Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N. Irish Minister for Culture requests creationist inclusion in Museum

• 26-05-2010 9:55pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps should be included in religious humour :D

From here: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/05/northern_ireland_culture_is_ap.php
    Nelson McCausland, who believes that Ulster Protestants are one of the lost tribes of Israel, has written to the museum's board of trustees urging them to reflect creationist and intelligent design theories of the universe's origins.

The Democratic Unionist minister said the inclusion of anti-Darwinian theories in the museum was "a human rights issue".

McCausland defended a letter he wrote to the trustees calling for anti-evolution exhibitions at the museum. He claimed that around one third of Northern Ireland's population believed either in intelligent design or the creationist view that the universe was created about 6,000 years ago.

Guess they're not limited to America so....

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I was about to write "Is that that Mervyn Storey idiot again?"

There are two of them. How depressing.

I wonder if one of them posts in the megathread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Just a little bit sickening to see the concept of human rights thrown around with such abandon. Cheap shot.

You do not have an inalienable right to have your gibberish displayed in museums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I look forward to reading Ian O' Doherty's piece on this in tomorrow's Indo. :cool:
    I swear he just reads this forum and ads "It's yer ooman rights innit?".

On topic; what was it Sir David Attenborough said about creationism? Something along the lines of: "Teaching creationism equally alongside evolution is a bit like saying two plus two is four... or five if that is your belief."

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Quote:
    ... He claimed that around one third of Northern Ireland's population believed either in intelligent design or the creationist view that the universe was created about 6,000 years ago.

WTF?!

Where did he get that figure? One third? :confused:

Quote:
    ... He claimed that around one third of Northern Ireland's population believed either in intelligent design or the creationist view that the universe was created about 6,000 years ago.

WTF?!

He intelligently designed it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The word 'intelligent' is losing all meaning to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

god bless partition.

(pun intended)
    :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

He intelligently designed it?
    Not sure that intelligence has played any part in this story yet.

robindch wrote: »
    Not sure that intelligence has played any part in this story yet.

He just created it, then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

He debates Dawkins here at 29.30. Cormac from countmeout.ie debates at 64 minutes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

cavedave wrote: »
    He debates Dawkins here at 29.30. Cormac from countmeout.ie debates at 64 minutes as well.

Haha, McCausland did really poorly there. He reminded me of that Australian creationist politician who was on Q&A with Dawkins. Failure to answer questions, almost immediate recourse to the "you're being intolerant" card...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I am trying to think of a less even battle. Maybe the entire us army versus me hungover with half a rusty spoon. That would seem similar to this battle of wits or more accurately Dawkins battle with a half wit.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

All I can say is /facepalm. This is the most stupid, retarded thing I have heard of in some time. How on earth is this guy a Minister? If 51% of people mistakenly but genuinely believed 2+2=5, do we change all the maths books? Listening to this stuff makes me think the earths collective intelligence is declining. It is actually depressing.

These morons want creationism in museums simply to try and lend some 'official' credibility to it. It's not like they have the benefit of handy stuff like say, evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Intelligent design and creationism do deserve a place in a museum, just not in the section/context where the "minister" thinks they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Intelligent design and creationism do deserve a place in a museum, just not in the section/context where the "minister" thinks they should be.
    Mythology section?

Atlantis
    Greek Gods
    Creationism

or how about a discredited section alongside...

Communism
    Creationism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Been listening to the whole thing. So many facepalms.

If this was to happen the Irish would be the laughing stock of the civilised world.

If this was to happen the Irish would be the laughing stock of the civilised world.

When you say Irish... :D

WEll we do have a leprechaun museum... are you thinking what I'm thinking???? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Galvasean wrote: »
    WEll we do have a leprechaun museum... are you thinking what I'm thinking???? :cool:

I bet I am. I'll get the whipped cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I think so Brain, but if our knees bent that way, we wouldn't be able to ride bicycles!

Man, I miss Pinky and the Brain....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Maximilian wrote: »
    Listening to this stuff makes me think the earths collective intelligence is declining. It is actually depressing.
    No, people were always this stupid. It´s just better documented now.

Anybody still on for a united Ireland?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

robindch wrote: »
    Anybody still on for a united Ireland?
    Was clearly God's vision, as he made us one island

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Love this from the Pharyngula
    their shock only exceeded by the later confused state of Egypt's Sixth Dynasty, which was simultaneously exterminated by a great flood from that psychopath, Jehovah, and also continued unbroken with no notice of their extinction for another 150 years. Resilient folk, those Egyptians.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

30 years ago, approx. 1 / 3 of the Republic believed a special man had magic powers to talk to God and went to see him in action in the Phoenix Park.
    Through massive economic growth, education increases and the corruptions of the RC Church it has all but collapsed here.

