Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That's not sweat. It's my body crying.

Options
  • 26-05-2010 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Well I've decided to join the fun and start a fitness log here.

For some background (and to keep a record of my numbers):

Did some Bootcamp stuff from November '06 to December '07 and a bit on and off after that. Got some results in terms of weight loss but can't say I had much definition (cardio cardio cardio). - Went down to 78KG at one point which is definitely the lightest I've been in a VERY long time.

I then dropped the ball completely and started working out again in the beginning of October '09 after meeting the walking inspiration that is Transform :D.

Training has been a bit up and down with extremely little done from the beginning of January until mid April which obviously brought my BF % back up a bit.

I'm 27, male.

Goals:
    Drop my bodyfat % down to a level where I'm happy with the way I look (sub 10%).
    Get fit.
    Get REALLY fit.
    Participate in the next Crossfit invitationals.

My stats on April 15th:
    Weight: Around 92-93KG (my program doesn't say, must ask the man with the little black book!)
    Body fat 14% Subscap 13mm, Chest 15mm, Stomach 20mm, Thighs 12mm

I have been keeping a record of my workouts so I'm going to post them all in a reply (I've actually been annoying my friends by posting them on Facebook but this is much easier to read).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭1ceman

Monday April 19th
    Squats & Box hops 8sets of 5reps (squats @ 60KG-70KG-then 6x80KG) then 3x12reps of squats @ 50KG. Finished with 3x500m row with 3mins break between sets.

Tuesday April 20th
    Run (3.12KM in 19:34), 5sets of 3reps of Kettlebell push press @20KG, and a total of some 15 knees to elbows and 45 reverse ab curls between sets.

Thursday April 22nd
    5 sets of 20 Swiss ball leg curls and 8reps Bench press @3x60KG-2x70KG then 4sets of 15reps Straight leg deadlifts @2x50KG-2x60KG and again 8reps bench press @45KG (50% drop). Finished off with 10x 50m sprints with 30secs break between each.

Saturday April 24th
    Kettlebell Snatch 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10reps with a 20kg KB and one round of Cindy between each round (Cindy = 5 pull-ups, 10 press-ups, and 15 squats). Took me a while but I finished :)

Monday April 26th
    Step lunges (8reps) + 16 Pushups for 5 sets (with legs on bench instead of weighted - had no backpack). Then overhead squat @20kg 10reps + 500m row x 5 rounds.

Tuesday April 27th
    Light run (3KM) then couplet of Kettlebell snatch (3reps) + Straight leg deadlift (25reps) for 6sets. (High reps on SLDL because I only have the 20KG kettlebell at home).

Saturday May 1st
    400m run and max reps on press-ups and pull-ups. Rest 3mins and repeat x 5rounds

Monday May 3rd
    3.1KM run (with 8 pullups thrown in on the way as these really need work!) and then 5 sets of 3 Kettlebell snatches and 25 Straight leg deadlifts (20KG kettlebell)

Tuesday May 4th
    Back squats + depth jumps for 7 sets of 3reps (squats at 1x60 2x80 and 4x90)Then 10 rounds of 10 Kettlebell swings + 200m sprint with a 1min break between rounds.

Thursday May 6th
    5 sets of overhead squats (10reps @ 2x20-3x30) + One arm rows (10reps @ 1x27.5KG-4x32.5). Dips + Bicep curls 50,10,40,20,30-30,20,40,10,50reps (bicep curl@ 10x25KG,20x20KG,30x15KG,40x15KG,50x15KG)

Saturday May 8th
    Crossfit "DANIEL"! – 50 pull-ups, 400m run, 21 thrusters (each side as I was using the 20KG kettlebell), 800m run, 21 thrusters, 400m run, 50 pull-ups.
    Done in the not-so-respectable time of 36:11 (!)

Monday May 10th
    Step lunges+Weighted pushups for 5 sets (8reps each leg worked up to 2x17.5KG weights and 8 reps pushups worked up to 20KG in the backpack). Then 4x8reps seated rows (worked up to 68KG)+back extensions (10KG).

Tuesday May 11th
    Light run (3.1KM) with 13 pullups on the way (still need loads improvement) then push press for 10sets of 3 reps with the 20KG kettlebell paired with 10 seconds of L-sits.
    (I cannot do L-sits, did not have bars so just my hands on the floor but barely got my toes off the floor with my legs curled underneath me)

Thursday May 13th
    Swiss ball leg curls 20reps + Bench press (8reps) for 5sets (bench at 3x60 2x70). Then 15reps of Straight leg deadlifts + 15 reps bench @45KG for 4 sets.
    Finished with 10 x 50m sprints with 30secs break between sets.

