times) and they tested the line and they said that it was green and there was no fault on the line and they can't help any further. They said that it must be an internal fault in the wiring in the house and to call someone it... before I called some one out I had a look at the wires myself (photos included) rewired it because some of the copper wires where black in colour. Can anyone see something wrong with the wiring ?

Some more info:
    A neighbour of ours was cut off because someone cut a wire with a digger (I'm in the countryside) and was disconnected for a few days but now has the phone working .

There are some tree branches touching the wire outside our house but doesn't seem to be resting or interfering too much could this be the cause ?

What can I do ? would ringing eircom help , any suggestions ?

Edit:
    When I plug a phone that runs off the power from the line there is no power getting to the phone ... is this more likely to be a problem outside my home or inside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

The telephone company supplier is responsible for providing the line up to the test jack that is in your picture.
    With the outer socket removed (as you have done in the picture)
    you should get dial tone/50V DC from the pair coming in from the outside.

It was a good idea to clean the green copper oxidisation from the wires.

By the way - the pair of wires going to your router upstairs are set incorrectly.
    You should use a pair of one colour like Blue/white AND white/Blue together
    not orange and blue as you have in the picture.
    The reason is that the pairs of the same colour are twisted together to reduce interference and do a better job of bringing the line to your upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Agreed.. If you get a dial tone in the master socket and not in the other five in your house thats not the providers problem. But as said if you have no dial tone at the master socket you are entitled to an engineer call out for FREE.. Ring Vodafone again and say that you dont care what there test says. Inform them that the green test light shows that there is no short or damage to the cable. That doesnt mean its not been disconnected down the road.

Tell me this. Have you a red light on your broadband router to say its disconnected. If so while onto Vodafone say that everything is connected as it was 4 days ago and now ask them to try and test connection to the router.

Insist on a call out and say you are aware if the problem is your ffault (which it sounds like its not) that you are aware of the 120 euro charge by Eircom...

Take no crap from these providers, there very good at changing people over but sometimes not great at the back up service. Hopefully this time when you ring you will get a better CC staff member..

Also point on router cabling is correct, Id have that looked into..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There should be two screws on the front panel of the eircom socket.
    Remove these and remove the front plate. Your internal wiring is attached to this.
    There is a socket behind the plate, this is the raw line without your internal wiring.

The front plate basically has a standard RJ11/RJ45 connector on the back without a latch. This plugs into a second socket behind it which can be used to test the line.

Connect a phone here and if there's no dial tone it's a faulty line.
    Tell vodafone to sort it or you'll contact comreg.

If you get nowhere, tell the agent that you are now making an "official complaint" and ask for their name and a complaint reference number.

Vodafone can probabaly query eircom's automatic line diagnostic system. The local exchange that your line is connected to will report a fault if the line is shorted to earth etc but if it's been cleanly cut it may think the phone is just not plugged in & won't notice anything unusual. So their "green light" is utterly meaningless

Advertisement