Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marked Down for Steering

• 26-05-2010 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I got 3 grade 2s for steering and not sure what that means. The examiner wouldn't tell me afterwards. Can any one enlighten me?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Your placement on the steering wheel and you might have crossed your arms while turning/not turned enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Your placement on the steering wheel and you might have crossed your arms while turning/not turned enough.

Crossing your arms is not a fault on the driving test, usually you will only be marked for "steering", if you let the wheel go when straightening or if you drive for a period with only one hand on the wheel. It's a very uncommon mark on the driving test report sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Hi,

Without actually seeing your driving its difficult to be sure but some possibilities for picking up steering faults :

1. Having both hands off the wheel at the same time (even for a short time!)

2. Letting the wheel slip back through your hands after turning left or right.

3. Driving with one hand for any lenght of time - both hands should be on the wheel at all times except when changing gears, using handbrake etc

4. 'crossing' your hands - not a typical fault unless you are really getting into awkward positions.

The main reasons for steering faults is essentially feels you do not have full and proper control of the steering.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

DriveSkill wrote: »
    2. Letting the wheel slip back through your hands after turning left or right.

Sorry, what do you mean by this? When I take a turn, I usually loosen my grip and let the wheel slide back itself into a straight position, if you know what I mean. I don't feed the wheel with my hands on the way back to a straight position, as I think it's smoother to let it slide itself.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Sorry, what do you mean by this? When I take a turn, I usually loosen my grip and let the wheel slide back itself into a straight position, if you know what I mean. I don't feed the wheel with my hands on the way back to a straight position, as I think it's smoother to let it slide itself.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Yes, thats what I meant. You should turn the steering wheel back to the straight position using your hands and not let it slip through as you dont have full control of it that way.

BTW I think I saw you post in the 'Successful' thread earlier - well done and Congratulations! I guess it didnt impact your test result :) if you drove like that on the test. It really depends on the examiners view and also exactly how much you let the steering wheel go - some people take both hands completely off and let it swing around (definitely a fault), if you have gentle hold as it slips back you may get away with it but definitely not the recommended way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes I did pass my test, Thank you!

Thanks for explaining that DriveSkill! I'll make sure to do it the proper way now - it makes more sense as you have more control over the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Is steering accuracy covered under steering or is it distributed between turning left/right, positioning, going straight?

Is steering accuracy covered under steering or is it distributed between turning left/right, positioning, going straight?

The Steering section of the report is for errors related to maintaining proper control of the steering wheel - as mentioned above : you cant drive with one hand etc - it doesnt necessarily mean that your positioning on the road will be wrong. However, if as a result of poor steering technique you end up swinging wide or cutting a corner etc then that fault will be marked under 'Positioning'.

Advertisement