Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company domain name advice

Options
  • 26-05-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I'm about to develop a site for a company that has 3 different divisions. Say for this example that the name of the company is Murphy Ltd. They would like to have one main site and want a domain name along the likes of murphygroup.ie.

However, this name is taken. Can anyone recommend any alternatives to this, i.e. something that suggests that this is the group name of the company. murphy.ie is also taken so this won't work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

murphyltd.ie is free, whats the business about? If you're selling double glazed windows how about murphywindows.ie that's free too but of course if you're not selling windows it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Thanks for the reply. The business has three different sections, none of which are directly linked. That is why they want an overall "umbrella" style domain name along the lines of murphygroup.ie.

The reservation I would have about murphyltd.ie is the abbreviation of the word limited. That could be a pain when you're telling someone about the url.

Try an online thesaurus and see what words come up with "group" or "organisation" that you like. There are a few there that you can put up against murphy______.ie that are available - there's a few .com's available too but won't say them cause someone might decide to take it and hold it ransom from you for a higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The reservation I would have about murphyltd.ie is the abbreviation of the word limited. That could be a pain when you're telling someone about the url.

I agree - my rule of thumb is that you should be able to say a URL without having to explain any part of it (including hyphenation etc).

murphycompany.ie and murphyfirm.ie are available, but sound a little clumsy.

eoin wrote: »
    ...my rule of thumb is that you should be able to say a URL without having to explain any part of it (including hyphenation etc).

Yeah look the ltd thing wasn't really serious, I'd definately go with Eoin's advice.

I have two businesses and naming each was an amazingly long process because they were in saturated enough markets so every name we could come up with was taken. It can be a real pain trying to get a name that has the corresponding url free but if you can it's definately worth it because it'll be so much easier for clients to remember you and pass on your name without confusion.

There's murphyalliance.ie, murphycorporation.ie, murphyunion.ie ?

I'd also advise getting the .com if you can - only cost about €10 so you can stop anyone else getting it and using your name in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

worc wrote: »
    Yeah look the ltd thing wasn't really serious

Or just register murphyltd.ie AND murphylimited.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Thanks for the advice lads. Just to clarify that the name of the company is not Murphy, that was just an example I mentioned in the first post.

I did a quick domain search and have narrowed it down to limited.ie or enterprises.ie.

Cheers again lads.

Advertisement