Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed Camera

• 26-05-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

hey guys

Can someone refresh my memory regarding the garda speed cameras?

Is it true to say when the tripod mounted camera is used that the tickets are issued automatically and that when the handheld (haidryer) is used, then the offender must be stopped in order to be prosecuted?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

- its related to proof.
    if the camera prints a photo with time, date, speed, etc, then its proof enough.
    if its a hairdryer they have to get you to admit to an offence, and should show you the speed reading if asked. but if you dont agree, then i dont think they can prosecute, as when in court there is no proof.
    chance your arm anyway.... good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

cant seem to fond a definative answer anywhere after some searching.

basically garda car was in an entrance coming out from an estate and it appeared to be at the stopline and there was no1 outside the car.

the reason i think they may have been checking for speed as their location was approximately 40m from a speed change from 60-80kph and the converse in the opposite direction

so i was thinking they might have had a camera inside the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could there have been a hairdryer-toting member hiding behind an open door of said car? Thats the usual case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

whizbang wrote: »
    - its related to proof.
    if the camera prints a photo with time, date, speed, etc, then its proof enough.
    if its a hairdryer they have to get you to admit to an offence, and should show you the speed reading if asked. but if you dont agree, then i dont think they can prosecute, as when in court there is no proof.
    chance your arm anyway.... good luck

O/P.....the above post is total BS.

At times a mobile speed camera can be used operated on a tripod. This takes a picture.

However the normal spped detection guns can also be tripod mounted. Generally members of AGS will stop you and take details.....however we can issue whats know as a non intercept ticket where we take the plate number and issue the ticket to the registered owner.

Just to clarify the wuoted post....we do not have to show you the speed gun (although it is usual practice) and we do NOT have to get you to admit the offence. It is the Garda's sworn evidence of use of the detection equipmennt that is evidence in court.

At times a mobile speed camera can be used operated on a tripod. This takes a picture.

However the normal spped detection guns can also be tripod mounted. Generally members of AGS will stop you and take details.....however we can issue whats know as a non intercept ticket where we take the plate number and issue the ticket to the registered owner.

Just to clarify the wuoted post....we do not have to show you the speed gun (although it is usual practice) and we do NOT have to get you to admit the offence. It is the Garda's sworn evidence of use of the detection equipmennt that is evidence in court.

appreciate the feedback, thanks for that. do you know what range is on those guns as it would have been a handheld gun as they were in the car. i think im perhaps being overcautious but it was an excellent point to catch people speeding in both directions due to the speed change.

• Advertisement

mac09 wrote: »
    appreciate the feedback, thanks for that. do you know what range is on those guns as it would have been a handheld gun as they were in the car. i think im perhaps being overcautious but it was an excellent point to catch people speeding in both directions due to the speed change.

It depends on the detection gun. One is approx 600meters and the other os 1000meters.......the 1000m one is confined to Traffic Corps only.

It depends on the detection gun. One is approx 600meters and the other os 1000meters.......the 1000m one is confined to Traffic Corps only.

i was much closer than that when i saw them. wasnt a situation where they could see me and i couldnt see them. i reckon 300m max.

i was much closer than that when i saw them. wasnt a situation where they could see me and i couldnt see them. i reckon 300m max.

Those measurements I gave you are max measurements.....it will work from about 20 meters or so up to those.

Wouldnt worry abiout it tbh. we generally stop and there is only three tripods in the country that take photos;)

Relax, enjoy the weather and safe driving.

Those measurements I gave you are max measurements.....it will work from about 20 meters or so up to those.

Wouldnt worry abiout it tbh. we generally stop and there is only three tripods in the country that take photos;)

Relax, enjoy the weather and safe driving.

yeah they were probably just coming out of the estate

just wondering what the timeframe is for the ticket coming in the post is? i know in the uk its 14 days from the date of offense, anything after this is deemed invalid

• Advertisement

just wondering what the timeframe is for the ticket coming in the post is? i know in the uk its 14 days from the date of offense, anything after this is deemed invalid

From the date of detection up to 56 days before the 6 month statute of limitations. This is to allow the 56 days you have to pay before summons are issued.

(so anytime from the date of detection to around 3.5 months or so)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

What's the field of view like at that distance?

From the date of detection up to 56 days before the 6 month statute of limitations. This is to allow the 56 days you have to pay before summons are issued.

wow, thats a huge departure from uk regs. fair enough. what in your experience is the norm for these being issued?

KamiKazi wrote: »
    What's the field of view like at that distance?

The 1000m "gun" has a magnified scope on it. View in both of them are perfect.

wow, thats a huge departure from uk regs. fair enough. what in your experience is the norm for these being issued?

Were not in the UK......

Within 1 month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

The 1000m "gun" has a magnified scope on it. View in both of them are perfect.

Is the scope distance adjustable?

No reason for me asking, purely out of curiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Thanks for the dates but can i ask you a question

I was stopped on 12 December 09 for speeding, hairdryer and pulled over.

I have yet to receive anything in the post, at what point will it go past the date at which i can be fined and what about the points, is there a cut off for them??

Also I am about to renew my insurance (15 June) and like i say i have received nothing from above incident, am i obliged to tell the insurance company about my 2 points in the post or not? I don't think i am if i haven't received notification?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Just to expand futher on this point aswell, there is this false rumour going around for years that, if the guard cannot produce a calibration cert for the speed detection equipment that you will get off. This is completely false.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1961 section 105, subsection B
    it shall not be necessary to prove that the watch or electronic or other apparatus was accurate or in good working, order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Tipp Man wrote: »
    am i obliged to tell the insurance company about my 2 points in the post or not?

