Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry Challenge 2010: training advice needed!

• 26-05-2010 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

I've been roped into doing the Ring of Kerry Challenge in July next. I'm trying to raise my overall fitness to a standard that should get me through the day.

My current training regime involves sees me cycling 65km on a Sunday on largely flat ground, and two nights a week (Tues & Thurs) doing 32km on a route with a fairly substantial climb. Ideally what kind of training should I be doing, and what kind of distances should I be covering to attain an ideal standard of fitness for this event?

Also, any advice on what to expect on the day (and how to approach it) from someone who has done this event before would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,169 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Try and work up to doing one 100km ride with some hills per week.

The ROK isn't a hilly route but it's nice to have something in reserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

What Lumen said.

A couple of years ago I had done up to 60km and then did the WW100. Then did a bit more training after the WW100 and did the ROK. It's a great event and one of the most enjoyable on the calendar IMO.

There are 2 climbs on the route and neither are very difficult. Train well between now and then - upping your distance to 100km and beyond over the next few weeks. It will hurt as you increase your distance, but enjoy it and look forward to a great day out.

On the day, pace yourself and ride at a speed comfortable to yourself and get in groups going at a similar speed. Pushing too hard early will make the end a bit less enjoyable, so getting familiar with your comfortable pace over the extended distances over the next few weeks will help you understand yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Are there any food stops en-route or does everyone do their own thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I live on the route and the climbs are not at all tough.
    100km each weekend on an undulating route and you will be fine. Molls Gap is grand but comes after 130km so you will be tired.

Roads in Kerry are very heavy with a lot of rolling resistance. Also the road from Caherdaniel after the Coomakiste climb all the way to Kenmare are in rag order. Beyond a joke. Lots of potholes.
    I would train on some poor roads with lots of up and down bits. This would be great prep. A flattish 100km cycle in Kerry is (for me) far more draining than a 100km cycle in say Dublin Kildare or Meath for instance.

Very enjoyable event. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

shamwari wrote: »
    Are there any food stops en-route or does everyone do their own thing?

You will put on weight on the ROK. Official food stops are Caherviveen and Kenmare. Unofficial chocolate and water stops at Killorglin Waterville Coomakiste Black Shop Sneem.

Massages at official stops.
    Van hands out water along the route and on climbs.

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    Also the road from Caherdaniel after the Coomakiste climb all the way to Kenmare are in rag order. Beyond a joke. Lots of potholes.

:eek: thats over 30 miles.....ouch!! :D

ROK ON wrote: »
    You will put on weight on the ROK. Official food stops are Caherviveen and Kenmare. Unofficial chocolate and water stops at Killorglin Waterville Coomakiste Black Shop Sneem.

Massages at official stops.
    Van hands out water along the route and on climbs.
    So I don't need to travel with tonnes of water / food. That's a plus!

Advertisement