Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox cub

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    In fairness this is getting a bit OTT, I came here to look for advice on how to do the best thing for an animal thats had a hard time I don't think it's fair that it's being implied that any of my intentions are cruel or as cruel as what the farmer did to the other cubs and mother. I won't bother coming back to the forum if this is the sort of attitude I have to deal with when I come looking for help. Having said that thanks again to the people who have bothered giving me advice, links and phone numbers it's very much appreciated.
    You are not being cruel. Some people are being hypocritical. It's ok to shoot foxes but it's cruel you saving the fox cub from the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you want the best advice & a great read get Practical Wildlife Care by Les Stocker of Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital. Les has rehabilitated & released a huge number of foxes & every other form of wildlife. His book The Complete Fox is superb.

You can phone Tiggywinkles - the number is on their website, if you need specific advice. The biggest problem is overcoming the natural desire to want to befriend the cub. It is essential that it retains a fear of humans in order to be safer in the wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I hope it will be wild enough to release, but if it isn't, then I don't see anything wrong with still feeding it. If you're in the middle of nowhere then it's not in too much danger from other people.

Well done for saving him or her, that's horrible that he left it to die slowly :( Whether killing them is right or wrong, he didn't have to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

please dont release it till september or october.And then leave food out for it .Disco dog has given you good advice about Les stocker and st tiggywinkles .by the way once again well done in rescuing it.

In fairness this is getting a bit OTT, I came here to look for advice on how to do the best thing for an animal thats had a hard time I don't think it's fair that it's being implied that any of my intentions are cruel or as cruel as what the farmer did to the other cubs and mother. I won't bother coming back to the forum if this is the sort of attitude I have to deal with when I come looking for help. Having said that thanks again to the people who have bothered giving me advice, links and phone numbers it's very much appreciated.
    well done Sapsorrow in rescuing the cub .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Well done rescuing the cub. Probably the best thing to do is get onto St. Tiggywinkles and get advice. My only worry about letting the fox go back to the wild is that he might be considered an interloper by the local fox population and attacked. Good luck with him - hope things turn out well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Morganna wrote: »
    i used to do a fox rescue in the uk.
    Give the cub ram meat,dog food ,and household scraps.Day old chicks if you can get them.
    As little contact as possible ,do not handle it or pet it.
    Just put food and water in and come away.I used to use a box on its side with the opening facing towards a wall.Therefor the cub could hide in the box when being cleaned out or fed.
    as i said as little human contact as possible.I rehabilatated many cubs that where succesfully released back into the wild.Good luck ,and well done in rescuing it.

i know several game keepers in the uk not far from gatwick ,they have a major problem with people letting foxes form the city out .

many have had ops done , when moved from a environment of scavenging and getting hand outs ,the country side is a cruel world for them .

i rescued a sika calf some time ago from a RTA ,the temptation was great to keep him ,i had the ground etc to do so .but common sense prevailed and i let him off near where i picked him up .

your cub is to old to be a tame pet ,ideally its eyes would have to be closed .

to rear it and release it would be cruel with the animal having "NO" chance to keep it the cub has some chance .

i would not knock the OP for doing what there doing they did not look for this it was landed on them ,plus the op is trying to find out whats route to go .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any wildlife rescue should know the importance of matching the release site to the animals home environment but foxes are quite adaptable. Tiggywinkles have successfully released urban foxes onto Clapham Common & Heathrow.

I totally disagree that this cub cannot be released provided that it is rehabilitated & conditioned properly. I know of foxes that have been in care for many months & then successfully released. In assessing a release site one has to consider the risk from hunting & shooting as well as traffic etc.

well jw shooter,firstly im not nor ever was from a city.Secondly i had a good network of safe release sites on friendly farmers land safely away from shooting and hunting.Also when one releases afox back into the wild ,they are wild and not tame.Also food is left out for a few weeks ,to help the fox.A lot of planning and research goes in to it firstly.
    Also the reason wh i say not to release till september or october is for a reason.September/october is the time the cubs disperse from there parents and go and set up their own territorys.So thats why that time is the best time to release the cub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Fox cub went to a new home in Killarney today. A woman there who rescues horses and foxes is minding her until she can be moved to a charity in England that re-releases them in groups. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

• Advertisement

well jw shooter,firstly im not nor ever was from a city.Secondly i had a good network of safe release sites on friendly farmers land safely away from shooting and hunting.Also when one releases afox back into the wild ,they are wild and not tame.Also food is left out for a few weeks ,to help the fox.A lot of planning and research goes in to it firstly.
    Also the reason wh i say not to release till september or october is for a reason.September/october is the time the cubs disperse from there parents and go and set up their own territorys.So thats why that time is the best time to release the cub.

that post really goes to show how naive some people really are , does the fox know all this research ?.

aug,sep,oct is the time when keepers really start to control vermin with a vengeance ,this is the time of the year game is realised tall crops are cut making it ideal for the destruction of vermin ..

foxes will travel many miles in a nite especially dog foxes looking for new territory/food/love etc .
    so much for your safe farm idea

your looking at wild life from a human point of view ,which does not help the animal in the long run .