Saturday May 15th
    15 walking lunges per leg (10KG plate overhead) + 10 Knees to elbows + 5 burpees x 5 rounds.
    Finished with a 2KM run (in 10:40 on a treadmill)

Monday May 17th
    Back squats + Box hops 8x5reps (squats @60-70-4x80-2x85KG) then 3x10reps of squats @60KG.
    Finished with 4x300m row with 3mins break between sets. (each 300m done in exactly 1min).

Tuesday May 18th
    3.1KM run (with 11 pullups on the way through the park) and then 6 sets of 3 Kettlebell snatches and 25 Straight leg deadlifts (20KG kettlebell).

Thursday May 20th
    Bench press + pull ups 5reps for 7 sets (bench @ 2x50-3x60-1x70-1x80KG and 7 reps on last set of pullups)
    And then a bit of core work and shoulder flexibility exercises (cause I need them!!).

Saturday May 22nd
    18 body weight squats, 6 dips, 9 knees to elbows x 10 rounds.
    Then – 15mins run (2.5KM on the treadmill)

Monday May 24th
    7 rounds of 7 squats + 7 burpees.
    Rest 5mins
    Then – 15mins run

Tuesday May 25th (extra as I didn't have time for my full workout)
    2.3KM run in 12:12

Wednesday May 26th
    5x15reps of split squats + Swiss ball leg curls (split squats 3sets @12.5 - 1set @14 - 1set @15KG)
    Then – 10 Kettlebell swings + 200m sprint x8 with a 1min break between rounds.

Todays schedule was simple:
    1-2 reps Max deadlift

So I worked my way up starting with 5x60KG and ending at:

1x155KG

So this would be my personal record at the moment. Pretty sure I can up that soon enough as I walked away feeling like I had more in me :D

Quite happy with that to be honest. Did a deadlift for the first time last October...

Here's a vid of my max today, any tips are most welcome!

1km run, 50 pull-ups 50 press-ups, 500m run, 40 of each, 250m run 30 of each

This was the last day on my 6 week program. Really happy with it. It was set up for 4 days per week and in a way that I could do 2 sessions in the gym and 2 at home / in the park which worked out very well (exactly what I needed!).
    I missed 1 session in the 6 weeks. :pac:

I'll be meeting up with Transform again on Wednesday and just doing some easy stuff in the meantime.

Session with Transform today just going over some stuff I will be doing in my next workout routine.

Did a "ladder" metcon of inverted rows and boxhops. (Starting with 2 reps and increasing by 2 each minute on the minute) - 5 rounds (to 10 reps of each)

Then 75meter sprint, 4 deadlifts @60KG, 5 pullups and 6 burpees. Did these in 1 minute flat each time (3 rounds of these just to get the feel for them).

Finished with looking at form on overhead squat and push press.

Bodyfat down by 1.6% in the last 6 weeks bringing me to 12.4%. Happy with that but know I could have done way better had my diet been anywhere near where it should be.

Crossfit Cindy (5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats) max rounds in 20 minutes.
    I was at 10 rounds, 5 pullups and 6 pushups when I ran out of time.

• Advertisement

First day of my new program today. Back in full swing after a slow week last week :)

Today's workout:

Couplet of back squats + box hops
    (10x60KG warmup then 6 sets of 3reps - 3x@80KG 3x@90KG).
    Then 3 sets of partial squats (3x100 3x110 3x120KG).
    Finished with 3x500m row with 1min break between sets.

Light run for 20mins (3.3KM on the treadmill) then practiced push press for 5sets of 3 reps (1x20KG 4x40KG).
    Paired with barbell chops for 8reps on each side for 4 sets (1x bar only 3x with 10KG plate on the bar).

Did a few power cleans with the bar just to try to get the feel for it.
    Would have done more sets on the push press but was running late...

10 burpees, 50 sit ups, 50 knees to elbows, 21 Barbell thrusters (30kg), 21 pull ups, 10 burpees – for time.

Finished in 19:22.

