Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish - Ordinary level LITIR help!

• 26-05-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, so I'm going to be doing the scéal and the litir for paper 1. I'm pretty unprepared for the litir. So could anyone give me advice on how to go about it; any help at all some general sentences that I could use in them at all for beginning, middle and conclusion or anything. Would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

I usually always start mine with :

Conas atá tú? Tá suil agam go bhfuil tú i mbarr na sláinte.

it's pretty handy.

and then just go on by saying something like thank you for the letter. I received yesterday and enjoyed reading it... and then go onto the main body of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I usually always start mine with :

Conas atá tú? Tá suil agam go bhfuil tú i mbarr na sláinte.

it's pretty handy.

and then just go on by saying something like thank you for the letter. I received yesterday and enjoyed reading it... and then go onto the main body of it.
    Thanks man.

Anything else at all I need all the help I can get, I want a B1 because I'm counting it for points.

A few filler sentences please. God I'm useless at Irish. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭YohanCabeye7

Chonaic me desperate housewives ar an telifis ar a ni a chloig agus cuireann me mo leabhair agus mo liathroidi ar mo mhala scoile ar a de a cholig.

Sin E.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Chonaic me desperate housewives ar an telifis ar a ni a chloig agus cuireann me mo leabhair agus mo liathroidi ar mo mhala scoile ar a de a cholig.

?????

The approach to the litir is fairly straightforward and formulaic.

-Learn off your opening e.g. Conas atá tú? Tá súil agam go bhfuil tú go maith. Tá brón orm nár scríobh mé níos luaithe ach bhí mé an-ghnóthach le déanaí.

-Learn off your conclusion e.g. Caithfidh mé imeacht anois, cloisim mo mháthair ag teacht ar ais agus tá ocras orm! Scríobh ar ais chugam. Slán go fóill

-Know a few addresses and where they go. The date will be on the exam paper.

-Use an Irish name that you can put a 'h' on e.g. A Mháire/A Sheáin

-Use your past, present and future tenses, each at least once.

If you do this, all you have to do on the day is figure out what they are looking for and make up the middle bit. Even if you misinterpret the question, there are more marks going for good Irish and the structure than relevance to the title.

Good luck.

deemark wrote: »
    ?????

The approach to the litir is fairly straightforward and formulaic.

-Learn off your opening e.g. Conas atá tú? Tá súil agam go bhfuil tú go maith. Tá brón orm nár scríobh mé níos luaithe ach bhí mé an-ghnóthach le déanaí.

-Learn off your conclusion e.g. Caithfidh mé imeacht anois, cloisim mo mháthair ag teacht ar ais agus tá ocras orm! Scríobh ar ais chugam. Slán go fóill

-Know a few addresses and where they go. The date will be on the exam paper.

-Use an Irish name that you can put a 'h' on e.g. A Mháire/A Sheáin

-Use your past, present and future tenses, each at least once.

If you do this, all you have to do on the day is figure out what they are looking for and make up the middle bit. Even if you misinterpret the question, there are more marks going for good Irish and the structure than relevance to the title.

Good luck.
    Thanks. A lot of help there in your post!

Anyone got a spare Irish address now? I'm not sure mine is fully Irish, I want to make a good impression. :D

• Advertisement

Finical wrote: »
    Thanks. A lot of help there in your post!

Anyone got a spare Irish address now? I'm not sure mine is fully Irish, I want to make a good impression. :D

Just invent one that's easy to spell e.g. 17 Bóthar na Trá, Gaillimh or use a placename from the comprehension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

for the date do you just do the number "17" or "17ú"? I can never remember

for the date do you just do the number "17" or "17ú"? I can never remember

It'll be on the front of the exam paper. Just the number is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Make sure to spell Dublin exactly like Co. Bhaile Átha Cliath. Know an address that's easy to remember. My teacher enforces 33 Bóthar Naomh Eoin, Dún Laoghaire on us.

The date must have an ú, eg 27ú Bealtaine 2010.

Make sure you understand who you're writing to from what is asked. If you are told to write to a friend, write "A Thomáis, a chara" or any other name, but make sure you put it into Irish spelling. If you're told to write to your parents, it's "A Thuismitheoirí dhil,"

For the opening, use "Conas atá tú? Tá súil agam go bhfuil tú i mbarr na sláinte!" It's very handy.

Try not to go off-topic for the rest of it. For the first part you answer the question that's given. You can ask a few questions at the end like "An bhfuil nuachta agat?" or something.

I close my letter with
    "Bhuel, ní tuilleadh nuachta agam. Feicfidh mé tú go luath!
    Slán go foill
    *name*"

Optionally, you can put in a postscript like
    "I.S. Abair le Liam go raibh mé ag cur a thuairisce."

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Ruski wrote: »
    Make sure you understand who you're writing to from what is asked. If you are told to write to a friend, write "A Thomáis, a chara" or any other name, but make sure you put it into Irish spelling. If you're told to write to your parents, it's "A Thuismitheoirí dhil,"

For the opening, use "Conas atá tú? Tá súil agam go bhfuil tú i mbarr na sláinte!" It's very handy.

Try not to go off-topic for the rest of it. For the first part you answer the question that's given. You can ask a few questions at the end like "An bhfuil nuachta agat?" or something.

I close my letter with
    "Bhuel, ní tuilleadh nuachta agam. Feicfidh mé tú go luath!
    Slán go foill
    *name*"

Optionally, you can put in a postscript like
    "I.S. Abair le Liam go raibh mé ag cur a thuairisce."

yeah good advice i would usually close with, beidh me ag suil le teasc uait go luath! = i will be expecting a txt from you soon ! and abair le do thuismitheori go raibh me ag cur a dtuairsce . . . For the BODY OF THE LETTER to get good marks its better to use phrases like taim ar muin na muice (im on the pigs back) .... or taim ar scamaill a naoi ...:cool:

• Advertisement

Nice one. Great advice from the lot of ye. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 join the discussion

Cool...is there any secrets to a higher level paper? I have tests next week and am v. worried!!

Advertisement