Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to get snagging list done??

Options
  • 26-05-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi,in the house buying process,house is brand new,finished except for kitchen,tiles,fireplace fit out which the builder is going to do. Have engaged a highly recommended engineer to do a comprehensive snag list,
    Now my question is when should the list be done, the engineers office suggests doing it now before the fit but reading other posts on here it seems to me its done when the entire house is finished.Am I wrong?
    So whats the normal process??
    Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I would wait until everything is finished....essentially when you sign off on the snag list, you are saying that you accept the house in it's current state and could be moving in within a matter of days. Who's to say the builder won't cause loads of damage to the walls installing the fireplace/kitchen and as you've already done the snag list its too late to get him to fix it (in saying that he probably will, but won't be as keen to as you may have handed over your money)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

hey fletch, thought of that myself, im assuming doing the snag list now the engineer comes back after the fit-out to check the items on the list are addressed to his satisfaction?so then he checks the kitchen fit-out etc as well..Im presuming that the other jobs on the list will be completed with the fit-out so its all done at once while the builders are there??by the way whats the norm for the engineer to visit?just once to do the snag list?or twice coming back to check the list is complete?thanks in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

Id def wait until its all finished. Otherwise, you may have a problem with something after the fit, and because you've already submitted your snag list, and problems have been fixed (hopefully), they will use this as way of getting out fixing other things. Best of luck.

Advertisement