Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New waste collecion for Drogheda - The tag is back

Options
  • 26-05-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

According to todays Drogheda Leader a new waste service has been launched in Drogheda and Navan and it looks like they are re-introducing the traditional tag system back into Drogheda. Cant remember the name, Tag Your Bin I think. According to the piece they are the cheapest service for tag or monthly subscription. This will shake things up a little.

Any chance we could have competition like this in Dundalk.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

www.tagabin.ie they are recruiting at the minute for some reason the pages wont load for me , might give them a ring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Talked to them today. You have your existing bins emptied and leave them out, they pick up your old ones and leave new shiny ones. 9.99 for general waste and 4.50 for recycling.
    Personally, I use the recycling centre, which is as much as you can fit in your car for 2 euro (includes grass clippings, old PCs, bulbs etc etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

rang them and they dont know if they are doing our area or not they will ring me back hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

9.99 for general waste and 4.50 for recycling.

Perfect! I just hope they do Wheaton Hall as well! I would have my green bin out once a month, and black bin once in two months and this suits me down to earth. I am considering offering to work for them for free - voluntary. I want businesses like this to succeed! :)

Do they have a monthly plan or anything like that too?

Thought I heard about something along those lines?

• Advertisement

Talked to them today. You have your existing bins emptied and leave them out, they pick up your old ones and leave new shiny ones.

Sorry to double post, but Panda/Allied/etc. collect your bins or this tag-a-bin crowd take them?

We're currently with Panda but interested in switching over.. do we even have to tell Panda? (we have their €23.50 per month thing, with the card).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Sorry to double post, but Panda/Allied/etc. collect your bins or this tag-a-bin crowd take them?

We're currently with Panda but interested in switching over.. do we even have to tell Panda? (we have their €23.50 per month thing, with the card).

AFAIK, you just call and cancle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Lol, my Mum tells me she rang Panda to cancel her account and they are panicking and offering her the sun, moon and stars, too little too late.

How times change. This time two years ago she stood with other pensioners in a protest at Panda offices against the removal of the tag, Panda bullied pensioners into accepting an increased annual charge. They lost the respest of the people when they did that. Pay back time I guess.

Bully boys never win.

Lol, my Mum tells me she rang Panda to cancel her account and they are panicking and offering her the sun, moon and stars, too little too late.

How times change. This time two years ago she stood with other pensioners in a protest at Panda offices against the removal of the tag, Panda bullied pensioners into accepting an increased annual charge. They lost the respest of the people when they did that. Pay back time I guess.

Bully boys never win.

I wouldn't go casting judgments just yet. For all we know this tag-a-bin crowd could be out of business in three months.

I'm not very familiar with the whole waste collection business model, but surely tag-a-bin can't undercut by so much for too long. When their customer base grows, they have to charge more, etc. as they need more employees, etc.

Going up against Panda (who also own Allied now, I believe) surely can't be an easy task.

That said, I would love to see tag-a-bin last and all. I'm not related or associated with Panda or anything, so I don't really care. Just think it might not be too long before Panda are collecting your bins again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Drog1

I wouldn't go casting judgments just yet. For all we know this tag-a-bin crowd could be out of business in three months.

I'm not very familiar with the whole waste collection business model, but surely tag-a-bin can't undercut by so much for too long. When their customer base grows, they have to charge more, etc. as they need more employees, etc.

Going up against Panda (who also own Allied now, I believe) surely can't be an easy task.

That said, I would love to see tag-a-bin last and all. I'm not related or associated with Panda or anything, so I don't really care. Just think it might not be too long before Panda are collecting your bins again.

KVV I wouldn't be too sure. They are just shaking up the market like Ryanair did the airline industry. I think Panda did the same in Dublin. Fair play to them and I hope they are a success. I was at a party on Friday night and everybody was talking about it and saying they were going to switch. Competition is always good just doesn't make everybody happy ... :)

• Advertisement

Did anyone switch to tagabin.ie yet? Also any idea if they have decided the collection days for various areas?

Their website is completely broken except for essential contact details - I understand they are just starting up - I hope they do well!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

positron wrote: »
    Did anyone switch to tagabin.ie yet? Also any idea if they have decided the collection days for various areas?

Their website is completely broken except for essential contact details - I understand they are just starting up - I hope they do well!

I am moving to them, so I will keep you posted. But have Panda credut to use up first

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Bully boys never win.

Yes I agree, Panda got a foothold in Drogheda because they offered the tag system and Oxigen were offering the annual charge. As soon as Panda got a foothold they turned into a annual charge.

I hope the new guys do well. I suits old folks and those living alone, and those environmentally aware who reduce waste.

'm in

I'm with allied. Their tags were a bit expensive. I went to get a waste and recycling tag. The prices were cheaper than tag a bin. 8 for waste and 6 for recycling.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I'm with allied. Their tags were a bit expensive. I went to get a waste and recycling tag. The prices were cheaper than tag a bin. 8 for waste and 6 for recycling.

