Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sizzling Pakistan: 53.0°C!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Actually, according to the Paksitan Met Office, 53.5°C was reached at Mohen Jo Daro!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.pakmet.com.pk/FFD/cp/evening.htm

Su Campu wrote: »
    Actually, according to the Paksitan Met Office, 53.5°C was reached at Mohen Jo Daro!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.pakmet.com.pk/FFD/cp/evening.htm

The Indus Valley!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_Valley_Civilization#Late_Harappan
    A possible natural reason for the IVC's decline is connected with climate change that is also signaled for the neighboring areas of the Middle East: The Indus valley climate grew significantly cooler and drier from about 1800 BCE, linked to a general weakening of the monsoon at that time

Monsoons are driven by rising air caused by heat. One reason why a warmer planet 6,000 years ago had a green sahara and why global warming isnt all as bad as Al Gore says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Some major heat throughout Pakistan and India today!
    1 Coleraine (N.I) 55.9 °C
    2 Sibi (Pakistan) 53.0 °C
    3 Jacobabad (Pakistan) 52.5 °C
    4 Pad Idan (Pakistan) 52.5 °C
    5 Nawabshah (Pakistan) 52.2 °C
    6 Rohri (Pakistan) 50.0 °C
    7 Bahawalnagar (Pakistan) 49.5 °C
    8 Ganganagar (India) 49.3 °C
    9 Sargodha (Pakistan) 49.0 °C
    10 Khanpur (Pakistan) 48.8 °C
    11 Kota Aerodrome (India) 48.4 °C

Wow! :eek:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Su Campu viewpost.gif
    Some major heat throughout Pakistan and India today!
    1 Coleraine (N.I) 55.9 °C
    2 Sibi (Pakistan) 53.0 °C
    3 Jacobabad (Pakistan) 52.5 °C
    4 Pad Idan (Pakistan) 52.5 °C
    5 Nawabshah (Pakistan) 52.2 °C
    6 Rohri (Pakistan) 50.0 °C
    7 Bahawalnagar (Pakistan) 49.5 °C
    8 Ganganagar (India) 49.3 °C
    9 Sargodha (Pakistan) 49.0 °C
    10 Khanpur (Pakistan) 48.8 °C
    11 Kota Aerodrome (India) 48.4 °C

Wow! :eek:

:D:D But there was snow there too...well, on the hills behind anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I wouldnt say anybody got near that in the Boards Forecast Contest for May :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

You could use the bonnet of a car as a BBQ in that kind of heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Still a bit way off Libya's 57.8c world record set in 1922. I experienced 54c myself in a glasshouse in the summer of 1995. It was over 31c outside that day. Got goose pimples from the sudden temp change when I went out side. The humidity was almost unbearable!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

A new record for Pakistan set on the 26th (53.5 C) according to updated information on Wikipedia (I know ...) :cool:

Close but not quite a record for all of Asia according to that source, 55 C was recorded in Iran.

We were near death here last summer when it hit 34 C to break our all-time record, and I've seen 45 C in Arizona (although that felt no hotter due to the low humidity) ... but 53.5 they can keep thanks. :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

23.5c and I'm in a bit of a sweat! :) Just can't imagine another 30c on top of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

A new record for Pakistan set on the 26th (53.5 C) according to updated information on Wikipedia (I know ...) :cool:

Close but not quite a record for all of Asia according to that source, 55 C was recorded in Iran.

We were near death here last summer when it hit 34 C to break our all-time record, and I've seen 45 C in Arizona (although that felt no hotter due to the low humidity) ... but 53.5 they can keep thanks. :D

That's HOT! Two years ago was in Croatia and Bosnia were they experienced a heat wave it reached 47c on many a day and the Humanity was in the high 80's. One thing i will always remember is when you had a shower there was no point drying yourself i never sweated has much in all my life. We got home and getting of the plane at Dublin airport we cheered it was 14c and raining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

I have experienced up to 48 or may be a bit more in Chennai, India.

While anything over 35 is very hot, when mercury went above 40, I could feel the difference between every degree. There were this one week where temperature that went 45, 47, 46, 47, 48 - I could tell the difference in temperature each day, and step out of the air-conditioned area, the heat is like walking into a brick wall - you can really feel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Experienced 49c in Vegas. It was 32c at night then too. We spent the whole time in the Aircon hotel as a result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    the Humanity was in the high 80's.

The poor old dears!

For me anything over 20c is death valley territory

That's HOT! Two years ago was in Croatia and Bosnia were they experienced a heat wave it reached 47c on many a day and the Humanity was in the high 80's.

I hate to be pedantic but it is impossible to have relative humidities in the 80s with a temperature of 47°C. That would imply a dewpoint of 42°C, which is unheard of anywhere in the world.

The highest dewpoint ever recorded was 35°C in Dharhan, Saudi Arabia, in 2003. Gulf areas can regularly have dewpoints around 30°C in late summer, but not in Europe. The highest relative humidity it reached when you were there may have been above 80%, but at the coolest time of the day, around dawn. Remember, the hottest part of the day usually has the lowest relative humidity, and vice versa.

A Pakistani Met Office Press Release...
    Press Release
    Record breaking heat in Pakistan
    Highest maximum temperature was recorded 53.5°C in MohenjuDaro and 53 in Sibbi.
    Extreme heat likely to subside from Thursday evening
    Record breaking extreme heat observed in the plain areas of Sindh and Balochistan on Wednesday. Most plain areas of the country remained in the grip of Loo today. Highest maximum temperature was recorded 53.5°C in MohenjoDaro and 53 in Sibbi, 52.5 in Jacobabad, Larkana and Padidan.52 in Nawabshah, and 50 in Rahim yar Khan, Dadu and Sukkar.
    Previous extreme heat wave conditions were observed in 1998 in the country.
    The current extreme heating is likely to subside from Thursday afternoon/evening after dust storm /isolated rain over Northern Punjab, upper Khyber Pakhtoonkhawa, Gilgit-Baltistan, Kashmir and Islamabad.
    Today’s Maximum Temperatures of some other Cities:
    Mianwali= 49, Bhakar = 48.5, Faisalabad, Jhelum=48, Mandibhaudin, D.G,Khan, Lahore, Multan, Bannu , D.I.Kahan =47, Bhawalpur, Gujaranwala=46,Islamabad=44, Karachi=36, Peshawar=44, Quetta=38, Muzaffarabad=44°C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

39/40 was the hottest i ever experiences, heatwave in france in 2003. Aircon meant the car ad the pool were the only comfortable places!!!

I hate to be pedantic but it is impossible to have relative humidities in the 80s with a temperature of 47°C. That would imply a dewpoint of 42°C, which is unheard of anywhere in the world.

The highest dewpoint ever recorded was 35°C in Dharhan, Saudi Arabia, in 2003. Gulf areas can regularly have dewpoints around 30°C in late summer, but not in Europe. The highest relative humidity it reached when you were there may have been above 80%, but at the coolest time of the day, around dawn. Remember, the hottest part of the day usually has the lowest relative humidity, and vice versa.

Yes 80%, sorry i was meant to say 80%.

Ooh! and we had no Air con were we were staying really unbearable, the only place were we got air conditioning was on the bus to the airport and the Hospital when we got dehydrated.:cool:

Ooh! and we had no Air con were we were staying really unbearable, the only place were we got air conditioning was on the bus to the airport and the Hospital when we got dehydrated.:cool:

I didn't need any HotWhiskeys there!:D

Holy mother of f...

Just take a look at the Heat index at Sibi (Heat Index = temperature perceived by humans/animals when effects of humidity and windspeed are taken into account).

Temperature of 46.7 and dewpoint 34.7°C combined to give a heat index of....wait for it....

84°C!!!! :eek:

The dewpoint is higher than skin temperature, so sweat will not evaporate, hence the body cannot cool, and therefore it's like being in an oven at 84°C!

Let nobody here ever complain again that it's too hot here at 25°C!!

115153.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

ah but sure it was 59 degrees in coleraine last week......

hottest i experienced was also las vegas, in july a few years back.into the 40's, amazing how fast you get burnt in that sort of heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

df1985 wrote: »
    ah but sure it was 59 degrees in coleraine last week......

hottest i experienced was also las vegas, in july a few years back.into the 40's, amazing how fast you get burnt in that sort of heat.

fahrenheit . . .:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

df1985 wrote: »

As a native Australian from near Melbourne, low/mid 40s is as high as I've got too. But relative humidity would sometimes get into single figure %ages. Barely a drop of moisture in the air and ideal conditions for fires. :eek:

But also great conditions for just sitting outside under the tree with a water spray bottle - evaporative cooling never works better. :) Beaches often become *less* busy when it gets so hot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well it was over 40c in florida when i was there two years ago and it felt fine. I didn't burn or anything and i was out the whole time, i never seem to burn or tan and i don't know why i never feel hot either. Last week i was out all day and it was like 25c and i didn't burn,tan nothing and ones i knew came in like beetroots. My dad opens all the windows at 20c and says its roasing, i don't know why everyone always gets roasting for me seriously it would have to be about 50c for me to feel roasting, i never sweat.

Today's Asian Top 10....

1 Multan (Pakistan) 50.0 °C
    2 Rohri (Pakistan) 50.0 °C
    3 Nawabshah (Pakistan) 49.5 °C
    4 Khanpur (Pakistan) 49.2 °C
    5 Sibi (Pakistan) 49.0 °C
    6 Bahawalnagar (Pakistan) 48.5 °C
    7 Jaisalmer (India) 48.0 °C
    8 Pad Idan (Pakistan) 48.0 °C
    9 Hissar (India) 47.9 °C
    10 Bikaner (India) 47.6 °C

EDIT: The Paki Met have put today's max at 51.6°C in Mohen Jo Daro again, which isn't reported in the synoptic observations above so musn't be a synoptic station, but is still a legitimate reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Very interesting stuff Su! Thanks for the updates:)
    owenc wrote: »
    it would have to be about 50c for me to feel roasting, i never sweat.

Quote of the year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

trogdor wrote: »
    Quote of the year:D

Owenc is a gem! Boards.ie would a duller be place without him :D

Kuwait graps the headlines with temperatures up to 53.7°C Tuesday! :eek::eek:

1 Mitribah (Kuwait)53.7 °C
    Jahra (Kuwait)51.8 °C
    Shuwaikh (Kuwait)51.6 °C
    Abdaly (Kuwait)51.5 °C
    Sulaibiya (Kuwait)51.2 °C
    Kuwait Internationalairport (Kuwait)50.6 °C
    Warba (Kuwait)50.5 °C
    Minagish (Kuwait)50.2 °C
    Bubiyan (Kuwait)50.1 °C
    Ahwaz (Iran)49.8 °C

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

What the hell can you do when it's 50 degrees?

I remember standing in the shade when it was 37 degrees. The pool was just 2.5m away, but I never made it. I just sat down where I was and tried not to move... I guess it was a choice between swimming in a frying pan or sitting in an oven...

• Advertisement

Oink wrote: »
    What the hell can you do when it's 50 degrees?

Dewpoints were around -1°C so that meant relative humidity of only around 4%, so while it was hot, there are cooler but more humid places that would FEEL hotter (the 84°C heat index in Pakistan above, for instance!!)

Advertisement