Looking at this on paper and the time I finished in I'm kinda wondering how that workout could take me 20 minutes to finish :confused:

The killer were definitely the knees to elbows, took by far the longest. That being said, everything needs more work :)

Did an olympic lifting workshop today which was excellent. Now I should have the technique down for cleaning the bar up for my front squats etc (don't get me wrong, needs lots of practice! :) )

So 3 hours of that down at Crossfit in Sandyford and then walked over to Westwood enjoying a bag of Biltong in the sun for a bit of energy :pac::pac: before the day's workout:

Swiss ball leg curls 20reps + Bench press 8reps for 6sets (Bench @ 2x60 2x65 2x70KG).
    Finished with 15reps of Straight leg deadlifts + 40% less weight on bench for 4 sets (SLDL @ 2x50 2x60 - Bench @ 40KG).

As many rounds as possible in 20mins of:
    10 press ups, 10 squats, 20 sit ups and 200m run.

Now it started pouring down outside when I wanted to go for this and I don't have a skipping rope so I just found a nice straight line in the office which measured out to exactly 50 meters.

Queue me running up and down whilst my colleagues wonder about my sanity :pac:

I got to 8 rounds (100m shy of completing the 9th round :rolleyes: ). Makes for a total of 90 pushups, 90 squats, 180 situps and 1.7KM. All packed into 20 minutes of fun at the office :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

1ceman wrote: »
    As many rounds as possible in 20mins of:
    10 press ups, 10 squats, 20 sit ups and 200m run.

Now it started pouring down outside when I wanted to go for this and I don't have a skipping rope so I just found a nice straight line in the office which measured out to exactly 50 meters.

Queue me running up and down whilst my colleagues wonder about my sanity :pac:

I got to 8 rounds (100m shy of completing the 9th round :rolleyes: ). Makes for a total of 90 pushups, 90 squats, 180 situps and 1.7KM. All packed into 20 minutes of fun at the office :D
    super job man and fair play on just getting it done - did an 8km run today in the same conditions! Cooling though

Couplet of step lunges (8reps) + Dips (5 reps) - I went for 4 sets.
    Lunges:
    2x13KG
    2x15KG

Dips: (first time weighted)
    2x5KG
    2x10KG

Then – OH squat 10reps + 500m row x 5 rounds
    OH Squat:
    1x20
    4x30

And of course the 5x500m on the Concept2.

The last 2 sets of OH squats felt somehow better and possibly a little easier than the first ones. Could be down to me improving my technique as I go?

Was in a rush going through this so it made for a pretty tough session. Particularly the OH squats / rowing (wheel still spinning on the rower when I get back from walking upstairs and doing 10 OH squats = win :D )

Happy enough with the day and the way my training has been going lately!

Light run train for 20mins (3.25KM on a treadmill)
    Then couplet of One arm snatch for 3reps + Box hop 6 reps for 6sets.

Snatch:
    1x7.5KG
    5x12.5KG

I was focusing more on getting my technique right than putting an heavy weight overhead. Kinda hard thinking of so many things in such a quick movement but sure we'll get there one day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Light run train for 20mins (3.25KM on a treadmill)
    Then couplet of One arm snatch for 3reps + Box hop 6 reps for 6sets.

Snatch:
    1x7.5KG
    5x12.5KG

I was focusing more on getting my technique right than putting an heavy weight overhead. Kinda hard thinking of so many things in such a quick movement but sure we'll get there one day :)

Barbell or dumbell?

Barbell or dumbell?

Dumbbell

Edit:
    Page 2 of my training log woohoo!

Dumbbell

Edit:
    Page 2 of my training log woohoo!

Barbell FTW waaay cooler :pac:

Barbell FTW waaay cooler :pac:

You mean one arm snatch with a barbell? Hehe I guess :)

Need to get the technique though so I'm fine with this for now I think.

PS. You're the first person I don't actually know who comments on my training log. Welcome :D

60 Squats
    50 Kettlebell swings (20KG)
    40 press ups
    30 pull ups
    20 knees to elbows
    10 clean and press (15kg) per arm
    Farmers walk for 100 steps using 20kg weight in one hand (swapped hands at 50 steps)

Didn't time specifically but according to the clock on the wall this took me 25 minutes...

Did not sleep well last night, didn't eat well this morning and was really not feeling up for a session but got it done :)

Farmers walk for 100 steps using 20kg weight in one hand (swapped hands at 50 steps)

Sounds like a recipie for disaster imo.

Sounds like a recipie for disaster imo.

Why's that? 20KG isn't that heavy to walk with?

• Advertisement

Why's that? 20KG isn't that heavy to walk with?