<snip>

<snip>

Fox cub went to a new home in Killarney today. A woman there who rescues horses and foxes is minding her until she can be moved to a charity in England that re-releases them in groups. Thanks for all the replies everyone.
    well done Sapsorrow .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

jwshooter wrote: »
    that post really goes to show how naive some people really are , does the fox know all this research ?.

aug,sep,oct is the time when keepers really start to control vermin with a vengeance ,this is the time of the year game is realised tall crops are cut making it ideal for the destruction of vermin ..

foxes will travel many miles in a nite especially dog foxes looking for new territory/food/love etc .
    so much for your safe farm idea

your looking at wild life from a human point of view ,which does not help the animal in the long run .

<snip>
    Jwshhoter you coming across as an arrogant fool. Nobody is saying that the fox cub will make it and it will live to old age. It probably won't make it. But at the end of the day it's better than when it was stuck in the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

Jwshhoter you coming across as an arrogant fool. Nobody is saying that the fox cub will make it and it will live to old age. It probably won't make it. But at the end of the day it's better than when it was stuck in the barrel.

Dont think JW was saying keep it in the barrel fergal.

(i would not knock the OP for doing what there doing they did not look for this it was landed on them ,plus the op is trying to find out whats route to go .) JW did write this in his post did he not? Sorry I cant figure out that multi quote craic.

No more than my earlier post, it was not an attempt to knock the ops idea. It was simply to raise a few issues regarding the rearing and possible relocation of the fox. Granted some of the possible outcomes for foxy might seem extreme or undesirable (the barrel being no exception) but such is nature.

JW also highlighted his own experience with a Sika calf and fair play to him, his better judgement prevailed. I would consider this somewhat helpful information???

I think the general jist of things is in these 'unexpected' situations be it foxy or any other wild animal, ideally the wild is the place for it. However if it must be rescued/kept then try and keep it as 'wild' as possible if the intention is to release. Keeping as a pet is a whole different kettle of fish/fox/rabbits/flamingos.

Fox cub went to a new home in Killarney today. A woman there who rescues horses and foxes is minding her until she can be moved to a charity in England that re-releases them in groups. Thanks for all the replies everyone. (Sapsorrow)

Fairplay to OP for looking for advice, hope it works out and hopefully thats the last barrel you'll come across with a fox in it.

Jw was definetley coming across as arrogant.

where is the mod with his snip hear , i did not try to insult any one i just pointed out the facts .

if this offends the people ,thats there problem .

Jw was definetley coming across as arrogant.

why please explane .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

where is the mod with his snip hear , i did not try to insult any one i just pointed out the facts .

(I'm a she btw) I'm not online 24/7 - and if you've a problem with a post please use the report post function, the red triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre.

To be fair, you came across a little sarcastic in your posts so some people may have been rubbed up the wrong way.

However we don't allow insults either like calling people fools etc.
    So I'll ask now for everyone to keep things clean please.

star-pants wrote: »
    (I'm a she btw) I'm not online 24/7 - and if you've a problem with a post please use the report post function, the red triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre.

To be fair, you came across a little sarcastic in your posts so some people may have been rubbed up the wrong way.

However we don't allow insults either like calling people fools etc.
    So I'll ask now for everyone to keep things clean please.

what about arrogant ?.

whats amazes me about this hole thing is the total disregard for this fox ,
    from the farmer to the people that have a fluffy image of what happens in the real world .

these animals that have been hand reared ,rehabilitate and realised back into the wild should be tagged ,with the number of the sanctuary responsible .

this would severe a few purposes .

i would suggest the information from this would not be to your liking .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

what about arrogant ?.
    I did say 'etc' - and I'm not continuing this line of discussion as I've made the warning and I hope everyone will cop on from that point.
    jwshooter wrote:
    i would suggest the information from this would not be to your liking .
    I assume you mean others as I'm not particularly following this thread.

Either way the discussion is of this particular incident, we don't want to get off topic.

Advertisement