The 1/3 of their society that is statiscally prone to strong Religious views just hasn't changed. Perhaps because they have not seen the major changes in economics and education. And their Churches haven't had the same scandals.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Love this from the Pharyngula
    Not an original one, unfortunately :(

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sumerians-look-on-in-confusion-as-god-creates-worl,2879/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Article in the Guardian on this;
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/may/26/northern-ireland-ulster-museum-creationism

It also tells of some gimp who disputes the age of The Giants Causeway, and objected when signs were erected indicating the age of the rocks there! How can people dispute facts!?

[Edit] Another rage inducing article;
    http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/your-views-Call-to-teach.4360514.jp

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    Article in the Guardian on this;
    How can people dispute facts!?

because its not in the book! if its not in the book it doesnt feckin exist. dinosaurs, rocks older than 6,000 years, pat kenny, the B side of lithium by nirvana are all conspiracies by hawkins-ites-ians-lings to decieved people because they hate our freedom.

lets resurect the irish building trade by building a wall around the border

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I have no objections to a creationism exhibit as part of an exhibit on religion and religious beliefs. However it has no place in a science exhibit and that's where the minister got it wrong, if indeed that's what he intended.

• Advertisement

time to even the score

'Sinn Fein leader demand year round shamrock shake availability'

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sinn-fein-leaders-demand-yearround-shamrock-shake,771/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I was about to write "Is that that Mervyn Storey idiot again?"

There are two of them. How depressing.
    Unfortunately there is more than two. I would expect that most, if not all, of that particular party would be of a similar opinion.

I would expect that quite a large portion of the people that are hardcore voters for that party would also share that belief. I would think that the estimate of 33% could potential be depressingly low...

MrP

Its possibly 33% of their party. Bear in mind how Creationists usually get their belief percentage statistics; They usually ask a very vague question along the lines of "Do you believe that humans were created more or less in their current form within the last 10,000 years?" Now, to the untrained eye you might be thinking, 'Why yes, Homo sapiens did first appear in the fossil record around 10,000 years ago'. Suddenly, you are being counted as a Creationist.

Suddenly, you are being counted as a Creationist.

Using knowledge of palaeontology against evolutionists - Very intel..., er sneaky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The belief that the Earth was divinely created in 4004 BC originates with the writings of another Ulster-based Protestant, Archbishop of Armagh James Ussher, in 1654. Ussher calculated the date based on textual clues in the Old Testament, even settling on a date and time for the moment of creation: in the early hours of 23 October.

Lol, wasnt that the date the ice age ended too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Lol, wasnt that the date the ice age ended too?

July 19th, wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Quote:

WTF?!

That does indeed sound like they need creationism in museums, in that case.
    With a good, clear exhibition on why it's most likely utter bollocks.

Now that IS a good idea. If I were rich and eccentric I'd build a Creation Museum and invite all the loopers to the grand opening. Oh the fun I would have to see their faces when they realise all the exhibits discredit/ridicule their fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I hope that Armagh Planetarium adds a special section for those who believe in astrology, geocentrism and the heavenly spheres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Made a post on the front page of Atheist Ireland in response to this farce.

http://www.atheist.ie/2010/06/dup-at-it-again/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Does this remind anyone else of the episode of The Simpsons where Flanders visits the museum? I'd have nothing against the exhibit shown there..

Couldn't find the clip on youtube for you :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

cavedave wrote: »

It's gone :(

Anyone with a saved mp3 willing to put it online? :o

You heathen athiests just cant take the evidence. Heres more proof that all science is wrong about every thing

Evangelical Scientists Refute Gravity With New 'Intelligent Falling' Theory

KANSAS CITY, KS—As the debate over the teaching of evolution in public schools continues, a new controversy over the science curriculum arose Monday in this embattled Midwestern state. Scientists from the Evangelical Center For Faith-Based Reasoning are now asserting that the long-held "theory of gravity" is flawed, and they have responded to it with a new theory of Intelligent Falling.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/evangelical-scientists-refute-gravity-with-new-int,1778/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

Maybe what the minister meant was that one "turd" in Ulster believed in this :)

Advertisement