Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fly Reel Recommendations

• 26-05-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

I gotta get me a new fly reel.

I currently have a Greys G-series 7/8 fly rod and need to find a nice reel for it. At the mo I'm using my saltwater fly reel with it as the line on it is a no.7 but I need to get something a little lighter for a nice, balanced outfit.

Now since this one is a bit out of budget :eek: any one have any recommendations? Having being looking for last couple of days on and off but there's just too much choice!

Budget is around the €70-100 mark. Don't mind buying it online. Anyone see anything nice lately? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You should take a good look at the Pfleuger Trion fly reel series.
    From the same manufacturer, they are almost identical to the Orvis Battenkill series, and the Redington ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i could never understand the mad prices/emphasis on trout fly-reels... i only ever use it to hold me line.. i play my fish by hand on the slack... the reel is just a holder for the line..

flanum wrote: »
    i could never understand the mad prices/emphasis on trout fly-reels... i only ever use it to hold me line.. i play my fish by hand on the slack... the reel is just a holder for the line..

That's ok until you start regularly getting fish that take you into the backing.
    Salmon fishing teaches you quickly why you need to have a long distance fish playing system worked out in advance.
    Trouting takes longer but you eventually learn with a great fish what will happen, usually a heavy fish hooked in shallow water that decided it wants to be back in the deeps right now!
    The spare line at your feet zips out incredible fast.
    Suddenly every line catching object - every bankside stick, sprig of cow parsley, fern leaf, buckle or strap on your shoe/boot, line around the reel handle, or inadvertent toe placed on the line at your feet is capable of breaking the leader by bringing a running fish to a sudden stop. Ping goes the leader at the fly!

It works in small rivers, for smaller fish. The trout that shows the weakness in such an approach is the monster you really really don't want to lose!

Now don't take this as opposite advice, it's just a suggestion that using the reel as a line storage only is not the middle road. I used to have top notch reels at higher cost. Now I look for adequate - with a little spare capacity in performance. Not outrageously priced, more upper-middle cost. But a smooth drag and room for backing, I consider those to be "must have" features. The smooth drag allows me to play fast running fish without breaking light leaders necessary to trick those fish into taking my fly, the backing enlarges the space I have to far enought to slow them down and stop them - usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

coolwings wrote: »
    That's ok until you start regularly getting fish that take you into the backing.
    Salmon fishing teaches you quickly why you need to have a long distance fish playing system worked out in advance.
    Trouting takes longer but you eventually learn with a great fish what will happen, usually a heavy fish hooked in shallow water that decided it wants to be back in the deeps right now!
    The spare line at your feet zips out incredible fast.
    Suddenly every line catching object - every bankside stick, sprig of cow parsley, fern leaf, buckle or strap on your shoe/boot, line around the reel handle, or inadvertent toe placed on the line at your feet is capable of breaking the leader by bringing a running fish to a sudden stop. Ping goes the leader at the fly!

It works in small rivers, for smaller fish. The trout that shows the weakness in such an approach is the monster you really really don't want to lose!

Now don't take this as opposite advice, it's just a suggestion that using the reel as a line storage only is not the middle road. I used to have top notch reels at higher cost. Now I look for adequate - with a little spare capacity in performance. Not outrageously priced, more upper-middle cost. But a smooth drag and room for backing, I consider those to be "must have" features. The smooth drag allows me to play fast running fish without breaking light leaders necessary to trick those fish into taking my fly, the backing enlarges the space I have to far enought to slow them down and stop them - usually.

Hi coolwings, i have a follow up question for you coz u seem to know your stuf. I'm thinking of getting a Greys GRXI+ 5-6# reel & rod 9ft for river fishing but i also would to use that 5-6# reel for another rod which is 7# . Would be ok to load a 7# line in that reel??

No problem putting a #7 on a reel rated #5-6.

Here is the differences:
    The #7 is thicker, so a full#7 will fill the reel up more than a #5 or #6. So if you have backing line under your flyline, the #7 might allow a shorter length of backing to be fitted on.
    A floater is thicker than a sinker line, so the difference is greatest if the #7 happens to be a floater. Might be 30 metres less backing difference between the 7 and the 5.

If you happen to use the #7 line on the rod rated #5-#6 ..... then ...
    Every rod has it's optimal weight it likes to cast for maximum distance. It has a range of weights that it casts kind of ok.
    The 7 gives the same casting weight for 10' less length than the 6, or 20' length than the 5.

( 30' of a #7 = 40' of a #6 = 50' of a #5 ).

So if you are in a short range casting situation, like casting wet flies from a drifting boat, the 7 might actually feel nicer with the 5-6 rod. Since the short length of thicker line gets enough weight out to make the rod work.
    On the other hand - if you are on the shore casting as far as you can, the #5 will feel better on the 5-6 rod. That is because the longer length of the thinner #5 line aerialised makes up the rod's ideal casting weight. (but a long length of thicker #7 line would exceed the rod's casting ability)

That's why they give a range on the rod's label and not a single number .... the heavier number suits short casts best, and the lighter number suits longer casts best. So you look at your fishing style and casting ability and choose the better one for you on that rod.

Tried to avoid jargon but it's hard. I hope this is clear enough :D

• Advertisement

Tks v.much, you were very helpful
    I do understand enough of jargon to get by, at this stage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

why not pick a suitable reel? the rell may seem small for the rod aswell which may look odd.

mupchease wrote: »
    why not pick a suitable reel? the rell may seem small for the rod aswell which may look odd.
    hi mupchease,
    The Greys GRXI+ 5-6# reel (if ya look it up) is not that small at all. It sems a good reel for the price and it comes with 3 spare spools. I thought that it would be a good buy, and that if I can use it for all my lines (which isn't many)it would take up less space rather than buying more reels. I have it ordered now so it's a bit late anyhow.!!! could ya look it up and tell me what you think, if you wish, as I'm not vrey expiranced when it comes to flyfishing tackle
    Tks.
    decdon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I know the GRXi+ Reels, they are cracking reels and I've been using greys reels for years now, they're pretty faultless and indestructable!

But it's always best to match the ratings on all fly fishing equipment! say you have a 5/6 rod and a 5/6 reel, i'd get a WF6 line for it.

Tks, I'll keep that in mind.
    Tight lines!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I have the Greys GRXi 7/8 and 9/10 reels, for my trout and salmon fishing. Nice smooth drag, plenty of line capacity, lightweight, 3 spare spools, couldn't ask for anything more. Haven't done any saltwater fishing with it, so not sure if its up to that, but its perfectly adequate for most game fishing situations you will encounter in Ireland.

Advertisement