It reads like you're loading unevenly? are you carrying on one side then the other?

It reads like you're loading unevenly? are you carrying on one side then the other?
    thats the whole point of it - only load one side and get those obliques and lumbar muscles working!

Transform wrote: »
    thats the whole point of it - only load one side and get those obliques and lumbar muscles working!

That's what I thought. Good to know I wasn't wrong :D

Couplet of Deadlift + Dumbbell bench press 5 x 10reps
    Deadlift:
    1x60
    1x80
    3x100

Wasn't feeling the deadlift today, probably because my back is still pretty sore from those 50 KB swings on Thursday...

Bench
    1x17.5
    2x25
    1x30 (failure at 9reps)
    1x 25

Then – 10mins of HIIT - 1.15mins easy and 45secs hard on a crosstrainer.

Today's metcon was a Kettlebell swing/Inverted rows ladder.

In case anyone is not in the know, like myself up until a few weeks ago, a ladder goes as follows:
    2 kettlebell swings and 2 inverted rows the first minute, 4 reps on each the second minute and then add one rep onto each for as many minutes as possible.

Since I had to do inverted rows I walked down to the park to a station where I could do them. This makes for about a 1.5KM walk each way with the 20KG KB in my backpack :D

I got to 14 reps finished in 12:00 flat (knew the 15 wasn't gonna happen by that :) ). This makes a total rep count of 101 KB swings and inverted rows.

Nice little workout but after 50 KB swings on Thursday, 50 deadlifts yesterday and 101 KB swings today, my back would like to say: Ouch

Today's metcon was a Kettlebell swing/Inverted rows ladder.

In case anyone is not in the know, like myself up until a few weeks ago, a ladder goes as follows:
    2 kettlebell swings and 2 inverted rows the first minute, 4 reps on each the second minute and then add one rep onto each for as many minutes as possible.

Since I had to do inverted rows I walked down to the park to a station where I could do them. This makes for about a 1.5KM walk each way with the 20KG KB in my backpack :D

I got to 14 reps finished in 12:00 flat (knew the 15 wasn't gonna happen by that :) ). This makes a total rep count of 101 KB swings and inverted rows.

Nice little workout but after 50 KB swings on Thursday, 50 deadlifts yesterday and 101 KB swings today, my back would like to say: Ouch
    massive effort man and keep up the great work - less swing next week

Couplet of back squats + depth jumps for 7 sets of 3reps.

Squats:
    15 reps bar only
    1x60KG
    1x80KG
    4x90KG
    1x92.5KG
    92.5 would be a PR for me at the moment but obviously I could go more on a 1 max as this was a working set...

Maybe it's not clear but when I put 1x90KG I mean 1 SET at 90KG and not 1 rep... I always do all the reps unless otherwise mentioned :D

Then – Row 500m x 3 for best time
    Round 1: 1:37,7
    Round 2: 1:49,3 (after this round, my arms and legs were in looots of pain)
    Round 3: 1:54,7

Obviously best time on round 1 here... Don't know if anything else can be expected ?

Happy with this session, I was pretty spent after it!

Couplet of back squats + depth jumps for 7 sets of 3reps.

Squats:
    15 reps bar only
    1x60KG
    1x80KG
    4x90KG
    1x92.5KG
    92.5 would be a PR for me at the moment but obviously I could go more on a 1 max as this was a working set...

Maybe it's not clear but when I put 1x90KG I mean 1 SET at 90KG and not 1 rep... I always do all the reps unless otherwise mentioned :D

Then – Row 500m x 3 for best time
    Round 1: 1:37,7
    Round 2: 1:49,3 (after this round, my arms and legs were in looots of pain)
    Round 3: 1:54,7

Obviously best time on round 1 here... Don't know if anything else can be expected ?

Happy with this session, I was pretty spent after it!
    good row and as your fitness improves there will be such a big difference between the times

Transform wrote: »
    good row and as your fitness improves there will be such a big difference between the times

Do you mean there won't be such a big difference between the times? Cause I was thinking with 17 seconds between 1st and 3rd round that this was a fast drop in endurance. :)

• Advertisement

5 rounds of 45secs AMRAP (as many reps as possible) Deadlifts 70kg, rest 15secs then 45secs burpees.

Got a total of 55 deadlifts and 54 burpees.

Was feeling hungry going in so not the best levels of energy, can probably get a bit better score.

Advertisement