Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of production sweet, name required

Options
  • 26-05-2010 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the name of the following sweet / candy, from my best description below!

- Out of production, was in production 10 years ago
    - Sour sweet, or at least had sour flavour
    - Sweets came in small packages much like chewits, however they were arranged side by side, not one above another, so the whole pack was long and thin, around 20cm
    - Packaging at least for the sour flavour was purple, with small stars printed everywhere

This is a childhood memory, hence the vague description!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

they weren't sour chewits were they?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh that sounds so familiar. Were they bigger and a bit flatter than Chewits? And there was only about 5 or 6 in a pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Do you mean 'Fizzy Chewits?' They were fizzy and sour and packaged similar to how you described. There was a lemonade flavour from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Sour Chewits are still VERY much in production... I saw a load of them in a Centra just a few days ago!

http://www.retrotuckshopsweetsdirect.co.uk/images/xsour%20tutti.jpg

Don't think these are what you're after though.. I didn't think they were that old..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Maybe the OP is talking about "spangles" I don't remember the originals in the 80's, but I remember the relaunch of them in the 90's. They were more like Opal Fruits with tiny sour crystals in them....

spangles3kx7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Dugtang wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me the name of the following sweet / candy, from my best description below!

- Out of production, was in production 10 years ago
    - Sour sweet, or at least had sour flavour
    - Sweets came in small packages much like chewits, however they were arranged side by side, not one above another, so the whole pack was long and thin, around 20cm
    - Packaging at least for the sour flavour was purple, with small stars printed everywhere

This is a childhood memory, hence the vague description!

Were they hard sweets of chewy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Jolly Ranchers/Rogers were the ones that sprung to mind when I read the first post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lornen wrote: »
    Sour Chewits are still VERY much in production... I saw a load of them in a Centra just a few days ago!

http://www.retrotuckshopsweetsdirect.co.uk/images/xsour%20tutti.jpg

Don't think these are what you're after though.. I didn't think they were that old..

These are what I was thinking of! Thanks.

Advertisement