Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car tax question

• 26-05-2010 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

I bought a car last week and its taxed until next april.

The question i have the disc says the tax amount is 0.00 euro as the previous owner was disabled it says exempt on the disc. I just seen this earlier today.

Is the car covered for tax for the year or if i met a cop on a bad hair day who checks the disc and sees the exempt on it. Will i get done????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

freighter wrote: »

The question i have the disc says the tax amount is 0.00 euro as the previous owner was disabled it says exempt on the disc. I just seen this earlier today.

Is the car covered for tax for the year or if i met a cop on a bad hair day who checks the disc and sees the exempt on it. Will i get done????
    sorry.....didnt read the post properly

o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

the last owner may have had a disability and therefore was allowed vat free fuel along with free road tax........just a suggestion:)

He was disabled allrite but am i allowed to keep the tax on the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

He was disabled allrite but am i allowed to keep the tax on the car
    i honestly dont know,

cars that were used as taxis would have a similar issue when sold on to a private user.:confused:

I was hoping a ags member would confirm if it was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

I could be wrong here, but I think you would have to have a disability sticker on display also for it to be valid. Not 100% certain though

• Advertisement

Ill jump of the roof of the house later so:D

Ill jump of the roof of the house later so:D
    May not be true so for the love of God, check it out first!:D

By parking thingie, are you talking about the blue card thingie with the "disability symbol" on it? Thats what I was on about but dont know proper name for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

No im afraid you must contact the motor tax office in respect of changing the tax and paying for it.

There is a specific summons (normally for trucks undertaxed, jeeps which are taxed as commercial and used as passenger and taxis used as private) called "incorrect rate of motortax". Usual fine is €800 - €1000 and is considered worse by Judges than no tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You will have to pay the tax. You are the registered owner and are not a disabled driver.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Pop in to the motor tax department and ask someone behind the counter. I think you're liable to pay for tax tho I'm afraid.

Advertisement