Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good free website builders?

Options
  • 26-05-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Are there any good free website builder tools available that anyone would recommend?
    I want to build my own personal website for to help me get a job and I'd like to do it quickly.
    Is there any free website bulders that are good that anyone would recommend?

I'll probably have to find some free hosting somewhere.
    I think I tried byethost before so I'll probably use them again for that if I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What kind of job you looking to get with the aid of this website? I'm presuming a web developer job?

To be honest nothing will stand out more than a site that's designed with a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor that is when you use them in "design" mode dragging and dropping elements.

Invest the time and effort into learning to develop sites using a basic text editor (with syntax highlighting) i recommend:

Windows: editplus, notepad++
    Mac: Smultron, coda (not free).

and learn why you use such and such an element here etc. It may take you longer to develop sites at first but if it's being used to show your potential employers it's essential that you impress them and a load of code that's injected by the likes of dreamweaver will have the reverse effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Need _way_ more info. What kind of site do you want, what kind of job do you want, do you have/want a domain name, what is your experience level etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Like Creamy has said, nothing will stand out more than a site built using a WYSIWYG. We need more info to advise tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Yes the kind of job I'll be looking for with it is web developer.
    I have 9 months experience and a degree.

You guys are right I guess I should spend some time working on it using some css and html coding rather than using a WYSIWYG tool to build it.

Hopefully I'll be able do build something that looks decent.
    The problem really is getting the page to look nice with nice graphics.
    I haven't used photoshop and don't have it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you're a web developer, why do you need a site? Developers don't really need a portfolio in the same way designers do.

Having said that, Wordpress with a decent skin will probably get you 90% of the way there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

You may do your chances more harm than good by using some publishing tool to build a website. Although some companies use them also, so in that sense it may help if you use the same tool as they use.

However, i would think that if you are looking for a developer role, you could just download a simple template and go from there. Then you should add things like JQuery, Maps etc. and show that you can use them. The more technologies you can put in there the better such as PHP / ASP / AS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 NYC353

p wrote: »

Having said that, Wordpress with a decent skin will probably get you 90% of the way there.

I agree with wordpress, maybe try joomla! either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Yes the kind of job I'll be looking for with it is web developer.
    I have 9 months experience and a degree.

Then I would suggest that using a free tool would certainly work against you.

If I was hiring someone to do development I would expect them to be able to do precisely that.

Advertisement