I think those prices are just for the summer. Though if/when they go back up, you can just switch over anyway.

When I told Panda I was gonna change over, they offered to bring me from €23.50 per month to €21.83, which isn't too bad. Not a huge difference but still considering switching over to Tag A Bin. If Panda dropped to €20 per month, I reckon they'd kill Tag A Bin (As anyone putting their bin out twice a month would stay with panda as it works out the same, but they wouldn't have to pay extra for Green bin or extra lifts if their bins fill earlier than expected).

That said, Panda are worth a fortune, I'd imagine. I'm surprised there has been no aggressive advertising campaign yet.

I switched over to tag-a-bin.ie. Local shop at Wheaton Hall does not stock their tags, but Saffords across the road at Brianstown Manor does.

Panda tried to sell 'Allied' to me - they have now taken administration of them, and is now offering them for 8 euro a tag - so that's their answer to Tag-A-Bin.ie. I disconnected anyway, just out of principle of not rewarding greed. Panda could have done the same a few months back when old and frail pensioners were begging to them for a better service, and I am sure a large percentage of houses in Drogheda has small families of two or three, and almost everyone being very environmentally conscious these days, a lot of people use bring banks, garden compost bins, VW Recycling etc regularly. In my own case, my green bin goes out once a month, and black bin once in two months, if not three!! Panda couldn't give a flying f*ck about people like me couple of months ago, so I don't care if they do Allied now - I may go back to them if Tag-A-Bin turns into another Panda, but for now, all hail competition!!

/rant :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hatadearg

i see tagabin also offer a subscription charge - anyone know what price that is

- also do tagabin have a place to dispose of our waste - if not with the greens hanging on in government and more landfill levies expected this year and next - tenner a bin less the bit the shop takes - it just can't ring true...... it can't last - i think panda and greenstar are the only places in the drogheda area that can process waste - prices will have to rise - altough i think some massive new dump was approved in lusk or rush last month

- it'll be like tesco petrol station, cheapest for weeks and now the dearest ....... although tagabin seemingly were only cheapest for a day or two

hatadearg wrote: »
    It'll be like tesco petrol station, cheapest for weeks and now the dearest ....... although tagabin seemingly were only cheapest for a day or two

Let's not discount the effect of competition in an open market! And I don't really believe Panda withdrew their tag service and increased the rates purely because their operating costs went up. Also, when tagabin came up, Panda can now, almost overnight, afford to offer tag service cheaper than ever?

Made the switch myself, only to find out that Allied had dropped their tag prices to 8 euro! Ah well, as others have said, too little, too late. Got my new orange bins dropped off yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hatadearg

Made the switch myself, only to find out that Allied had dropped their tag prices to 8 euro! Ah well, as others have said, too little, too late. Got my new orange bins dropped off yesterday!

do u still have the allied bins - i have 4 bins at my house - when i moved to panda - oxigen never remove mine - so i converted one to a coal bunker and the other to a composter - but i have the space for 4 bins - my mam on the other hand doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Panda are point blank refusing to give my Mum her deposit back. Several thousand people in Drogheda paid deposits for their bins. I contacted the National Consumer Agency and they say that she is fully entitled to her deposit back. :mad::mad:

hatadearg wrote: »
    do u still have the allied bins - i have 4 bins at my house - when i moved to panda - oxigen never remove mine - so i converted one to a coal bunker and the other to a composter - but i have the space for 4 bins - my mam on the other hand doesn't

They havent collected them yet, as they arrived with the new one before Allied had collected. They said they will so I'll keep you posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Tagabin.ie

Tag-A-Bin will have a presence on Boards to answer any queries from customers or potential customers.

Excellent stuff!

PS: You may want to ping one of the mods here to discuss official representation / 'Biz -> Talk to' setup.

Yes, we have been working with the mods who have been a great help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Drog1

Didn't know you guys offered a monthly option - great ... Does this apply to Drogheda and Navan? or is it only the tag. Thanks.

Got new bins delivered from Tag-A-Bin yesterday. Black bin is actually orange (like the black box in planes I suppose), and the green bin is orange with a green lid. May be Tag-a-bin need a quick visit from off-the-rails or Gok etc! ;)

Panda is yet to collect their bins, apparently they are too busy collecting bins, which is understandable...! :P

Meanwhile, if you recently left Panda, you are entitled to get the €20 deposit back - but Panda won't give it to you if you don't ask for it. I asked for it and they immediately agreed to pay it to my bank account.

Drog1, yes we have both options available in both areas.

Tag: Waste €9.99 and Recycling €4.50

Monthly payment option: €19.99 for a weekly collection

Positron, yes lovely bright orange bins, black is too dull and boring. The orange bins are certainly brightening up the town, might be the only sunshine we get. :cool:

Hi,

€19.99 for weekly collection of both bins?

• Advertisement

€19.99 is for weekly waste and fortnightly recycling collections.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement