Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beautiful weather for sailing

Options
  • 26-05-2010 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

0C13157CC20047A88CFD1BA76B67017D-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

112672EBB8144A8BAE1F219B9ABD445B-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Regrattably John it wasn't!

The wind died to nothing, we barely got a race finished and once the sun went down it was feezing!

But I agree it looked nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I notice you all have Hyde sails, I know the guy who sells tem here in Ireland if u need new sails etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

hi guys..
    sorry to hijack the tread... but are you members of the sailing club?..just wondering how a complete beginner would get into this?... is it an expensive past time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

jobless wrote: »
    hi guys..
    sorry to hijack the tread... but are you members of the sailing club?..just wondering how a complete beginner would get into this?... is it an expensive past time?

Have you always harbored an interest?

coat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

jobless wrote: »
    hi guys..

I am a member of the club. Its easy to get started by way of one of our adult training courses which run over a weekend. Regrettably the last one is this weekend but its not full so if you go to the GSC website and follow the link for learn to sail you could get on. (If you have problems PM me and I will get you a phone number) You dont need to know anything at all about boats or be a strong swimmer or anything like that. By the end of the weekend you will know if sailing is for you.

Sailing is not at all expensive if you dont own a boat and as most boats need two people there is always a demand for crews. Buying a boat ranges from about €750 upwards. It costs a few hundred a year between club subscriptions, insurance, storage repairs etc. Relative to golf its very cheap (NB It is a VERY social sport so the drinking can get very expensive!)

Greystones is a very child friendly club and children start sailing from 10 onwards (They can and start a lot sooner if their parents sail) in a structured training syllabus.

Hope that helps

Advertisement