Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning to play piano

• 26-05-2010 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

This summer I'm gonna have a lot of free time before I go to college. I want to do something productive with my time, so I've decided that I want to take up piano. I'm 19, so I'm kinda worried this is a bit old to be taking up an instrument. However, I'm really into jazz music and I've always kinda wished I could play a little bit. I don't expect to become an incrediable piano player, but I'd like to know the basics! How difficult is it to learn to play jazz piano?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Its pretty difficult but as with anything it's certainly possible with a bit of graft and conviction. You're certainly never too old to take up an instrument (took up the drums myself when i was around 20) but naturally before you have to learn to crawl before you walk before you run. Learn the basics first, definitely get some lessons so that you develop the right techniques and then maybe learn some simple chord progressions. Jazz piano grades do exist so naturally i'd advice you to look at those.

Can't really say much else, tried to start playing piano myself a good few years ago but only played for about a year before our piano was sold. Never really spent too much time developing as a player but managed to learn some nice classical pieces and some of the voicings of blue in green so i was happy enough! So yeah, just keep at it and you'll do great! Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

WhoDat wrote: »
    This summer I'm gonna have a lot of free time before I go to college. I want to do something productive with my time, so I've decided that I want to take up piano. I'm 19, so I'm kinda worried this is a bit old to be taking up an instrument. However, I'm really into jazz music and I've always kinda wished I could play a little bit. I don't expect to become an incrediable piano player, but I'd like to know the basics! How difficult is it to learn to play jazz piano?

Hey 19 is a great age...you are a baby!
    How about going to jazz gigs and choosing your teacher?

Do you have any background in music or piano?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WhoDat

No I don't have any background in piano. I can play a bit of guitar.

Advertisement