Not. Lots of people have been told by a Guard or even by a Judge that they will get points, but never did. The insurance do not ask if anyone told you you'd be getting points in the future, they ask if you actually got points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

The insurance do not ask if anyone told you you'd be getting points in the future, they ask if you actually got points.

Exactly, it could be 2 months (if your getting them) before the letter lands in the door indicating your alleged speeding.

I got 2 in October and didnt get the letter till feburary, its only after you pay the fine is when they are applied to your licence. The 3 years then start from that date, not the date you were caught.

Inform the insurance company when you pay the fine. (asssuming of course you get points)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Just to clarify then, as the offence happened on 12 Dec 09, I do not now have to pay the fine as i am within the 56 days before the statute of limitations date?

And if i don't receive anything before the 12 June 2010 then I will not have to pay a fine and I cannot get the points, is this correct??

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Is the scope distance adjustable?

No reason for me asking, purely out of curiosity.

No its a fixed scope.
    Thanks for the dates but can i ask you a question

I was stopped on 12 December 09 for speeding, hairdryer and pulled over.

I have yet to receive anything in the post, at what point will it go past the date at which i can be fined and what about the points, is there a cut off for them??

Also I am about to renew my insurance (15 June) and like i say i have received nothing from above incident, am i obliged to tell the insurance company about my 2 points in the post or not? I don't think i am if i haven't received notification?

Was posted above....you do not get points until you are notified (once you have paid the notice or been convicted in court)

If you havint received a notice by now one of two things happened.....The Garda decided not to issue the ticket to you.....or the notice has not arrived and you will be summonsed (if you get a summmons contact a solicitor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Just to clarify then, as the offence happened on 12 Dec 09, I do not now have to pay the fine as i am within the 56 days before the statute of limitations date?

And if i don't receive anything before the 12 June 2010 then I will not have to pay a fine and I cannot get the points, is this correct??

You might get lucky and hear nothing more of it. I got pulled over for using my phone more than a year ago, details taken the whole lot and never heard any more about it.

I was very apologetic tho and was stopped while in the process of turning into an industrial estate to pull over, and I explained as much to the guard, so maybe he just took pity on me! The guards in my area are pretty decent for the most part.

appreciate your comments niceguy. one last question, can the cameras be used from inside a car or do they have to be used externally or with a window down?

appreciate your comments niceguy. one last question, can the cameras be used from inside a car or do they have to be used externally or with a window down?

Best practice would be window down but yes they do work through glass.

is ti €80 and 2 points for a speeding offense? are there any circumstances where this increases and i dont mean failure to pay within 28 days, i mean for example where speed is 30kph over limit

is ti €80 and 2 points for a speeding offense? are there any circumstances where this increases and i dont mean failure to pay within 28 days, i mean for example where speed is 30kph over limit

No. People have mentioned on here about being given a secondary fine for driving without reasonable consideration (another €80 and 2 points but an entirely seperate offence) for going a fair bit over the limit but this is entirely down to the Guard in question. It is not automatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Dang, after reading this I think I got done this morning.

I over took a car going 80kph in a 100kph. As I was overtaking him I spotted the squad car hidden well up ahead especially with the glare of the sun on him.

He was leaning out the window with a Camera or Hairdyer, dunno which it was. He didn't come after me anyways. I think I was going slightly over the speed limit when I overtook, not much though as the car I over took was going so slow.

Will wait and see!

MYOB wrote: »
    No. People have mentioned on here about being given a secondary fine for driving without reasonable consideration (another €80 and 2 points but an entirely seperate offence) for going a fair bit over the limit but this is entirely down to the Guard in question. It is not automatic.

You can get the second fine but not the second set of points. You can only get points for one of the offences if they occur during the same incident. The greater of the two is taken if one is lower than the other.
    CKWPORT wrote: »
    Dang, after reading this I think I got done this morning.

I over took a car going 80kph in a 100kph. As I was overtaking him I spotted the squad car hidden well up ahead especially with the glare of the sun on him.

He was leaning out the window with a Camera or Hairdyer, dunno which it was. He didn't come after me anyways. I think I was going slightly over the speed limit when I overtook, not much though as the car I over took was going so slow.

Will wait and see!

I wouldnt worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Just to clarify on this....does this mean you could be done for speeding because a guard said he seen you speeding with no evidence proving that it was actually your car doing the said speed, with what could possibly be a broken speed gun?

• Advertisement

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Just to clarify on this....does this mean you could be done for speeding because a guard said he seen you speeding with no evidence proving that it was actually your car doing the said speed, with what could possibly be a broken speed gun?

A Garda giving sworn evidence is just that.....evidence. His evidence will be that he detected the vehicles reg Blah travelling at blah speed in such a zone.

It is taken in law that the speed detection equipment is correct unless otherwise proven by the defence. Speed guns are due to be calibrated once a year but are normally done every 6-8 months. They have an internal computer that will shut the gun down and not allow it work if it goes outside the tolerance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Viper_JB wrote: »

Yes, if a Guard wanted to give you a ticket badly enough to perjure himself, then sure.

Of course, since you can't point a hairdryer at any road in the country for more than 30 seconds without catching an actual speeder, there is very little reason why they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paryan

just dont wash the car and keep the head down and drive on

You can get the second fine but not the second set of points. You can only get points for one of the offences if they occur during the same incident. The greater of the two is taken if one is lower than the other.

Wasn't aware of that, useful to know. Also suggests some posters on here have been fibbing a bit about times they've been caught!

MYOB wrote: »
    Wasn't aware of that, useful to know. Also suggests some posters on here have been fibbing a bit about times they've been caught!

I'd say they are just miss informed. They will still receive two notices and expect the four points....two for each notice. However months later when the points notification letter comes out it will have only two. People then assume they made a mistake and "say nothing"!!

Advertisement