Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A novice runner's Dublin Marathon Training Log

Options
  • 26-05-2010 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs :) Which charity are you fundraising for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Best of luck have you ran any races lately /recent past ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

Same goal as me, and im a novice too! Great advice to be had on here! Best of luck with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭m2wua0ox56iz93

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That looks like a fast pace for your long run? You should be running those 60-90 seconds per mile slower than your planned marathon pace - the idea is to get time on your feet. If you run them too fast, you're going to use too much energy, and it'll compromise your other runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you've done any shorter races, you can use the McMillan calculator to get an idea of training paces by entering your result from a race you've done.

• Advertisement

That's my target too - I run my long runs at about 10 minutes per mile.

I'll be following the Novice2 programme because I want some faster training runs, but it's only one midweek run that's at planned marathon pace. Most of your running should be slower than race pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

The pace of all your runs should be dictated by your level of fitness now and not some hoped for pace in the future. Be patient. Work with where you are and you will improve. Working at where you want to be (if that is not your current level) will lead to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

Doing the same. I'm a complete novice. I'm 6'2" and 92kg. At the moment i am runing 10km in 46 minutes. My plan is to try and keep this intensity over longer and longer distances up to 32km. I use a garmin heart rate monitor/GPS which i find really useful for pacing.

Am i going about training the correct way?

(DISCLAIMER - this is what I've read on here and in books, I'm just at the start of my first marathon training program myself. Join in on the novice thread , or read last year's thread, and you'll learn more)

Running a marathon is something you build up to with 4/5 months of training. You're going to spend the last two weeks before the marathon tapering to build energy, and the two weeks after recovering. All of your training is about getting you prepared for that day, so you can run the best possible race then.

In the 18 weeks of training, you'll be running four times a week, and each run will have a purpose. Your long run is just one of those runs. If you race every long run at marathon pace, you are going to become exhausted. You might be able to handle it in the beginning, but your midweek runs will start to suffer, and your body will start to protest. It would be like running a race every weekend - you could manage it for a few weeks, but it will break you down. It won't get you to the end of 18 weeks in peak condition.

Your long slow runs should be teaching you how to spend a long time on your feet. They should be a hard run, in that you'll be tired afterwards, but you should be able to do another hard run a few days later. You shouldn't be wrecked for the week. So take them easy, run 60-90 seconds below your planned race pace.

(And if you think this is really, really too slow, maybe take another look at your planned race pace? Are you being unambitious? Would you be better off with a higher mileage plan? Or a plan that includes some faster runs? If it's your first marathon, it might be too soon to include PMP miles in your long runs... but see disclaimer above)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Dutchie wrote: »
    Doing the same. I'm a complete novice. I'm 6'2" and 92kg. At the moment i am runing 10km in 46 minutes. My plan is to try and keep this intensity over longer and longer distances up to 32km. I use a garmin heart rate monitor/GPS which i find really useful for pacing.

Am i going about training the correct way?

Have a look at the structure of some of the online training plans available. Even if you don't follow it you will get an idea of the types of run and paces you should be working at.

• Advertisement